• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Little Cottonwood Canyon 2018-2019, Reports, Pics, and Banter

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anybody used Turo? Just checked out some AWDs with snow tires and very reasonable.

GNARpts

Booting up
Skier
I use Turo religiously. I’ve used it since it was called RelayRides, and it’s only gotten better, if a bit more expensive. It’s a great service and almost every single person I’ve rented from has been awesome. Can’t recommend it enough.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Nice day today, tough vis at times but soft snow. It was just the sweet spot of enough new snow to make it fun but not enough to draw in the valley crowds. There wasn’t much road parking nor lift/tram lines.

Tomorrow looks to be much the same. So far it looks like the Snowbird Ride app is fizzling. I’ve offered up rides the last few weeks and have gotten no interest whatsoever. I have one available from the LCC park and ride tomorrow morning. Snowbird’s marketing director also has one available tomorrow morning from there, that could be an interesting ride. I really hope this thing catches on and people use it, I head to the mountain every weekend by myself. There are many pick up spots near bus lines, easy to move about.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well our first ski day in Utah is in the books and I’d say it was a good one. We left our rental this morning at 7:45 and headed up to Solitude. It was snowing on the way and there was a decent line of cars turning onto the canyon road.

The lights were flashing for chains and 4wd/snow tires but nobody was checking (our rental doesn’t have snow tires). I almost pulled into the park and ride lot but decided to go for it, it was no problem at all. It’s funny, the only problem I saw was someone with chains on the side of the road causing a little back up (I think one was coming off). I honestly don’t think the chains were needed.

Anyway, the skiing was great. Snowed until after lunch and we had a great time. Now we are trying to figure out where to go tomorrow. Thanks again everyone!!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice day today, tough vis at times but soft snow. It was just the sweet spot of enough new snow to make it fun but not enough to draw in the valley crowds. There wasn’t much road parking nor lift/tram lines.

Tomorrow looks to be much the same. So far it looks like the Snowbird Ride app is fizzling. I’ve offered up rides the last few weeks and have gotten no interest whatsoever. I have one available from the LCC park and ride tomorrow morning. Snowbird’s marketing director also has one available tomorrow morning from there, that could be an interesting ride. I really hope this thing catches on and people use it, I head to the mountain every weekend by myself. There are many pick up spots near bus lines, easy to move about.

Bob, I've been following your posts on and off all season. Thanks. I am settling in the vicinity and should be at Snowbird a lot over the next two months. I'll look for you and T in case we get a chance to make a few turns together.

Today was my first day at Snowbird in 8 days. Conditions are great with lots of snow everywhere. Good 1 foot+ snow storm coming Wednesday.
Here is a view from Wilbere Bowl, my favorite run of the day. The kids blew by me while I was sucking wind.
DSCN9105.jpg
View of Wilbere Bowl (center) from Gadzoom chair.
DSCN9108.jpg

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Nice Jim! You know what we look like and we’re always there. I see Vince quite often. Today was a lot better than I had anticipated, they claimed 5 inches but it skied a lot deeper than that. It was world Telemark day yesterday and today Travis and I showed around the organizer of the Midwest Telefest who was in town to embrace the festivities. Fun dude and I think he had a good time.

Traffic once again started the day, I let the robot overlords talk me into getting off at 2000e, not sure it helped as I encountered standstill traffic before Wasatch blvd. pro tip=either back off the morning coffee/soda or bring a pee bottle. The meager 5 inch report didn’t seem to roust the resident powder princesses again, lines and road parking were at a minimum.

I wish they would go to a chains or snows position.

795D8E62-C4E0-4517-952A-5D4A91A1C82B.jpeg

It’s been a few years since climbing the snowbank has become an obstacle.

44F64C35-EF7A-453E-AD07-3B3B09A6863C.jpeg

Nice day...

370D17D0-7E8E-4BF1-9463-19D63347F300.jpeg

B0615E7C-26BD-4649-95E0-E4B2EB87E7EF.jpeg

692EF406-AA10-496C-9617-292926247616.jpeg

Noticed a new memorial today.

2EE4BF9A-C6CF-4B13-A4D1-76CF8D2CC134.jpeg

The snow globe looks to keep shaking.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
My thighs started burning just looking at that last pic of Travis. That is Travis who wears the green jacket, right?
Looks like a good day, indeed!

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
I heard there was an avalanche in bounds at Snowbird yesterday. Can't find any articles, anyone have any details?

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
I heard there was an avalanche in bounds at Snowbird yesterday. Can't find any articles, anyone have any details?

I left early yesterday and got the tweet saying Blackjack and high Baldy were closed for the remainder of day on my way home. According to someone on TGR somebody poached Comma Chute and touched off a slide that came over the cat track on Blackjack. Pretty stupid move.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Big snow coming. If you can believe this report nearly three feet will fall between tonight and Friday. This will be the first really big storm cycle I've caught since arriving out west. Although we had a pretty good one up at Big Sky with the gang last week; perhaps 18" from start to finish of Gathering?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Although we had a pretty good one up at Big Sky with the gang last week; perhaps 18" from start to finish of Gathering?

Big Sky reported 23" officially for the 6 days I skied, Sunday through Friday, according to OpenSnow (I think they pull the morning report each day).

OnTheSnow shows 40" for those same 6 days.

And this was the report at some time late in the week, as shown on the Ramcharger lift screen (pic by @mdf) :

p1070296-jpg.67306

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied from 9-1PM today at Snowbird. This is the kind of day I retired for. :P
About 8 inches new snow, a little heavy, but very nice for a Virginia boy and at a depth I find manageable. Crowds/traffic very moderate. Visibility was surprisingly good across much of the mtn, although occasional patches of fog in Peruvian or graupel in Little Cloud. Run of the day occurred about 1030AM on Great Scott, super creamy. Easiest turns of the morning. No photos, camera battery dead. Oh well, you don't have to take my word for it, come tomorrow - it may be even better.

Last edited:

GNARpts

Booting up
Skier
It indeed was a very fun day at the bird. Spent the day lapping all the sweet goods off the Baldy traverse. It’s Alta for me tomorrow.

Phelmut

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied from 9-1PM today at Snowbird. This is the kind of day I retired for. :P
About 8 inches new snow, a little heavy, but very nice for a Virginia boy and at a depth I find manageable. Crowds/traffic very moderate. Visibility was surprisingly good across much of the mtn, although occasional patches of fog in Peruvian or graupel in Little Cloud. Run of the day occurred about 1030AM on Great Scott, super creamy. Easiest turns of the morning. No photos, camera battery dead. Oh well, you don't have to take my word for it, come tomorrow - it may be even better.

jim will you be at the bird tomorrow? I'm coming in late tonight (flight delayed so eta probably midnight) but expect to get up there by 9nor so. I'll pm you my number.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
jim will you be at the bird tomorrow? I'm coming in late tonight (flight delayed so eta probably midnight) but expect to get up there by 9nor so. I'll pm you my number.
Yes. Keep an eye on UDOT traffic website to see what happens with LCC Rt 210.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
I’m going to try and sneak out of work early tomorrow. Predictions of 10-14 during the day, should be pretty good. Please have a stout vehicle if attempting to drive up tomorrow, with totals like that all-seasons while technically legal will be struggling.

I’ll be lapping the tram, dirty orange coat, black pants.

DAEC320B-F877-4F13-9ABC-EA9E8246395E.jpeg

Last edited:

Phelmut

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Im on line at the team and will be hanging in that area. bright gaper orange pants and yellow jacket.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know my life is generally blessed. But I am still feeling sorry for myself. Looking up at Snowbird on the kind of powder weekday you dream about. Pulled a muscle in my groin yesterday. Can't ski. Heading home early.

20190308_102224.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Get well Jerez!

I met up with @Phelmut for a few runs today at Snowbird. I'm not an expert on Utah snow, but it seemed like it was puking todayogwink

In the midst of about 10 new inches of snow they were holding some kind of junior bump contest:
DSCN9143.jpg DSCN9144.jpg

PHELMUT skied great and was impressive esp. considering it was his first day at altitude and he was operating on 3 hrs sleep. Here we are scoping out Great Scott. Visibility was poor on Peruvian side so we continued on Cirque Traverse and took a run down the glades of Wilbere Bowl.
DSCN9145.jpg

The mtn has gained a lot of fresh snow this week.

Sponsor