• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
You are probably in the minority. Like it or not manufacture place is still synonymous with quality (Italian shoes, Turkish rugs, Swiss watches). Also the trend in consumer goods is to give people more for less money, not less for the same money. And Kastle knows that damn well, this is why the new ski says "Austrian Technology" instead of " proudly made in Czech Republic'".
I'm in the minority about a lot of things, doesn't make me wrong. It's still a mostly free country, believe what you want

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Glad to see the expansion into kids and women's skis (aka shorter skis). A few years ago, when I looked at their kids line-up, it was only twin tips and while my LX 72s were perfectly fine (only adult ski of their's I could find short enough outside the kid's twin tips), it was cap construction, which I've come to learn I don't really love. Have since gotten rid of those and gone back to some junior race skis and am much happier for the change.

I'm not sure I follow what the big deal is as far as where they're manufactured. I have no idea where my Head junior race skis or Volkl Yumis were manufactured, but I like them both far more than I liked my LX72s made in Austria. :huh:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I have no idea where my Head junior race skis or Volkl Yumis were manufactured, but I like them both far more than I liked my LX72s made in Austria. :huh:

FWIW - I think your LX72s were made in Slovenia

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Everyone needs to breath a moment. Kastle is not moving ALL of their production to the Czech Republic...high end skis like the MX will still come from Austria.
I could not care any less about where a ski is made as long as it is high quality and does what I require. Nobody has perpetual ownership of making the best of anything as the world is constantly changing. Innovation itself causes change.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^Thx @AltaFan, your link answered the unanswered question I had to word differently in two seprate post regarding FX HP's and metal.

• New FX96 W: Lighter than men’s version with a wood core wrapped with fiberglass plus new, larger hollowtech tips for improved dampening.
  • New FX86 and FX116: “Non HP” with bigger hollowtech than previous versions (better dampening) and fiberglass plus wood in the cores. Lighter swingweights.
  • New FX96 and FX106: “HP” versions, but still without metal. HP indicates a carbon-sandwiched core. These also feature bigger hollowtech tips.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
^^^Thx @AltaFan, your link answered the unanswered question I had to word differently in two seprate post regarding FX HP's and metal.
  • New FX96 and FX106: “HP” versions, but still without metal. HP indicates a carbon-sandwiched core. These also feature bigger hollowtech tips.

My jaw just dropped... So they now replaced metal layers with carbon...:popcorn:

James

Out There
Instructor
My jaw just dropped... So they now replaced metal layers with carbon...:popcorn:
Yeah I guess we'll see. Wouldn't be the first ski ruined by the lure of carbon, but maybe they can pull it off.

AltaFan

Booting up
Skier

• New FX96 W: Lighter than men’s version with a wood core wrapped with fiberglass plus new, larger hollowtech tips for improved dampening.
  • New FX86 and FX116: “Non HP” with bigger hollowtech than previous versions (better dampening) and fiberglass plus wood in the cores. Lighter swingweights.

I’m very curious to read the feedback on FX96 and FX106 during the snow testing this week. I’ve been checking out some of Chris Davenport’s pics and videos of what looks like the FX106.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Don’t really care either way - craftsmanship all over the World. But they did put “Austrian Technology” or something rather than “Made in Czech Republic”. So methinks that Kastle thinks people care. The carbon vs. metal is interesting.

Last edited:

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Taking a close look at a lot of skis, it is often impossible to learn where they are made. Indie brands (ski marketing companies not ski makers) are often guilty of this. I don’t really care where they were produced, but it seems that efforts are often being made to keep it a secret. Ski makers should be very clear on where their skis are made and not hide behind “designed in” crapola, and certainly don’t put the Austrian schwarz adler on a ski made elsewhere. That’s deceptive and dishonest, and shows your lack of conviction in your product. Be straight with your customers. My Ukrainian made Fischer Ranger 98’s were great. My wife’s Bulgarian made Atomic Cloud 9’s (with Romanian made Atomic bindings) are terrific.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Taking a close look at a lot of skis, it is often impossible to learn where they are made. Indie brands (ski marketing companies not ski makers) are often guilty of this. I don’t really care where they were produced, but it seems that efforts are often being made to keep it a secret. Ski makers should be very clear on where their skis are made and not hide behind “designed in” crapola, and certainly don’t put the Austrian schwarz adler on a ski made elsewhere. That’s deceptive and dishonest, and shows your lack of conviction in your product. Be straight with your customers. My Ukrainian made Fischer Ranger 98’s were great. My wife’s Bulgarian made Atomic Cloud 9’s (with Romanian made Atomic bindings) are terrific.

I think Apple started it a long time ago with the "Designed in California" :huh:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don’t really care either way - craftsmanship all over the World. But they did put “Austrian Technology” or something rather than “Made in Czech Republic”. So methinks that Kastle thinks people care. The carbon vs. metal is interesting.
I think they are more concerned about the quality of the design and quality of the build than separating the two and printing it on the skis.

procos

Putting on skis
Skier
I don't care where a ski is made as long as it rips. I care about feel. I can tell without a doubt when I am on a Kastle ski or something else. There is a flow to a Kastle ski that most others don't have. I have 4 pair of Kastles, a Stockli SR 105, an Atomic Auto 117 and Nordica Enforcer 100. All great skis but the Kastles feel better to me. They have something about the feel. So if they can replicate that in a factory in Zimbabwe then make them in Zimbabwe. Until I get a chance to ski them I won't know. But being made in Austria is irrelevant if they can replicate the feel.

Sponsor

Staff online