Kästle Announces Largest Model Line Increase Since 2007

Discussion in 'Hardgoods: Skis, Bindings, Poles, and More' started by Philpug, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

2020 FX 96 ... Inquiring minds want to know. Anyone at SIA ski it? @Ron , @SBrown , @FairToMiddlin ? PM me if it's a secret. ogwink

2. Thread Starter
    TS
    Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

I know @Drahtguy Kevin got on it. I will on Wednesday, it is a priority for me.

Daves not here and Tony S like this.
  3. Drahtguy Kevin

Drahtguy Kevin Après aficionado Pugski Ski Tester

The FX96 HP was exquisite. Light but damp with excellent snow feel. The new tip is a yuge improvement making turn initiation a snap. The ski seemingly knew where I wanted to go. The tail is secure and predictable.

4. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

Cool. Thanks. Did you get on the non-HP?

5. UGASkiDawg

UGASkiDawg AKA David Pugski Ski Tester

Couldn't disagree more....if you loved the outgoing fx95hp, I'd bet you will not like this ski.

ski otter 2, Wasatchman and Muleski like this.

6. Drahtguy Kevin

Drahtguy Kevin Après aficionado Pugski Ski Tester

No, not available. I don’t think it exists. This new model doesn’t have metal like the old HP. Carbon is the giggitty-giggitty in this ride. I found the flex even. I thought I’d miss the metal because I’m a fat bastard (something you’re not), but I didn’t.

otisshirley and Tony S like this.
  7. Thread Starter
    TS
    Philpug

Now I am really looking forward to skiing it ;) I was not a fan at all of the outgoing model. Like i said, I am looking forward to getting on this. My initial impression is that this ski is the best of the first and seconfd generation FX.

8. FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin Getting off the lift Pugski Ski Tester

Tony, there is no non-hp. They must have went with one (very non-hp) construction, and decided the “hp” suffix sounds cooler, even if it obliterates any continuity. Whatever.

Good news is, Kevin is right; it’s exquisite.

Tony S likes this.
  9. Freddo Bumps

Freddo Bumps Booting up Skier

Non-HP in the 85 if I recall correctly.

10. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Booting up Skier

When did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor?

11. Alexzn

Alexzn Ski Squaw Skier

Guys, can you be more specific? Seems like the new ski is a bit polarizing. I don't doubt that you can make a non-metal ski that is damp to some extent (I own the living proof of that idea: the Head Kore). I am a fan/owner of the current model, primarily for the damp ride that you get from metal and Kastle's partial rubber layer. I somewhat doubt you can recreate that feel with just carbon, but the proof is in the pudding. I actually like the reliability of the old tip, it is not the fastest to hook up on a groomer, but it is 100% predictable of piste and never gets bogged down in chunky snow. Curious what Kastle did to change its feel. @Philpug I never understood why you liked the FX105HP, but not the Fx95HP, even though they have a rather similar shape and build. Different categories?

Does anyone have a good picture of the new ski where you can actually see the shape?

Tony S likes this.
  12. Thread Starter
    TS
    Philpug

I wouldn't say so much that it was a different category but maybe a different feel. I have found that just because one construction works well in one area that it should in an other or in some cases it works better. i found that the BMX105 was a better application of it's desing and construction for the application than the 95..or even the 85. Some times scaling works and sometimes it doesn't.

ski otter 2 likes this.
  13. Alexzn

Alexzn Ski Squaw Skier

Yes sport, I was of course referring to the BMX105.

14. neonorchid

neonorchid Out on the slopes Skier

It is a quote from National Lampoon's Animal House 1978 comedy film about college fraternity life.

NESkier_26 and Beach Bum like this.
  15. Ron

Ron AKA Captain Voltaren Pugski Ski Tester

I got on the FX86 HP (the 96 was always out), I applaud Kastle for greatly improving the on-piste performance of the ski. The tip engaged very well and in the 177(?) I could easily roll the ski edge-to-edge and it was quite strong underfoot. Very stable at speed. Where it fell short for me was off piste. On the second day, we got about 3" and I took it on a run that had been mostly tracked so there was a mix of untracked patches, scraped off sections and push piles. On slower speed, shorter radius turns, the tip/shovel felt vague and nervous. IMHO, its overly stiff for me and just didnt have a good feel on the snow. I prefer a ski with softer tips (at the end) and a progressive flex/stiffness. I felt I really needed to drive the tips to get them to bend and hold well. Maybe heavier skiers might prefer the ski? In the past, I enjoyed the Non-Hp's which worked better for me,

EDIT: added thought. I am wondering if the FX's being only in HP means that Kastle's new DX (formally LX) line is intended for those skiers?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Wasatchman likes this.
  16. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Working on my technique all the time Skier

Very interesting to see the initial mixed reaction to the new FX. I'm not a fan of the outgoing version so if this new ski isn't like the 95HP then it's already a point in its favor.

17. Thread Starter
    TS
    Philpug

IMHO a good amount of the polarization with the new skis comes back to the inconsistency of the initial tunes. I will hold judgment until we can take that variable out.

18. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

I thought I finally understood the HP/Non-HP designations for the 2019-20 model year but now I'm back to being really confused. A photo (below) clearly shows placards for the FX 86 and 116 WITHOUT the "HP" moniker. Meanwhile the same photo shows "HP" for the 96 and the 106. This lines up nicely with what at least one other poster here has indicated - different construction for the bookend widths. However, now Ron is talking about having skied an FX 86 HP. Can someone clarify authoritatively?

IMG_8239.jpg

19. Ron

Ron AKA Captain Voltaren Pugski Ski Tester

@Tony S when I demoed, the rep told me this was the HP. He explained it no longer had metal but was fiberglass wrapped (not just an overlay of the top) over wood.

20. neonorchid

neonorchid Out on the slopes Skier

Sounds like a lot of misinformation.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Tony S likes this.