• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
2020 FX 96 ... Inquiring minds want to know. Anyone at SIA ski it? @Ron , @SBrown , @FairToMiddlin ? PM me if it's a secret. ogwink

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
2020 FX 96 ... Inquiring minds want to know. Anyone at SIA ski it? @Ron , @SBrown , @FairToMiddlin ? PM me if it's a secret. ogwink

The FX96 HP was exquisite. Light but damp with excellent snow feel. The new tip is a yuge improvement making turn initiation a snap. The ski seemingly knew where I wanted to go. The tail is secure and predictable.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The FX96 HP was exquisite. Light but damp with excellent snow feel. The new tip is a yuge improvement making turn initiation a snap. The ski seemingly knew where I wanted to go. The tail is secure and predictable.

Cool. Thanks. Did you get on the non-HP?

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool. Thanks. Did you get in the non-HP?

No, not available. I don’t think it exists. This new model doesn’t have metal like the old HP. Carbon is the giggitty-giggitty in this ride. I found the flex even. I thought I’d miss the metal because I’m a fat bastard (something you’re not), but I didn’t.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Couldn't disagree more....if you loved the outgoing fx95hp, I'd bet you will not like this ski.
Now I am really looking forward to skiing it ;) I was not a fan at all of the outgoing model. Like i said, I am looking forward to getting on this. My initial impression is that this ski is the best of the first and seconfd generation FX.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Cool. Thanks. Did you get on the non-HP?

Tony, there is no non-hp. They must have went with one (very non-hp) construction, and decided the “hp” suffix sounds cooler, even if it obliterates any continuity. Whatever.

Good news is, Kevin is right; it’s exquisite.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Guys, can you be more specific? Seems like the new ski is a bit polarizing. I don't doubt that you can make a non-metal ski that is damp to some extent (I own the living proof of that idea: the Head Kore). I am a fan/owner of the current model, primarily for the damp ride that you get from metal and Kastle's partial rubber layer. I somewhat doubt you can recreate that feel with just carbon, but the proof is in the pudding. I actually like the reliability of the old tip, it is not the fastest to hook up on a groomer, but it is 100% predictable of piste and never gets bogged down in chunky snow. Curious what Kastle did to change its feel. @Philpug I never understood why you liked the FX105HP, but not the Fx95HP, even though they have a rather similar shape and build. Different categories?

Does anyone have a good picture of the new ski where you can actually see the shape?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug I never understood why you liked the FX105HP, but not the Fx95HP, even though they have a rather similar shape and build. Different categories?
I wouldn't say so much that it was a different category but maybe a different feel. I have found that just because one construction works well in one area that it should in an other or in some cases it works better. i found that the BMX105 was a better application of it's desing and construction for the application than the 95..or even the 85. Some times scaling works and sometimes it doesn't.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I wouldn't say so much that it was a different category but maybe a different feel. I have found that just because one construction works well in one area that it should in an other or in some cases it works better. i found that the BMX105 was a better application of it's desing and construction for the application than the 95..or even the 85. Some times scaling works and sometimes it doesn't.

Yes sport, I was of course referring to the BMX105.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I got on the FX86 HP (the 96 was always out), I applaud Kastle for greatly improving the on-piste performance of the ski. The tip engaged very well and in the 177(?) I could easily roll the ski edge-to-edge and it was quite strong underfoot. Very stable at speed. Where it fell short for me was off piste. On the second day, we got about 3" and I took it on a run that had been mostly tracked so there was a mix of untracked patches, scraped off sections and push piles. On slower speed, shorter radius turns, the tip/shovel felt vague and nervous. IMHO, its overly stiff for me and just didnt have a good feel on the snow. I prefer a ski with softer tips (at the end) and a progressive flex/stiffness. I felt I really needed to drive the tips to get them to bend and hold well. Maybe heavier skiers might prefer the ski? In the past, I enjoyed the Non-Hp's which worked better for me,

EDIT: added thought. I am wondering if the FX's being only in HP means that Kastle's new DX (formally LX) line is intended for those skiers?

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very interesting to see the initial mixed reaction to the new FX. I'm not a fan of the outgoing version so if this new ski isn't like the 95HP then it's already a point in its favor.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMHO a good amount of the polarization with the new skis comes back to the inconsistency of the initial tunes. I will hold judgment until we can take that variable out.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I got on the FX86 HP

I thought I finally understood the HP/Non-HP designations for the 2019-20 model year but now I'm back to being really confused. A photo (below) clearly shows placards for the FX 86 and 116 WITHOUT the "HP" moniker. Meanwhile the same photo shows "HP" for the 96 and the 106. This lines up nicely with what at least one other poster here has indicated - different construction for the bookend widths. However, now Ron is talking about having skied an FX 86 HP. Can someone clarify authoritatively?

IMG_8239.jpg

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@Tony S when I demoed, the rep told me this was the HP. He explained it no longer had metal but was fiberglass wrapped (not just an overlay of the top) over wood.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
The middle of the three wood cores is wrapped in a fiberglass sleeve, and for HP models in a carbon- fiberglass sleeve. This sleeve also binds the center wood core to the lightweight exterior cores, creating a supremely damp, yet responsive, ski.
-
FX line incorporates both TRI TECH and HOLLOWTECH 3.0 (FX86, FX96 HP, FX106 HP and FX116). Completely redesigned with wider widths and updated rocker and camber profiles, the new FX line marks a continuation of Kästle’s excellence in all- mountain and freeride terrain.
-
  • New FX96 W: Lighter than men’s version with a wood core wrapped with fiberglass plus new, larger hollowtech tips for improved dampening.
  • New FX86 and FX116: “Non HP” with bigger hollowtech than previous versions (better dampening) and fiberglass plus wood in the cores. Lighter swingweights.
  • New FX96 and FX106: “HP” versions, but still without metal. HP indicates a carbon-sandwiched core. These also feature bigger hollowtech tips.
@Tony S when I demoed, the rep told me this was the HP. He explained it no longer had metal but was fiberglass wrapped (not just an overlay of the top) over wood.
Sounds like a lot of misinformation.

Last edited:

Sponsor