• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
GT Has a nice consistent pitch but not much in the way of true steeps. Fun place to spend a day though. If you stay in town it is easy to rent a car and return it the same day. We stayed at the 49er and there is a rental agency right across the street.

I second PP's rec of Bubba's BBQ. Maybe the best St Louis ribs ever!

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I could have this wrong but for an expert a day to Grand Targhee would be a waste - Jackson would be more suitable. I did have a day over the hill when I was at Jackson and I loved Targhee - but I'm by no means an expert.
I didn't see much steep terrain.

Well, I don't consider myself an expert. I love steeps but that's not all I like to ski by a long shot. I'm thinking 2 days at JH, 1 day at GT, 1 off-day and 2 days at JH to end the trip might be nice.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Well, I don't consider myself an expert. I love steeps but that's not all I like to ski by a long shot. I'm thinking 2 days at JH, 1 day at GT, 1 off-day and 2 days at JH to end the trip might be nice.

Seems like a good plan to me. GT is def worth a visit as snow is great, trees are great, and the vibe is great.Frankly, it's nice to have a day to not worry about whether you're going to cliff yourself out after a few days of skiing Jackson.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I could have this wrong but for an expert a day to Grand Targhee would be a waste - Jackson would be more suitable. I did have a day over the hill when I was at Jackson and I loved Targhee - but I'm by no means an expert.

Targhee is a great one day outing, expert or not. So much more laid back than JH. Nowhere close to the steeps, but about 10% as crowded.

Winner. Be flexible on your Targhee day. I usually go on a pow day, to avoid that sinking feeling when you show up at Teton Village at 8:30, and the tram and gondy lines are already biblical in stature.

For example, last year, on the last Tuesday in January, JH had 13" mid-mountain, and Targhee had 16". We went to Targhee and skied their best pow day of the year (per a couple patrollers we rode the lift with) although we did have to stand in lines of up to three minutes until about 11:30 after which, we skied onto the lift. A very enjoyable day, to say the least!

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I'd note that he got to ski that 15k of powder on the day he wasn't skiing powder next to you on a lift...

I'll take 15k of untouched powder skiing, than a few k of untouched and 20k of tracked out.
If you get the right day, catskiing at Targhee may be worth the extra cost. But picking the right day from far in advance, you also have to be lucky. You would want a day when lift-served gets skied out and cat skiing does not and has not been which may not be that often.

The guy catskiing probably over-estimated his vertical as 15K is hard to get on a day trip due to time lost with avy training. I estimated my powder vertical skiing the same day at 20-25K of my 32.5K vertical that day. If you look at the pictures posted in my trip report at FirstTracks and re-posted below, there aren't any lift-served with more than one person in the picture. Two of the first three posted below are of @DanoT early in the day - my camera's time was not set correctly, but they are taken 55 minutes apart. The first one is a random skiing taken from an early lift. 0444RandomSkier.JPG 0454DanoT.JPG 0459DanoT.JPG
The next picture is catskiers at Targhee on the same day. They are the only ones skiing next to each other. You also can see tracks from previous (or earlier in) day(s) and that new snow does not look as deep as the lift-served. 0465TargheeCatSkiing.JPG

The next two pictures of me were taken later in the day by @Matchstix somewhere in the Good, Bad and Ugly, which is some of Targhee's steeper terrain. While the powder is cutup, it is still highly quality than is easily found in CA. TonySkiingattarghee-17.jpg TonySkiingattarghee-23.jpg

And while I am very cost adverse, I've gone on 3-day cat skiing trip to remote lodge in Canada three of the last four seasons and am signed up for Feb 2019. Even there after about 100 cm/40" snow before we got there, some of higher elevation snow looked good, but was very difficult to ski as it had a wind crust.

The next two pictures were taken of me by @TonyC in Feb 2018. Not only is the snow deep and dry in this area, there were quite a few runs like this where I had to work to keep breathing so I would not run out of wind before running out of untracked.
4032aMustangTonyS.JPG 4033aMustangTonyS.JPG

@sbooker and I skied together at Mammoth in January and I think that if he and his two children are not yet experts, they soon will be as they were skiing deep powder that got chopped-up fast from chair 23 which quickly develops expert skills (and requires them to avoid working too hard). Assuming decent visibility, I'd probably take a day of lower-angle powder that lasts most of the day at Targhee vs. having to make choice between 3-4-5 tram waits at Jackson or skiing après Vous to avoid crowds. Note I have not been back to JHMR since Crags chair went in which may have helped spread out the ever increasing crowds.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Targhee is definitely worth a trip, it is a lot less crowded, and a totally different vibe. While there aren't any super extreme runs, the conditions are usually better than JH. And if, after a couple of days of hard skiing at JH getting your ass handed to you , a days respite at GT does wonders to stroke the old ego and get your mojo back. My experience anyway

Last edited:

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
I totally agree that GT is a great place and the lift lines were nil when we were there. That was around New Year - definitely holiday season. And the comments about the chilled vibe is spot on.
Interestingly Jackson at about the same time was nowhere near as bad as I expected - but we weren't there on a powder day. The wait for the tram was about 15 minutes which is much less than I've waited at Snowbird for example. We only got two runs down Rendezvous Bowl but in fresh snow that must be magnificent.
My only comment about driving over the hill to Targhee on a powder day would mean driving over Teton Pass in show. Those of us that live in a sub tropical climate don't seek out that kind of experience lightly.
@Tony - Posting pics like that is just showing off.ogsmile Skiing for a whole day in that kind of know is just a dream for most of us.
Thanks for the very generous comments but I believe none of it. ogsmile
Regardless our skiing is sure to regress as we're planning on getting a few days on Aussie man made and ice in August and a few weeks of skiing 'on piste' in Europe this (northern hemisphere) winter. We plan on heading to either Canada or the states the following winter - so perhaps we'll get a chance to ski powder then. So many places to ski...............so little time off from work.:(

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks again for the comments. It's ridiculously early but I've booked a room at the 49ers Inn and got my flights reserved for the first week of February. I love frequent flier miles! I'm going to do 2 days JH, 1 GT and finish with 2 days back at JH.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll try this thread first...has anyone ever done the Steep and Deep camp at JH? Through dumb luck there's one from 2/5-2/8. I could move my flights to make this camp if it's something that I should consider. I imagine it'd be an awesome way to see all of JH but I don't know if I'd be physically up to the challenge.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll try this thread first...has anyone ever done the Steep and Deep camp at JH? Through dumb luck there's one from 2/5-2/8. I could move my flights to make this camp if it's something that I should consider. I imagine it'd be an awesome way to see all of JH but I don't know if I'd be physically up to the challege.
Do it! There were many inbounds places with wide open untracked snow that I really wanted hit but didn't because I had no idea what I'd be getting myself into, where I'd end up. Especially so the time of year when I was just there with the upper mountain being good to very good and a mixed bag to crap mid to lower mountain conditions.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Targhee is wonderful. Ignore any naysayers.

But really, if you're gonna get oriented to these places efficiently and have the best possible experience into the bargain, just get onto the Gathering train. You're gonna do it eventually; why not start now?

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

But really, if you're gonna get oriented to these places efficiently and have the best possible experience into the bargain, just get onto the Gathering train. You're gonna do it eventually; why not start now?

I was supposed to go to this year's Gathering but had to cancel, which I'm still pissed about. Anyway, I have my heart set on Jackson for next year but I'll eventually make it to a Gathering. Is the Big Sky Gathering time frame under discussion yet?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Off the top of my head, @mdf
Yep. I won't repeat what was in the other thread. A few extra notes... I have been to 3 S&D camps. The first was 12 years ago, and was when I realized that I had no idea what I was doing on skis. (That was after 30 years as a heel-pusher.) I had started to learn to ski for the other two, although I ski better now than for either of them. (Part of that is getting in shape after knee surgery rehab. Part is practice and experience.)
S&D is a great institution, but it is far from perfect. I'll expand on the pros and cons sometime when I'm feeling talkative, if you like. On balance, I might go back for one more.

Steep and Deep was why I found epicski and through it pugski -- googling for info found @Bob Peters 's guide.

My skiing improved a lot more skiing at Gatherings and during follow-on trips with people I met at them than it ever did at Steep and Deep. [The first one was a trigger, but it took a lot of work after I got home to bring it to fruition.] Chasing good skiers around all day does wonders, combined with some obsessive technique talk in the bar or over the tuning bench.

[And yes, Targhee has been well worth it every time I've been there.]

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
I'll try this thread first...has anyone ever done the Steep and Deep camp at JH? Through dumb luck there's one from 2/5-2/8. I could move my flights to make this camp if it's something that I should consider. I imagine it'd be an awesome way to see all of JH but I don't know if I'd be physically up to the challege.

I have done it and highly recommend it. They do an excellent job of mixing instruction, pushing your boundaries, and exploring the mountain. I wouldn't worry about not being physically up for it. At the one I went to, there was a huge range of abilities and fitness levels present. They actually split my group up based on a combination of age, willingness to hike, and self-reported fitness level.

I agree that it is not perfect, and I suspect one's experience is highly dependent on their instructor, but everyone I talked to was happy they did it.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm thinking about S+D but I'm guessing that I'll wait until the next trip to JH. I read a number of things while Googling and I suspect that I need to be in better shape than I am at the moment. For this trip I could get a private lesson for half a day and still pay less than the camp fee so that's an option.

Sponsor

Staff online