• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
"not much more expensive"

$300/night vs $134 in the first week of February next season strikes me as invalidating that first word :duck:

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
In previous seasons JH has offered a 50% discount on daily tickets to skiers are also season pass holders at another resort. It's not a bad deal considering that most of the JH ticket discounts are tied into lodging packages.I believe this deal only runs through January, so that may or may not alter your plans if the discount is of value to you.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to everyone for all the information. I think staying in town makes a lot of sense and you can't beat the cost. I'll check out the Elk Country Inn along with the Cowboy. As I said up-thread, Corbet's is a dream of mine but I'm not going to let it drive the timing entirely. I'd rather go when it's more likely the whole mountain has good snow than go too late and end up with the non-newtonian stuff. The first or second week of February sound right to me.

Last edited:

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have very little experience skiing at Jackson but my impression from skiing there just after new year is that the mountain has a lot more to interest intermediates (not that the OP is needing that) than most reports make out. Even at that time of year when temps were pretty low I could feel how the sun would make things interesting as the season progresses. The left side of the mountain (skiers right) has some nice steep terrain that is a little less exposed to the sun.
As far as Corbets is concerned it was closed when we were there but we carefully ducked the rope to look over the edge. It was very much low tide and the entry was long and vertical. Hat's off to those that drop in when it looks like that. My ten and twelve year old got the obligatory photos with the Corbets sign.
We stayed at the 49er in town. It was lovely and very affordable. Hit the Big Hole BBQ for dinner if you get a chance - nothing fancy but a decent feed for a fair price and the beer is cold too.

Reactions: TPJ

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
When I was a teenager back in the 80’s there was an article in Ski about “the elevator shaft of skiing” and I said to myself if I ever make it out to Jackson I’ve got to ski Corbet’s. It’s more about dream fulfillment than bragging. I’ll probably tumble my way down anyway
I've never had the guts to ski Corbet's as the entrance has never been in decent shape when I was there. The big deal with Corbet's is the entrance -- once in, it's just another 50 degree chute.

There are other options if the entrance is not good. Alta 1 and Zero inbounds, the crags, and (out of bounds) Spacewalk or Once is Enough. Lots to keep you busy.

IMHO, Jackson is a resort that benefits from skiing with an instructor/guide. They'll take you to the goods and know the way to get around the mountain. It's not likely you''ll figure it out on your own, particularly if you are looking to ski steep expert terrain with good snow.

Mike

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"not much more expensive"

$300/night vs $134 in the first week of February next season strikes me as invalidating that first word :duck:

Those prices are not my experience, in January, when I noted that I always visit.

In previous seasons JH has offered a 50% discount on daily tickets to skiers are also season pass holders at another resort.

This typically runs through January. Not sure how long it went last year, since I'm gone by Feb 1, but it is a smoking deal, with the minor caveat that you have to buy a ticket every morning. No multi-day 50% off for passholders of other areas.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Well, for the week of January 18-25 I'm seeing $357.57 for a standard double queen at the Inn vs $134 for a private king at the Hostel.
I'm not saying you can't get it cheaper. Rode lifts with a couple of guys who'd gotten a twin room at the Inn with lift passes at a price I don't remember but do recall that it was less than I was paying for a private at the Hostel + lifts, but that was in 2006 and they'd booked two days before arrival (canceling a town motel reserv).
There are always deals, but if you're booking something well in advance you're not going to get anywhere close to Hostel rates at the Inn.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The best time to visit IMHO, is on the way to the big sky gathering !
Just a hop,skip and a jump or if you prefer a few hour drive.

I'm not sure if I want to drive 3+ hours to Big Sky but you got me thinking. Is Grand Targhee worth renting a car and driving up to for a day or two? I'm thinking of flying in on a Wednesday, skiing from Thursday to Tuesday and flying back the following Wednesday.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
In previous seasons JH has offered a 50% discount on daily tickets to skiers are also season pass holders at another resort. It's not a bad deal considering that most of the JH ticket discounts are tied into lodging packages.I believe this deal only runs through January, so that may or may not alter your plans if the discount is of value to you.

Do you know if this is still likely to be the case? Might put a different perspective on Ikon if they honour that for additional days.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two other questions.

1. If I did drive up to Grand Targhee does anyone have any experience with their Snowcat skiing? I've never done that and from a quick read it seems like it might be a good intro.

2. Do you think I'll be happy with my FX94's at JH/GT or should I maybe look at a pair of skis in the 105 range?

Tony

tseeb
Skier
The amount of terrain for snowcat skiing at Targhee is not very big or varied so not sure that it is worth it. During the last Gathering I rode lift with a guy who was bragging about getting 15K of powder snowcat skiing at Targhee. On the same day, we skied quite a bit more powder using lifts. For report see http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11743

You don't necessarily need a car to ski Targhee. There is a bus that goes to Targhee for the day although it may not run every day. It picks up at multiple places including Teton Village and includes a lift ticket. I tried to use it my only time staying at The Hostel, but Teton Pass closed due to slides. They were going to take us on an alternate route down the Snake River Canyon, but that also closed due to slides. That report is part of a very long post (search for Sunday if you don't want to read it all) at http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11743&p=73729

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I did the Targhee catski back in 2006 with two pals and we all thoroughly enjoyed it, but would probably agree with Tony that you're likely to do as well just buying a lift ticket. FWIW we also used the bus package deal from JH that day and it went well, though we missed the first cat run as bus arrived a few mins behind sched.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks again for the replies. I think I'm going to go to GT for at least a day. I'll take a look at the bus option as well. Might be easier than renting a car for a couple days.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
The amount of terrain for snowcat skiing at Targhee is not very big or varied so not sure that it is worth it. During the last Gathering I rode lift with a guy who was bragging about getting 15K of powder snowcat skiing at Targhee. On the same day, we skied quite a bit more powder using lifts. For report see http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11743

I'd note that he got to ski that 15k of powder on the day he wasn't skiing powder next to you on a lift...

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I'll take 15k of untouched powder skiing, than a few k of untouched and 20k of tracked out.

Targhee is definitely worth the trip for a day. Totally different vibe. If you drive, make sure to stop for baked goods in the morning at Pendle's bakery.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm not sure if I want to drive 3+ hours to Big Sky but you got me thinking. Is Grand Targhee worth renting a car and driving up to for a day or two? I'm thinking of flying in on a Wednesday, skiing from Thursday to Tuesday and flying back the following Wednesday.

I could have this wrong but for an expert a day to Grand Targhee would be a waste - Jackson would be more suitable. I did have a day over the hill when I was at Jackson and I loved Targhee - but I'm by no means an expert.
I didn't see much steep terrain.