• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
I can think of a lot of better ways for RMR to spend their money than on RFID...like a better lift system that spreads skiers out and more terrain that does the the same.
They only bought two sets of gates for the gondola. Also already announced a new lift for next year so things are starting to move.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Niseko uses RFID cards; you pay a JPY 1,000 deposit (USD 9) for the card, refundable via machine at end of day (don't forget!).
FYI, a one-day all-areas pass gets you free rides on the shuttle bus system.
Not sure how it will work for Ikon, but for MCP you received an all-areas pass for use on two consecutive days.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not having RFID is amazing in this day and age, I have loved it when available.

The fact that Alterra has not gone 100% RFID is very surprising..... The downside to RFID is the stupid turnstiles on each lift which I do in fact dislike.

As a season pass holder, it would be nice if jackets were made these days with a clear window like luggage has for business cards to slide in as an ID in case of lost baggage when traveling.

RFID.... I have a love hate

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not having RFID is amazing in this day and age, I have loved it when available.

The fact that Alterra has not gone 100% RFID is very surprising..... The downside to RFID is the stupid turnstiles on each lift which I do in fact dislike.

As a season pass holder, it would be nice if jackets were made these days with a clear window like luggage has for business cards to slide in as an ID in case of lost baggage when traveling.

RFID.... I have a love hate

Some ski jackets do have clear window pass pockets but it is not a must have or deal breaker for most people.

I use a pass holder that snaps onto my goggle strap.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
it would be nice if jackets were made these days with a clear window like luggage has for business cards

Your jacket has no pockets? :huh:

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Amazon Go is just the beginning ... The future lays in 'computer vision, sensor fusion and deep learning".

99% of skiers do have phones with them ... or some kind of RECCO device that could easily be detected near the lift by strategically positioned sensors.

Or why not implanted "micro chips" ?

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
it would be nice if jackets were made these days with a clear window like luggage has for business cards

Your jacket has no pockets? :huh:

Sure, my jackets have lots of pockets. Deer Valley is not an RFID resort at this time, so the lifties need to see visual confirmation of the ticket/pass. It is a mountain with several access points, so it is not a situation that once you are on the mountain passes don’t need to be checked. After a while the lifties get to know you, but it is still an issue that could easily be resolved with a clear pocket to display your pass/ticket. I do dislike the turnstiles at typical RFID destinations.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Neat!! I think I still have a arm band from years ago skiing France. I've also seen jackets with a plastic hanger that has the pass in it hanging just below a jacket. Many of the kids at Tremblant wear the arm band around their leg.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

^^^ This is what I use.

I bought mine at Copper a few years ago ($11 I think), when I lost a past that was attached to my ski pants.

They also sell the pass holder at Whistler which has RFID scanners. So I asked, why sell pass holders when a pass can be put in a chest pocket and does not need to be visible? The answer: they enable little kids to attach their pass to their goggle strap because the kids are to short to be scanned when the pass is in a chest pocket. In my experience, if an item is offered for sale by the ski industry in North America, then you can find it at Whistler.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have an older Burton coat that has this awesome, hidden pass pocket near the bottom of the zipper. It's got a pass holder that is on elastics so you can pull it out, but goes back into the pocket when you release. I'd like to see that on more coats.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Really terrific site. Thanks for all the great info you provide (and photos).
I also enjoy the site. Welcome.

I wish all jackets had dedicated clear, pass pockets - on the sleeve would be ideal. I use a lanyard locally (no RFID) and would love that kind of pocket. The liftie wouldn't work for me. If it's a sunny day (most ski days in CA) then I prefer RX sunglasses.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I asked earlier but did not read all the threads, but my 21 year old went to Mammoth today and in true Mammoth fashion, just bring your ID and they will take your picture and print your Ikon pass.
Easy.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just received an email from Ikon/Winter Park. I'm not sure who the email went out to so I thought I would share Winter Park is having a 72 hour flash sale for $49 single day tickets. Considering the prices have gone up at WP this is probably a pretty good deal.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got the same email. And I checked quickly for the month of March- that price seems to be good for the entire season. Great deal if you can commit to specific dates.

Sponsor

Staff online