• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
So 15 years ago wife & I were standing next to a questionable restaurant (Ridgway- next to T-ride) with the Greyhound bus station on right. We're thinking "is it safe to eat here" Flashy dude comes out, hops into a red convertable but first he reads our mind perfectly and says "best food in town" It was Ralph Lauren !!

Ha - for those who don't know, he owns a ranch that's off the road from Montrose to T-ride.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
hmm, @Goose, Plunge is one of the groomers of day today. Worth swinging by to check out the tree skiing conditions at Log Pile.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Ha - for those who don't know, he owns a ranch that's off the road from Montrose to T-ride.

the Double RL Ranch. Amazing property with stunning views. You can drive up CO Rd 7 and CO Rd 9 right off Highway 62 that intersect the property to give access to public land. @Goose it is a MUST do if in the area.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
the Double RL Ranch. Amazing property with stunning views. You can drive up CO Rd 7 and CO Rd 9 right off Highway 62 that intersect the property to give access to public land. @Goose it is a MUST do if in the area.

Yeah it's at the Dallas Divide ... one of the prettiest places in the world, IMO.

Reactions: nay

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As per above pic, I think everyone calls it the 4 bar ranch.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
hmm, @Goose, Plunge is one of the groomers of day today. Worth swinging by to check out the tree skiing conditions at Log Pile.
yes we skied plunge today later in the day and it was good enough. A bit sloppy and thin areas but fun.

To all posters in general A nice bluebird day of course. Our last day here and packing tonight for a 6am pick up then on to Montrose.

Hey, what can i say the place is absolutely a gem as for scenery especially on sunny day. It just doesn't get old. I think you can be here for 20 years and still the scenery never gets old..lol

My review of todays conditions. Honestly I though last sunday was the best conditions of all the days here. Today we skied a lot (my son and I) Hit rev bowl and honestly was very east coastish icy. Was beautiful to make a couple runs but the skiing not so much fun on that side.
Spent a lot of time in and out of prospect bowl cause ...well...its just so darn pretty to ski that from both sides. But allot of thin areas and closed secitons here and there, etc... then also got sloppy as the day moved along. Then back over to the town side again via lookout , coon and the plunge etc to finish the day.

Over all this whole trip skiing conditions wise I ended up with what I would describe as a good days snow conditions back in the poconos. So experiencing western snow was just not to happen. Only in that regard is there just a little disappointment. That would have been yet another great thing to add to our list of great experiences here :). But that said...and while locals or people who frequent western resorts would find it poor it was truly heaven for us in many many ways :) including the skiing. Its been a wondeful experience for us that last in our minds for many years.

Id like to post more pics once home and possibly a vid or two just for sake of the thread as those there now and coming soon still having interest in discussion here. Also others enjoying the continued posts I believe. And id still like to hear what others still want to post about as for being here/coming here.

BTW and fwiw not tree skiing for us and skiing mostly in the poconos also not hitting blck moguls here. Double blues at most and blacks groomed or ungroomed ok but dedicated moguls ...not. Just not there in my arsenal...at least not these days anymore..lol
So a lot of blues, double blues and blacks is what my son and I did today and we skied a whole lot today. We are tired right now for sure.

Last edited:
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Very nice. I also noticed that they are outfitting folks for fly fishing. @Goose, what your wife said about Canada, you and your family might like Banff. Like Telluride, it's not just about skiing. It's the great outdoors. And, it is 0.77 USD to a CND
Id strongly recommend that snowmobile tour if you've never done that. It is just filled with beauty especially for someone who spent most his life in and near the nyc area. The driving the mobiles in itself wasn't the best thing I ever did (though the fam found that great) but doing that where we did it was just so overwhelming beautiful places. A must do. Expensive but worth it. But try a sunny day if possible. Abnd as said a bit bare at first but then once up high enough its good. And the scenery outshines everything especially if a bluebird day. plus it was warm and very comfortable that afternoon.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
27972689_10213097928714302_3577787562051202647_n.jpg

27867613_10213097928234290_3646657871447272884_n.jpg

The Black bean saute w/fried egg..*Veggie Delight" was very good for me and typical 'on mt prices"

We had Pizza $5.00 for a HUGE Slice over on the Mt Village side by Lift 4 was good too!
We ate there today. My son and I. Each had a pulled pork sandwhich with one beer for him and one Gatorade for me. $38 bucks. Expensive but perhaps not so much more than any resort lunch on slope. But also I speak mostly for dinner as that is expensive in general.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Glad you enjoyed your trip! The drive back to Montrose is as beautiful as going to Telluride keep the camera ready. And, there's More Snow coming Next week to the East coast, our 4th Nor easter in 2 weeks! Here's to some powder days back here.
Have a safe flight/travel home.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Glad you enjoyed your trip! The drive back to Montrose is as beautiful as going to Telluride keep the camera ready. And, there's More Snow coming Next week to the East coast, our 4th Nor easter in 2 weeks! Here's to some powder days back here.
Have a safe flight/travel home.

WHATTTT???????

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
WHATTTT???????

Yep....because of all these storms/power outages we are up to 15 snow days used this year. They have taken all Easter vacation away, and are scheduled to be in school till June 29th.

This is as of now......4th NorEaster is predicted for early next week. Yikes....School in July? maybe.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The driving the mobiles in itself wasn't the best thing I ever did (though the fam found that great) but doing that where we did it was just so overwhelming beautiful

Yes, it's beautiful. My daughter, who now can drive, would love to have a chance at the (wheel?).

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
a big part of the fun and adventure of going to a place like Telluride is sampling the local restaurants, live music scene, local brews, etc. I have friends who ski super hard, cook and eat a big dinner and lay around the condo. That's OK too, but IMO not as much fun.

A SMALL part of the fun and adventure of a ski trip is (insert anything non-skiing here like eating, drinking, music, etc....) .

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
a big part of the fun and adventure of going to a place like Telluride is sampling the local restaurants, live music scene, local brews, etc. I have friends who ski super hard, cook and eat a big dinner and lay around the condo. That's OK too, but IMO not as much fun.

A SMALL part of the fun and adventure of a ski trip is (insert anything non-skiing here like eating, drinking, music, etc....) .
Imo coming from the east especially for the first time this was so much more than just the skiing itself. For me/us this was a family vacation to experience a rockies ski destination. Of course skiing was a huge part. But its also very much about where we are skiing and not just the skiing itself if that makes sense. In other words the views, the environment, the big resort acreage, nature, then also the town/s, etc,etc.... That snowmobile through the nature of the rockies tour was every bit as great to experience as the skiing. The Wilson range (coors light cans logo) in the back drop is awesome. Than being near there snowbiling and looking back at T-ride just as awesome. The food, walking the town,etc...al part of this trip for us.

That said and to comment on town vs mt village.. Honestly I'm glad I stayed in town. MV is really nice and all and certainly the homes further up the resort are unbelievable. But imo town is just nicer to experience and stay. MV is more the touristy made to order gimmicky village you can find just about anywhere you might go. But man that place id dead early. I mean the town too is also pretty dead early but not nearly as quick as MV. i mean you can head up to MV at 9pm and its like a ghost town. Its like where is everyone? The town however goes on a bit longer

Of course most are skiing and so I think in general for most its early to bed early to rise. And if with little ones that's even more understandable. I could stay at either I think and still enjoy just as well. But Id give the edge to town. If my kids were actually little kids id probably choose MV. And not that we were looking to stay out very late and not big drinkers. In general I want in relatively early enough to then get up early enough too. But just that its nice to walk around say at 9 to 10 pm. But MV is just dead. I mean even a Starbucks is closed. All that fanciness and modern buildings and beautifully done common areas and yet its dead. We were up there tonight at about 7pm with very nice weather and outside a few restraints doing business the MV core just dead and that's just very strange to me at that time. And town not exactly great either but much better than that. I'm use to going places where shops and all kinds of things still open at that time.

Buy no means am i killing either place here. I think its really a great place over all. Id come back here over and over in a heart beat. And id really have no issue staying in either one. They are both nice in their own ways. But town to me would be my preference. More choices to eat imo in general with more places of reasonable prices. Of course town also has very expensive places too. Quite number of them. But finding more down to earth places is more available imo. The great thing of course is the gondola which just really does bring it all together anyway in just minutes. So your never at all tied to one vs the other. Both can be easily be enjoyed the same regardless which place you actually stay.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While Goose is out skiing, here's a little video I made that same day at nearby Copper to show the horrors of low-tide I-70 front range skiing on a busy March Saturday:

It was all true. I was also at Copper on 3/10 in roughly the same zones as @tball's vid. Spaulding Bowl was amazing, fresh lines even into the afternoon. Kind of shocking for a quality Saturday.

Overall, a bit of fresh snow, excellent visibility (from the perspective of a PNW skier, amazing visibility) and zero to marginal lift lines. Copper is a cool mountain and probably the best value around in resort'ish skiing. Great terrain, great snow surface (even at low tide), excellent viz (when the divide is socked in), efficient lifts, marginal lines and nice natural design (provided you are on skis and not on a snowboard - a boarder might notice and be annoyed by traversing and darting from area to area in ways that a skier wouldn't). I'm a fan. Sorry, @tball, if I am disclosing your secret. ogwink

It goes to the point that many made earlier in this thread that once the base is somewhat set, even if it is thin, the real things that matter in terms of skiability are quality of the daily snow surface and visibility. As long as you don't mind dinging your skis up a bit, are a bit adventurous and somewhat mindful of obstacles, low tide during mid-late season at high altitude resorts isn't anything to be afraid of and certainly nothing to avoid.

WC68

Booting up
Skier
I hope Goose left early this morning....because leaving in these conditions is always tough.
I remember a week in Steamboat in January with spring like conditions without spring like coverage and it dumped on our way out of town,

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s time mods. T-ride needs a fresh start.

/thread
Totally disagree.

There are 3.5 weeks left in T-ride's season. Plenty of time for dumping redemption. Or, melt off disaster.

Lots of drama to still play out at T-ride this year!

Sponsor