• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Maybe not a total bust. Today, chairs 12-15 never opened on account of wind. Read, Prospect Bowl and Revelation Bowl. Gusts up to 60 mph, from the southwest and west. That means there could be a lot of untracked wind transported snow on northeast faces tomorrow, the faces that are less sun affected and already have a greater base (ahem, have a base). I'm thinking Little Rose off Gold Hill Chair, and Black Iron Bowl off Prospect Chair, and Prospect Bowl in general.
I'm thinking you should hire a private lesson with an examiner and work on your wedge christie...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I like how this has turned into the Telluride conditions thread instead of having a typical Telluride thread....

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
It's goodbye to Telluride. My wife said "until next year". Pretty good, as she said "never again" when she arrived with a headache. I guess it's like child birth.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
One leaves...another arrives. Got into town today.
Wife commented on lack of snow...I said told you so. Hah. Pretty warm obviously.
Forecast looks slim as far as chances of snow. Oh well will hope for another March miracle.
Good luck and have a great time. Its just too nice a place not to. Hopefully what you do ski on will be good. Fwiw the night temps are cold enough and not exactly real warm this week around 40ish so skiing what is open might be nice enough. It is what it is,..... may as ell have bluebird days unless you get a good dump. Hope you have a great time. Check out smugglers brewery (pub) for some good eats.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Check out smugglers brewery (pub) for some good eats

That was our favorite place. We even chose it for our last night in Telluride. Unlucky for us, the restaurant was closed for a private party, a wedding. We were even discussing what we would order as we walked there. Lucky night for the bride and groom though.

FYI, appetizers, including the sausages, are very large portions. One order is large enough to be split into tapas-size style bites for a party of 6, maybe 8. A party of four could reasonably order several appetizers and make that a dinner.

WC68

Booting up
Skier
We went to smugglers for a “snack” on Saturday. They closed at 4:30 for a private event. We’ve ended up eating at BrownDog for two nights in a row. That Detroit pizza is amazing. We’ve got reservations for some of the nicer restaurants tues-Thursday so we didn’t feel guilty about eating there twice.

Oh, as far as skiing. I didn’t even venture out until 11 yesterday. Didn’t see a need to. Had some fun groomer skiing. Forecast now gives a small hint of optimism for some snow. Hope it overperforms.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Detroit Pizza - Looks like someone screwed up a Sicilian and decided to call it something else instead.
Probably the same way Chicago came up with that tomato soup in a bread bowl thing.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Detroit Pizza - Looks like someone screwed up a Sicilian and decided to call it something else instead.
Probably the same way Chicago came up with that tomato soup in a bread bowl thing.

Yeah it's essentially a Sicilian with an overwhelming cheese to sauce ratio and the crust caramelized.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I think Brown Dog is a good case study for successful product positioning and marketing. As for our personal experience, first year, we couldn't get in, not with a reasonable wait. Second year, we dined there after making a point to get there early on a day off from skiing. This third year, over an 11 day period, we didn't have the opportunity to return. :)

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm from Michigan and I've never heard of Detroit Pizza.
@PisteOff You have any ideas?
Having grown up in SE MI the only Detroit pizza I know comes from Little Caesars and Dominos. Maybe they just get carry out from the local chain and reheat :rolleyes: Or bad Chicago deep dish ...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
What is this thread about now?

:huh::huh::huh:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pizza!

I really like Sicilian. Not a huge fan of super thin crust which is huge around here there days.

BTW, we stopped at High Pie for pre show dinner last Monday and it was really good...just regular pizza not Detroit, not Chicago.

Last week was our second week in Telluride...were first there in 2015. We are planning to go back for the Blues and Brews Festival mid-September. Really glad I reconnected with my old friend, even if he didn't have a fractional ownership in Telluride.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The best pizza I had was in a class taught by a woman from Naples, or “Napoli” as she put it. She was pretty dismissive of most of the Americanized versions of pizza. To much of the wrong kind of cheeses, seasoned pizza sauce (she preferred putting tomotoes in a blender and leaving it with that); etc. Her version is much more like focaccia.

Could someone explain fractional ownership to me? How is it different from time share?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's just one property and seems to hold it's value a lot better should you want to sell. The bad is you don't get the same weeks every years so sometimes you get a good one, like last week, and sometimes you don't. I believe they rotate the order of when owner's get to choose. At least that's the way it works where we stayed.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Doesn’t matter to me if they made up the term - that’s good pizza.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
"Detroit style Pizza" seems to have been a trend in NY(Brooklyn) for a handful of years now. If not Detroit style, "Midwest style" pizza is what they call it. There are a couple of very popular Brooklyn based pizzerias responsible for this trend:

https://www.pizzalovesemily.com
https://www.speedyromeo.com/

I've never been blown away by Emily. People still line up early to get in. They supposedly have the "Best" burger ever. They only serve 25 a night. I tried it and it was good, but not mind blowing. The actual temperature of the meat patty was a bit low. The fries were amazing though.

Speedy Romeo has am amazing crust, other elements are good, but not earth-shattering. The vibe inside the BK location is very cozy and inviting. They grill everything over wood. The smell is intoxicating. I'd recommend it, especially in the fall and winter.

...But now that I know it's all fake, according to all the real Detroiters and Midwesterners here, I'm going to go in there to interrogate them! hahaha.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Doesn’t matter to me if they made up the term - that’s good pizza.

I know, isn't it amazing. Make sure the pizza is decent. Attach a name to it, and voilà! Like "Häagen-Dazs" ice cream.

@Ken_R wants to know what this thread is about. It's about thick and thin at Telluride. The snow is thin. The crust is thick. Either way, we're looking for the goods? :p

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January