• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
yea, I suppose one problem with "just enough" fresh is that you cant see what is actually bare. Though Im sure it made the conditions a whole lot better where it wasn't bare. And heck, probably made "everything" a little prettier too.

It certain looks more like a winter wonderland now. But hey, it is VERY hard to score on short trips planned in advance. Heck, ive missed snow by just a day even in a 10 day trip in the middle of winter in Colorado. I know the feeling. Some years the snow falls constantly others (most) like this one it doesnt. We have learned that once a pattern is set it generally does not deviate much. The NOAA long term forecasts called it early on. They nailed it.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yesterday was day1 for us and we got a late start around 10:30 which was great because the snow had started and was already making conditions better. Another 9” overnight and things should be quite nice out on the hill. No late start today,

Dinner at Allreds last night was meh at best. Everyone’s entre was way too salty and I would have sent my elk medallions back had anyone come to the table to see if everything was ok...or if I needed another beer, which I did because the 10 ounce glass theyserved was ridiculous. I can not recommend the place for dinner. The butternut squash bisque was delicious though.

Robin got a good deal on her new Black Pearls across the street from the gondola base and we are much happier staying in town than up in mountain village.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Dinner at Allreds last night was meh at best. Everyone’s entre was way too salty

I've never had the pleasure.

Last night, we went to Smuggler's. With our friends joining, it was a party of 9. Amazingly, we did not have to wait for a table at 7 pm. We ordered 4 different appetizers, which are very very sizeable, to share, plus each of us got an entree. All very delicious. Highly recommended

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yesterday was day1 for us and we got a late start around 10:30 which was great because the snow had started and was already making conditions better. Another 9” overnight and things should be quite nice out on the hill. No late start today,

Dinner at Allreds last night was meh at best. Everyone’s entre was way too salty and I would have sent my elk medallions back had anyone come to the table to see if everything was ok...or if I needed another beer, which I did because the 10 ounce glass theyserved was ridiculous. I can not recommend the place for dinner. The butternut squash bisque was delicious though.

Robin got a good deal on her new Black Pearls across the street from the gondola base and we are much happier staying in town than up in mountain village.
And im sure Allreds costed a pretty penny to boot.
As for snow....glad your getting a fair a share of fresh. 18 inches reported since I left last Thursday. Boy you cant make this stuff up as for the luck (or lack of) I received. Though as said the great bluebird days and nice weather did really help make up for it I suppose. That 18 should certainly now be more than enough to cover a lot of the balding spots that marked up my bases and also cover the icy crap. Glad you guys got the goods.

Unless you prefer the higher cost restaurants, we really enjoyed Smugglers (in town) ans Tomboy tavern (in village). Good atmospheres and food. Smugglers has a very convenient means of waiting for a table. They allow you to leave and text you when your table is ready while you can walk around town or wherever you want to go instead of having to wait at the door. All they ask is that you respond with a text number if your coming or if your to cancel. just throwing it out there.
That "dog" pub everyone talks about was always ridiculous wait time. We tired 3 times and the least wait was 1-1/2 hrs and that was a night we tried to hit it early.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've never had the pleasure.

Last night, we went to Smuggler's. With our friends joining, it was a party of 9. Amazingly, we did not have to wait for a table at 7 pm. We ordered 4 different appetizers, which are very very sizeable, to share, plus each of us got an entree. All very delicious. Highly recommended
pretty amazing you had no wait at that time and with 9 people to boot. But yea, that was my favorite pub. Very good.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
and so....Telluride is still costing me money..lol but I dropped off our skis today to get the bases and edges taken care of from T's thin coverage. Of course my wife's skis needed nothing but an edge and wax as for her keeping it all on the groomed and also mostly manmade runs with lots of base. My daughters were so,so, but my sons and certainly mine (the worst of the bunch with a few nice gouges) are going to get some base filler, and a run through my local shops brand new machine. In total about 200 bucks and change for the four pairs. Well....I suppose they will all be ready for next season and I feel better taking care of them. Though I may (and only just a may) go skiing this coming Saturday.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
pretty amazing

Today's skiing was also amazing. 12" in last 24 hours, reported this morning. Got to Polar Queen early and did a few laps before they opened gate to Prospect Bowl at 10, after avy control was completed. When they opened, it was not a simple line drop. They metered us in, about 6 at a time. If they hadn't, the ride to Gold and Prospect chairs would have challenged the most congested Eastern runs on a Saturday of a President's Day Weekend. My daughter's friend lost her way and, we find later, ended up at Prospect Chair, then on Galloping Goose and back at the Village. Crazy. My daughter waited at bottom of Gold, hoping her friend would show up. I left her and headed to Rev Bowl. She hasn't learned that there are no friends on a powder day. In a patrolled resort that we have been to three years in a row, there are no teenage daughters either. I took off.

First tracks and nearly first-tracks at Rev Bowl were amazing. Yeah, ok, I brought my 85-width skis, considering the conditions at Telluride, and I occasionally hit a hardpacked base. But, no big deal. Snow was flying everywhere with every turn; got blasted in the face a few times. The return to Prospect to meet up with my wife and son, down Little Rose, was also amazing, and another learning experience. It becomes a gulley. Yup, I did it again and got sucked into untouched powder on skier's right. Crrrch! Crrrch! Ski comes of and I am carving a turn on my boot, in rocks. A really good skier happened to be near by, guiding a woman down the trail. She explained that there was a reason (like at Rev Bowl the other day) that the snow there was untracked. :( Not only does that side of the gulley's solar aspect result in thinner, or no, cover, the track of the storm deposited more snow on the gulley's skier's left. That last part I don't understand. A gulley is kind of protected from the wind. So, it seems to me both sides would get just as much snow in a single storm. Anyway, it didn't. I kept a close eye on where she was skiing, until the gulley opened up to an apron. I did venture into the trees on skiers left of the gulley, keeping sight of the gulley. Amazing and untracked.

My skis had been tuned after the incident at Rev Bowl the other day and I'd like to comment on the tuning. Great job by Boot Doctors. They perfectly filled the base gouges that exposed the edges, on both skis, which I wanted to fill to avoid snagging and pulling out an edge. Edges were sharpened, but in such a way that one can still see marks left by rocks. I.e., they didn't grind down to a polished surface. They did what was needed for the type of skiing being done, preserving the life of the ski. Nicely done.

Another amazing thing? At 1 PM, there was no line at TomBoy. In fact, they gave us a table that could accommodate up to 10, though it was just me and my wife with a promise that three kids will show up. Yes, it has really slowed down at Telluride. Both yesterday and today, lines were pretty short. Ski school classes were fewer and smaller.

Forecast of temperature has been more accurate than forecast of snow. It's been cold the last few days and will be again tomorrow. Having chosen tomorrow for ice climbing has worked out; it is on. Looking forward to it.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great day no doubt! We must have been right behind you Karlo, in the line to get back to Gold Hill lift and Revvy bowl. Traversed left and got fresh tracks then traversed far right and found knee deep in the trees there. Met our friends and lapped Prospecter lift where there was nice soft snow . Had a long, late, leisurely lunch under heat lamps at Bon Vivant. Going to see Galactic at New Sheridan tonight.

Tomorrow will be a late start.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting posts above. Sounds adventurous to say the least. Now that you've all got snows perhaps some nicer blue bird days and good temps can round out your trips. That's only assuming if you've havnt had that yet. :)

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Going to see Galactic at New Sheridan tonight.

OMG, you have tickets! I tried about two weeks ago and it was already sold out, on what turns out to be an uncrowded week at Telluride! Would love to read a report.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
and so....Telluride is still costing me money..lol but I dropped off our skis today to get the bases and edges taken care of from T's thin coverage. Of course my wife's skis needed nothing but an edge and wax as for her keeping it all on the groomed and also mostly manmade runs with lots of base. My daughters were so,so, but my sons and certainly mine (the worst of the bunch with a few nice gouges) are going to get some base filler, and a run through my local shops brand new machine. In total about 200 bucks and change for the four pairs. Well....I suppose they will all be ready for next season and I feel better taking care of them. Though I may (and only just a may) go skiing this coming Saturday.

I've earned the gouges on my skis, just like I've earned my scars. Signs you were out there exploring.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OMG, you have tickets! I tried about two weeks ago and it was already sold out, on what turns out to be an uncrowded week at Telluride! Would love to read a report.

We bought them about a month ago. New Sheridan Opera House is a great venue and the sound/mix was really good. I have seen Galactic a few times over the last 8 years at various festivals but never a full concert. They were better and funkier than I remembered. Really great show. Female singer who's name I couldn't catch was amazing. I mean Whitney Houston good!

Snow was still really good, nice and soft on most of the hill yesterday. Skied 4 runs up in Revelation Bowl the groomer was chalky, high altitude snow and the ungroomed had lots of soft crud and no crunch. We skied a bunch over by Plunge and Bushwhacker and they both skied very well as well. Heard the front side of Gold Hill lift was not so great. We are trying to stay where there is more cover because Robin just picked up a new pair of Black Pearls at the Boot Doctor. The Day before she put a core shot into some 108mm Black Crows they let her use as part of the package. They forgave her for the core shot though.

I stopped by the local guitar shop and rented an acoustic for a few days. They invited me to a bluegrass jam last night but we had other plans. Love this town and the mountain too!

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The abovementioned drop was at Middle Ames (Mystic Falls). The short trek up included a climb up Lower Ames, left side of photo.

WP_20180320_09_47_14_Pro.jpg

To the right is a trickling stream and pillows. Here are the sights and sounds,

Telluride is a fantastic place. Glad to have come despite the poor snow pack.

Great day skiing today. Some fresh snow and soft moguls still to be found under Apex chair. Gotta accept the few rocks and logs

WC68

Booting up
Skier
Wow....what a bust today was. Totally dryslotted. Bummer. I really hope the “possible” snow Wednesday pans out.
Headed west in the AM.

Last edited:

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Maybe not a total bust. Today, chairs 12-15 never opened on account of wind. Read, Prospect Bowl and Revelation Bowl. Gusts up to 60 mph, from the southwest and west. That means there could be a lot of untracked wind transported snow on northeast faces tomorrow, the faces that are less sun affected and already have a greater base (ahem, have a base). I'm thinking Little Rose off Gold Hill Chair, and Black Iron Bowl off Prospect Chair, and Prospect Bowl in general.

Sponsor

Staff online