• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WC68

Booting up
Skier
Totally disagree.

There are 3.5 weeks left in T-ride's season. Plenty of time for dumping redemption. Or, melt off disaster.

Lots of drama to still to play out at T-ride this year.
Dude this thread started with negativity. I’m going in 9 days....time to start some positive vibes. I can start a new thread.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hope Goose left early this morning....because leaving in these conditions is always tough.
I remember a week in Steamboat in January with spring like conditions without spring like coverage and it dumped on our way out of town,

What can ya Do? It is what it is. Left tride 6am n flew out montrose at 930. ...but now at Denver airport and my flight to Newark is 3 and 1/2 hr delay. This is the worst. Was suppose to land 630 but now not till 945pm. I'm pissed.

Reactions: BC.

AJP

Booting up
Skier
That's what I like to do. Gotta be up early in the morning to go again!

Yeah, I avoid Imperial Bowl. But was Whale's Tail open? Such a great bowl. Not very steep, but the stuff below it is, unless you know to bear right and go through the gate and ski Forget Me Not (which I'm betting is pretty scraped right now).

<3 Horseshoe Bowl. Good skiing on Peak 6, too.

Whales tail was open , did it once. was better better than imperial bowl but not as good as horseshoe.

What really surprised me was how good zuma cornice was on sunday at a bay. I had never really explored that area before and it was a blast!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
What can ya Do? It is what it is. Left tride 6am n flew out montrose at 930. ...but now at Denver airport and my flight to Newark is 3 and 1/2 hr delay. This is the worst. Was suppose to land 630 but now not till 945pm. I'm pissed.

That's frustrating.

I left Big Sky in spring conditions down to dirt in many places, and it dumped feet after I left. Stupid nature.

Whales tail was open , did it once. was better better than imperial bowl but not as good as horseshoe.

What really surprised me was how good zuma cornice was on sunday at a bay. I had never really explored that area before and it was a blast!

I think I skied Whale's Tail once or twice this season. Weird. Horseshoe is def a favorite. Zuma is great, and you can move around the arc as the sun moves for optimum snow quality.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Take the train to the A-concourse. Go up to the top floor. Walk over the cool sky bridge and watch planes go under you. Exit security and on the other side is an awesome winter sports art exhibit:

http://images.flydenver.com/Art-at-DIA/Temporary-Exhibits/Winter-Sports-USA/

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
@Goose, sorry you encountered the flight delay. That skybridge that @tball mentions sounds awesome. Almost makes me want to be delayed, so I can check it out with the kids.

Strange day today. It alternated between windy, cold flurries and blistering sun and heat in stagnant air. We did multiple laps of double green Double Cabin, with my daughter working on her riding (she picked up a snowboard end of last year's trip to Telluride), and me working on my Wedge Christies (all three examiners flunked my WC's a few weeks ago). My daughter even took some videos of me, so she and I can do some Movement Analysis. A lazy day today, hoping the predicted overnight snow appears.

BTW, yesterday, Dynamo looked pretty good from the top. And, the exit as viewed from Woozly looked good to. But, the thin cover sign deterred us, especially with some snow coming.

Far right of Revelation, traversing over the upper moguls to get there, was not bad. I'd call it chalky. The lane under the lift, after the second tower, to which skiers on the groomer had scraped the snow, was really good.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@Goose you left and its snowing! :doh::doh::doh: :huh:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

The old Newark delay......classic...have been on a lot of flights back into Newark from the west......and I can tell you...99,9% of the time it is delayed.

Casualties of war.....EWR....where getting home on time is not gonna happen.....lol

Sorry brotha.....

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
@Goose you left and its snowing!

That's my story past two years. But, we're back in Telluride anyway. Wife loves it, kids love it, hence I love it. :).

As for the snow, forecasts have been up and down. Earlier this week, more had been predicted. Snowing in town now. We shall see.

Hoping that temperature forecasts are more accurate. Going ice climbing. If all goes well, it should be spectacular. One of the good venues in North America. Forecast shows a good solid cold spell, warming on Wednesday; hence, I chose Tuesday. Wondering how we'll fare though, at this altitude. The guide ain't going to hoist us up.

Spoke to a patrolman today about the possibility of hiking up to Palmyra, then back down, as the ski trail is closed. But, "closed is closed"; can't do that. What nice weather it's been though to do something like that.

Last edited:
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
The old Newark delay......classic...have been on a lot of flights back into Newark from the west......and I can tell you...99,9% of the time it is delayed.

Casualties of war.....EWR....where getting home on time is not gonna happen.....lol

Sorry brotha.....
yea I here ya. Apparently Newark had delays over an hour due to winds early on. But the 4 hr delay ended up that the original scheduled plane from Newark to Denver which was to be our plane back to Newark had mechanical issues and was grounded having never left newark. So this was a different plane but almost 4hours later? I mean Newark is a main hub for united and you would think being a main hub there would been more option than to delay things 4hrs. Lots of people on my flight missed connections over to Europe. Lets just say they were already tired and now totally bummed.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Goose you left and its snowing! :doh::doh::doh: :huh:
yup,..what can ya do? Even a few inches of refresh would have been nice. At least things would have skied better anyway. But hey all in all it was great trip and experience. At least we had blue bird days and that was a positive especially for the wife and the scenery, etc... Im glad for some fresh snow for those there now :)

Reactions: RJS
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Goose, sorry you encountered the flight delay. That skybridge that @tball mentions sounds awesome. Almost makes me want to be delayed, so I can check it out with the kids.

Strange day today. It alternated between windy, cold flurries and blistering sun and heat in stagnant air. We did multiple laps of double green Double Cabin, with my daughter working on her riding (she picked up a snowboard end of last year's trip to Telluride), and me working on my Wedge Christies (all three examiners flunked my WC's a few weeks ago). My daughter even took some videos of me, so she and I can do some Movement Analysis. A lazy day today, hoping the predicted overnight snow appears.

BTW, yesterday, Dynamo looked pretty good from the top. And, the exit as viewed from Woozly looked good to. But, the thin cover sign deterred us, especially with some snow coming.

Far right of Revelation, traversing over the upper moguls to get there, was not bad. I'd call it chalky. The lane under the lift, after the second tower, to which skiers on the groomer had scraped the snow, was really good.
Woozly way actually had a really nice conditions section or two running between see forever and heading to lift 14. Also good coverage on that run. We did that a few times over before hitting rev bowl. And yea, we noticed that section of rev to the right too but didn't bother to traverse there. My son was just a bit too uncomfortable with the couple icy runs we endured on the left side of rev and so we just left it. There was better skiing over the town side runs than rev anyway.

But as mentioned earlier I got to now get our skis base gouges filled in back home. Fwiw Im glad to be home but also bummed Im not still there..lol

BTW I never was able to get into the brown dog everyone talks of. Just couldn't deal with 2 or more hr waits. I/we liked smugglers brewery a lot. I mean all our dinners were very good wherever we went but smugglers seemed a good place for us we enjoyed fwiw

Last edited:

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Goose I'm happy you had what sounds like a great trip! For a little while in the beginning I was thinking you should reconsider Telluride, but as time went on I began to think it would work out, and I'm happy it did.

Now that you've been, is Telluride going to be your next Western get away? Or would you consider trying some place new?

Telluride is definitely on my list. If you go for a week, you might as well buy the Epic Pass, so I figure some year I'll buy the Epic Pass and purposefully do a week at Telluride and a week at Whistler. What a season that would be ;)!

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I got to now get our skis base gouges filled

LOL. 4" overnight at the top, after a couple yesterday. Stupidly skied the far skier's right, along the boundary line. Should have known from the other day that there is no base there at all. Two beautiful turns in creamy snow, then crrrh, crrrh, then straight lined it just to protect the edges. Rock skis, meet karlo. karlo, meet your new rock skis. :)

Anyway, it was a great day. Fresh snow everywhere, just stay where one knows there's a base. I'll be doing some work on the bases too.

Bogatyr

Chasing the snow
Skier
From all the feedback Goose gives us from his T vacation both positive and negative - on the positive side: scenery , blue bird days , exciting snowmobile adventures and on the negative side - not enough snow, expensive place overall, dead evenings , etc. I can conclude that the next Western ski destination for him should be either Banff (the big 3) or Wistler.

Reactions: RJS
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
From all the feedback Goose gives us from his T vacation both positive and negative - on the positive side: scenery , blue bird days , exciting snowmobile adventures and on the negative side - not enough snow, expensive place overall, dead evenings , etc. I can conclude that the next Western ski destination for him should be either Banff (the big 3) or Wistler.
well, to be fair my feedback wasn't really meant as negative or positive. But only to offer others a fair assessment about the conditions and/or also fwiw some the other things one may want to know about the place. At least from my experience this past week.
I did say although the snow conditions were well below a Telluride (or general Colorado) norm and having those better (even average) snows and conditions is not what we had, it was still great for us ski wise in very many ways. Expense and quiet evenings was just an offered opinion to others possible heading there and not necessarily bad things per say. But was a bit strange I thought. There is fwiw a negative side to places with a lot more lively evenings. So that's not always a great thing either..lol
Tons of families with kids there so I think a lot of that has to do with the nightlife. But its not like one couldn't stay out late at some the pubs/bars if they chose to.

Iv said in this thread that whistler was a top consideration for me when first deciding where to go. But whistler is also known to be very hit/miss in march where it could rain a lot. Also (correct if wrong) but doesn't really have that famous rockies dry powder but leans more to heavier wetter perhaps a bit more "east coastish?" snow. So that was something (even though didn't work out at T for us) that I wanted to experience. And T would have normally offered that in early/mid March.

My main choices came down to Telluride, whistler , big sky , park city,
and in no specific order, But honestly I investigated a hundred places from heavenly, to sun valley, to vail, .to breck, to squaw , to just about everywhere you can think of.

I have no idea where I would go any next time. I certainly would have no issue doing telluride again. But seeing/doing other new places is always a good thing when that time comes.

Maybe I should book a place now for march of 2020 and begin a "should I cancel my vaca due to conditions thread now" LOL
DONT WORRY FOLKS, I wont do that.....maybe;)

Now my wife and I planning a 25th anniversary trip and she wants white sand and blue waters and palm trees for this one. Though honestly she really did love Colorado and truly appreciated all the natural beauty even more than I thought she would and also enjoyed the skiing. She said a few times to me during and after this trip.... "you were right" . Meaning for years I always try to convince her that what she would see and experience would be something quite impressive. And that vacations don't have at all to be blue waters and white sands. Only now does she not only see what I meant but actually really liked it. Even apologized for being so blind and unwilling towards it. But that said, yea its off to an Island later this year for our 25th and that's just fine with me. :)

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
LOL. 4" overnight at the top, after a couple yesterday. Stupidly skied the far skier's right, along the boundary line. Should have known from the other day that there is no base there at all. Two beautiful turns in creamy snow, then crrrh, crrrh, then straight lined it just to protect the edges. Rock skis, meet karlo. karlo, meet your new rock skis. :)

Anyway, it was a great day. Fresh snow everywhere, just stay where one knows there's a base. I'll be doing some work on the bases too.
yea, I suppose one problem with "just enough" fresh is that you cant see what is actually bare. Though Im sure it made the conditions a whole lot better where it wasn't bare. And heck, probably made "everything" a little prettier too.