• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm 6'1 190 and choosing between the 180 & 187 in the same ski... any thoughts? Can't find any reviews of the 82 yet.
It really depends on what you expect out of the ski? My inclination would be the 180, if you are looking more off piste and for versatility and if you want to go to a 187..I would move up to the 88.

shaneynice

Carving fiend
Skier
I have an old brahma 88 in the 180. Loved it, but it did have a top end, so I'm curious about the 187, just not sure more top end is worth trading a touch more versatility with the 180.

I'm having the most fun when carving on my 170 Head iSL --so for me, the narrower the better in terms of my all mountain ski :)

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
Bought a set of once used Smith ChromaPop googles off eBay a couple weeks ago. Planned on buying skis this season, so read every review I could on Pugski, SKI, SkiCanada, Mountain, RealSkiers, and on line. As background,

I'm 70 years old, 155 lb, 5’ 8” in ski clothes and boots, my boots are Salomon Xmax 110W, BSL 305mm, took some learn to race camps at Waterville Valley and Stowe back in the 80’s, got some Nastar silver medals, since the 90’s averaged about 5-10 days a year at Vail, Telluride and Winter Park, Whistler/Blackcomb and Squaw Valley, past 10 years mostly at Alta, but also Taos a couple weeks, mostly blues and single diamond blacks.

I skied The National and Liftline at Stowe after they had groomed off the icy moguls back in the 80’s, and Challenger, Sunspot, Stone Crusher and Race Course at Alta a few times. Nowadays, generally do 7-10 runs/day, poop out after that. Take a lesson occasionally, think I’m classified as level 7-8 out of 9, so advanced intermediate.

Previous skis:

Rossi ST Comps 190cm
Atomic Bionic SL 195cm
Salomon 9000 2E 200cm
Volkl Carver 2 190cm

Current skis: Salomon X-Wing Tornado 162cm, 124-75-107mm all-mountain 2006-7. Have taken these into boot deep and even knee deep powder and done OK. They don't hold on ice quite as well as I prefer, although that could be me also.

Initially I was thinking the all mountain East/frontside category, but I’ve had some knee issues, so now I’m thinking front-side skis would suit me best. If I run into a powder dump day, I can always rent. After reading reviews from Pugski as well as Ski, SkiCanada, realskiers.com, seniorskiers.com, I had settled on a short list to demo.

Then I was in Boston this weekend and popped into The Ski Monster shop and they offered me a good deal so I went ahead and pre-ordered Stockli Laser AX 168cm skis with Look Pivot 12 bindings. They're supposed to ship in a few weeks. We shall see.

willgoelz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Getting ready to order my gear for the season! In the next month or so I plan on ordering:

-2x Head I.GS RD Pro 181cm 25m
-2x Head I.SL RD 165cm 13m
-4x Head Freeflex EVO 16
-Head B4 RD
-one of the 96mm ON3P customs (Kartel, Woodsman, or Wrenegade)
-Look Pivot 14s/18s for the freeskis
-Head double rolling ski bag
-Sweet Protection Volata/Discesa

Already bought my Colmar race suit, Zipline WC backpack, and have my 156cm Head SL skis and Line Tigersnake park skis.

Maybe looking for a pair of 202cm 40m sg skis as well, but not quite sure about those. Still need to get rid of my old GS skis first

So hyped for the season!

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I've paid for my Epic Local Pass, does that count?

As for gear, this year, I'm only considering:
  • another low light lens for my goggles,
  • an extra set of ski poles and
  • maybe a new pair of gloves.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
In the past two weeks, booked:
3-day Hokkaido Dec 13-15, venue TBD
2-day Iwate Dec 28-29
2-day Iwate Jan 4-5
4-day Furano Jan 9-12
Tokyo-Zurich-Tokyo Jan 22 - Feb 2
4-day Hokkaido Feb 13-16

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
On the other hand, when you've only been skiing 5-10 days a year, clothing can last an embarrassingly long time. I think the last major piece of ski clothing I bought was a Head 10th Mountain Division Commemorative jacket (50th Anniversary?, which would be 1994!). And I think I still have ski socks from 30 years ago....although I did buy some new ski socks this year. :roflmao:

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski Essentials delivered again: I just got a pair of 2019 Salomon QST 99s with Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW bindings for $455 — I combined a loyalty reward voucher and a 10% sale. (The sale runs until Sept. 23 and they have some great deals). Not bad at all.

New Yorkers: the Paragon Warehouse Sale apparently has some good stuff. A friend just bought a pair of 2018 Line Soulmates for $250 (not sure which width).

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ordered Renoun Endurance yesterday. Got a call from Cyrus Schenck Thursday evening after filing out an online questionnaire. Surprise!?!! U Betcha! Seemed like a heck of a nice fellow, and a good saesman too. Told him my interest was piqued by Phil's reviews and indorsements here. After several questions and the area where I ski, he recommended the Endurance. Have heard various questions/ opinions on mounting points. Any suggestions here?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
20190920_182020-01-01.jpeg
20190920_182137-01.jpeg
Very good day at the mailbox.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Let’s see, Epic Pass and Ikon Pass.

Aero crossbars for new Subie Forester so I can use my roof box.

Next, booties with Intuition foam.
image.jpg

....and new skis. Bindings are next.
E61F92A2-1678-496B-861F-59CEFBCAE20C.jpeg

Next, Storm Flash Yellow Chromapop lenses for my Smith I/OS goggles, since they don’t seem to be available for I/O7. And while I bought new skis, I’m too cheap to buy a new I/O Mag and extra lenses when I have two pair of goggles that work perfectly well.

That might be about it for this season.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January