• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
For the destination skier... put all of your ski stuff in one place so it is easier to pack. We have a retired very oversize piece of luggage that houses all of the ski gear.

I stage it in a conspicuous, not quite annoying location, so my wife is often reminded that 'we should go skiing' :)

My gear never gets stored. It gets dried out every night and put back in the bag for the next use. Skis are in the same ready to go location all the time.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Yesterday's snowboarder is today's park skier ... any cool points you lose might be because they think you're trying too hard to fit in with them! :roflmao:

I have suffered from mistaken identity in my baggy gear. On the lift one day a young twin tipper wanted to know if I was riding up to hit the park. No I said, now that I'm a little older I just can't take the falls like I used to. No sh*t, he replied, since I turned twenty one it's been all down hill. I guess with my SA Buff and Fishbowl goggles on he couldn't tell I had thirty years on him

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Not booting up in the parking lot. Lots easier to just walk in regular shoes/boots and boot up in the day room. Safer, easier and less wear on the boot.
Was a happy lodge guy for years until my wife said stop being such a wussy and boot up at the truck like a real skier. I listened to the wife.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Not booting up in the parking lot. Lots easier to just walk in regular shoes/boots and boot up in the day room. Safer, easier and less wear on the boot.

My only exception to this is if I get to Mary Jane early enough, the lodge is a longer walk than the lift.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Years ago I bought a piece of canvas at the local Army/Navy store to stand on when putting on and taking off my hunting waders at the truck. It works just as well for ski area parking lots. It rolls up small and has been bullet proof over many years. It doubles (triples? quadruples?) as a seat protector/dog hair collector/ski divider.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Smartphones and skiing 30 minutes from home/office are the two major reasons I can get so much ski time in.

Gratuitous duct tape to make it look skankier than it really is. Plus you can use the duct tape for repairs when needed.
I keep a long strip of duct tape wrapped around one of my poles near the handle in case I need an on slope repair

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Flawed: the beer gets warmer quicker than the boots. :eek::( One has to keep disposing of the soon-to-be-warm ones.
If you have someone else to drive you home, you can always have two pints! :D (and if you have a driver and broke your arm on the 2nd run of the day:rolleyes:, I recommend a double whiskey and a beer chaser before the bootectomy at the end of the day).

EDIT: avoid the temptation to hold the feet/boots too close to the fireplace.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If you have someone else to drive you home, you can always have two pints! :D (and if you have a driver and broke your arm on the 2nd run of the day:rolleyes:, I recommend a double whiskey and a beer chaser before the bootectomy at the end of the day).

You will immediately perceive the hassle, the sobriety, the pity and the cold-toe woe of having a designated driver who is far better at breaking stuff on the 2nd run of the day, on the 2nd day of the season, than I am.
10552436_10203938042548859_5099990054670277079_n.jpg

#spearingsnowwhalesdoesn'tmakeyougoodinbumps
#howaboutnordicnextseasonhmmm

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I keep a long strip of duct tape wrapped around one of my poles near the handle in case I need an on slope repair
Or if you need to shim/cant your boot slightly..

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I'm guessing like the Anon MFI (Magnetic Facemask Integration). You facemask clips to your goggles magnetically, so you are fully covered.

https://www.burton.com/us/en/c/anon-mfi-collection

I have the Anon magnetic face mask and Seirus has a magnamask that detaches and unhinges. The anon is supposed to magnetically attach to anon goggles but I just put some magnets on the bottom of my preferred goggles and it works fine.

That was a joke. And, if not, it's even funnier!

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Off the hill, YouTube skiing videos. Enjoyed anytime, practically anywhere. Watch enough Mikaela Shiffrin videos, over and over, and you'll soon ski as well as I do. ;) No, but really, so much to enjoy, so much to learn. IMO, after shaped skis, its YouTube... then, the hydration tube, the one connected to your flask.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online