• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Best hack for me -
Midlife makeover, moving from the midwest to Tahoe. THAT made a huge improvement in my life and my skiing experience.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What are your favorite helpful hacks/ideas/processes that make life easier getting to, on, and returning from the slopes?

Frequent smaller areas. Everything is just so much easier. This is not my pic, but it is one of my regular places. This is the primary lift, btw.

Mt-Abram-by-Ryan-Dunfee-2.jpg

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Left one out...
- Black generic ski bags, the number and age of which cannot be ascertained by an SO.
Under the radar...good move! See @Tricia, my monochromatic jacket and pants allow me to get new ones with no one being the wiser!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
You’d definitely fit in out here.

When my husband was alive, he carried. Never really thought about it till WB gathering. So my souvenir of that trip was stainless steel one to replace his. His was round, I like the flat/curved style. It's all about the silhouette. Curve hides better.

Also agree about the lessons. Makes all the difference. Technique or just raising the confidence level.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Season pass at the local hill. You end skiing more, and more miles on snow makes you a better skier, which makes it even more fun.
Actually, the mega passes were my equivalent hack. I got the maxx pass add on a few years ago for the first time and concentrated so much on getting my money's worth that I ended up becoming a much better skier. Twice as many days at multiple different hills forced me to become more comfortable with different regions, snow conditions, and terrain.

Also learned some useful travel skills. I never otherwise would know how to pack so I could get off the plane, grab my skis, catch an uber to a strategically located car rental place and be skiing Eldora by the afternoon, using that as a waystop to WP the next day. Definitely forced me out of my comfort zone.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For me, a "hack" is a non conformist tweak that you create yourself or vary from the norm.

When booting up in the parking lot, not just a chair or stool but a small carpet/doormat to stand on
Ski storage: Cleats for hanging the skis on the wall, and storing skis w/o bindings HERE.
Portable Tuning/Mounting Bench HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I keep my boots warm with boot sticks plugged in overnight, then in the AM stick mittens in the top, and plug in the sticks again while driving. I use a battery jumper to avoid any issues of blowing out my car's fuses. (I think I'm safe with this car, but learned my lesson on the last car when I did it twice.). I arrive at the ski resort, zip up my boot bag with the sticks still in the boots. Walk to lodge, boots are still noticeably warm when my feet go in.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
For me, a "hack" is a non conformist tweak that you create yourself or vary from the norm.

When booting up in the parking lot, not just a chair or stool but a small carpet/doormat to stand on
Ski storage: Cleats for hanging the skis on the wall, and storing skis w/o bindings HERE.
Portable Tuning/Mounting Bench HERE.

I pull out one of my back seat floor mats. Two birds...

wutangclan

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you're a white collar worker with telecommuting privileges, take your laptop up the mountain on a work day and connect either by resort wifi or mobile tethering. Respond to the urgent stuff throughout the day, catch up on real work in the evening. Works better if there's lockers or bag check at the top so that you don't have to carry your laptop all day. Even better if you can accomplish a lot of your work on a phablet.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're like me, afraid to abandon property you don't want to lose, accept that at times it happens, put a heated boot bag in the safest close to the slopes place you can, accept that someone might take it but do it anyways and leave a spare set of shoes/layers in the car just in case. Haven't consulted an actuary but my locker savings have been substantial and I haven't been ripped off yet.

If it makes you feel better, smudge up the bag to make it look ratty and less desirable. Maybe a cross and rosaries.

Great thread topic this is a never-ending search for all of us.

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
Great thread! Some stuff I like

* snow tires -- Haakepelitas if you have a RWD vehicle especially
* Depending on the mountain, take your lunch/bag up mountain and stash it at the day lodge / mid mountain cafeteria. Obviously doesn't work at all places, but its a nice trick, especially if you are in downloading situation later in the day (spring, gondola, rubber legs...etc.)
* singles line
* parking lot pick up / drop off points, especially if you have a group / kids
* day-lodges with microwaves in out of the way places, ask locals / staff
* clear plastic tubs for every persons gear so you can store easily at home, and pack a truck efficiently, depending on who is going. we make 'snow gear angels' on the floor to make sure every kid has everything needed - gloves, hats, scarves etc.
* spare helmets, pants, jackets for the occasional non skier to join in on a jaunt. usually there is some kind of $100 lesson/rental package, and at least this way you can keep the start up cost low for a person who might only sample this once. (of course if its awesome, maybe you make a convert!)
* buddy passes, ski with a friend, BOGO offers, and the like
* college ski club swap meets
* if you use a roofbox, bag everything that goes up there, except for skis.
* velcro straps for holding skis/poles together when traveling / walking around
* SIGG water bottles
* thin glove liners
* If you're skiing Mount WalletBuster, don't wear a Wallet Buster pin, hat, or shirt. People will think your staff or hospitality and ask you what time the last shuttle bus in to town is.
* for those with DVD players in the car, the de rigeur Warren Miller collection, picked up on eBay

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Best hack for me -
Midlife makeover, moving from the midwest to Tahoe. THAT made a huge improvement in my life and my skiing experience.

Along those lines, moving someplace where I can get a good night's sleep in my own bed overnight, wake up early and watch when chain control lifts, and actually make it through during a 40-minute open window is something I'm proud of. I suppose the non-conformist tweak is that I have been known to sleep in my base layers. :roflmao:

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Learning the ‘Dean Decas’ move: as you’re hauling outta control or about to careen into that tree, look directly down the fallline & square your shoulders to the same. Plant a pole & keep your hands level. Drive your skis across the hill hard & just know that you’ll slow & move over your skis & back into perfect balance. :)

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The biggest help for me was buying an AWD car in 2002. I haven't chained up since; and yes, I did chain up many times before that, with my young daughter waiting in the car (not fun). I don't think I would do that now.

Sponsor