• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
if you like the look of that also consider a ferrari about the same dollars
look is very similar but it comes with a bigger front trunk.
mid engine cars need as much trunk space as possible for road trips

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If I ever had to replace my 1993 Toyota MR2 turbo that I have owned since 2000, I would start looking for a Honda S2000 or a Mazda Miata turbo.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The Honda S2000 retains an incredible amount of value. It's impossible to find one around here for less than $30k in decent condition. Great car though for sure.
Miata is a fine car, maybe a little to small.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
If you're a serious car nut.. can't forget the FF 808 or GTM..

Some day i'll build an 808C.. https://www.factoryfive.com/818/

Perhaps your more of a sunny day type of ride..

https://www.autotrader.ca/cars/factory five racing/

More of a built not bought.. and on the same kind of line..

Built jeep.. most fun you can have going slow, still take the kids, take the roof off and hell, take the doors off, then come winter, it'll still get you to the hill.

I miss my jeep.. currently building up a wagoneer (82.. real full size jeep) hopefully have it on the road this year.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Honda S2000 retains an incredible amount of value. It's impossible to find one around here for less than $30k in decent condition. Great car though for sure.

True. And before this came to pass, I passed up two with under 20,000 miles, for around $16,000.

Ah......bygones!

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Look for a gently used 2014-2016 Porsche Cayman or Cayman S with its 6 cylinder goodness, or a Boxter if you want top-down.

Back in 2014 I had an ‘08 911 manual which I kept for 3 years. At that time I also and found a smoking deal for my wife on an ‘07 Boxster with Tiptronic. I was more impressed wth the Boxster and its 245 hp, than my 911, except for the Tiptronic of course. I often said that that base Boxster with a stick would have been a superb driving experience for $cheap. HP alone is over rated, unless it is insane HP. Great steering, braking, a solid chassis, a great transmission and adequate engine is a recipe for fun.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
the boxster is very good bang for the buck
a buddy has an older s model with the 6 speed manual, even more storage space than my tt if i don't fold the seats down.

We've done a lot of long twisty road trips together taking both cars (and the wives)
If your seriously looking for a fun car to drive, look at ones that can carry enough gear for a good road trip, it's really the whole point of having one .
Driving to the grocery store or even a favorite local drive will get lame pretty fast.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

Came across some 3 wheelers at the Reno auto museum a few years back.
E6DC8BAD-AB3D-4A7A-8AC5-232D79C53D28.jpeg

Along with a few other favorites
C19E5598-E23A-4B57-8815-52DEBF34FE32.jpeg

This one was sleek
5BE2A48D-56DA-4AD5-BB12-A0817EC708E5.jpeg

Not very practical but my personal favorite
A24D444C-9245-4BF6-B241-D39A88FFF252.jpeg

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
If your not running from the cop successfully your car and skill isnt high enough.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1990-nissan-pulsar-gti-r-rb/ Id say get this.

The car has and I quote "276hp" IE apparently the RB has more like 350 hp, it only weighs 2400lb.

Post like this make me wish I hadnt sold my 250hp 1900lb 1990 Civic Si, its still faster around a a track or AX course than anything being mentioned. It was also much faster on Western PA backroads than the local crown Vics, even faster enough to outrun the radios.

It was very sleeper, ran 13 flat quarter miles(very fast back in the mid 2000s), 1.1gs on DOT legal street tires and overall very fast aand easy to drive, would only cost 6-7 k to builld one assuming you could find a nice enough chassis.

183222_4401718356_4217_n.jpg

its pretty crazy to beat legitmated supercar and hypercar and hyper cars in a then 20 year old hatchback. Sure its a civic is always the knock, but its cheaper enough to wreck and walk away from, which because it has full cage hidden behind the pillars you could have. Most modern cars are bound by too much emissions regulation to truly have fun with anyways, Id get something old, 88-95 Civic, old GTI, a japanese import, original Type R powered Elise, Miata, FOx body mustang, E36 BMW, these are the real performance cars IMO if you have 10k and a shop all can be made into something that will terrorize not just new muscle cars, but basically anything anywhere.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Post like this make me wish I hadnt sold my 250hp 1900lb 1990 Civic Si, its still faster around a a track or AX course than anything being mentioned. It was also much faster on Western PA backroads than the local crown Vics, even faster enough to outrun the radios.

It was very sleeper, ran 13 flat quarter miles(very fast back in the mid 2000s), 1.1gs on DOT legal street tires and overall very fast aand easy to drive, would only cost 6-7 k to builld one assuming you could find a nice enough chassis.

its pretty crazy to beat legitmated supercar and hypercar and hyper cars in a then 20 year old hatchback. Sure its a civic is always the knock, but its cheaper enough to wreck and walk away from, which because it has full cage hidden behind the pillars you could have. Most modern cars are bound by too much emissions regulation to truly have fun with anyways, Id get something old, 88-95 Civic, old GTI, a japanese import, original Type R powered Elise, Miata, FOx body mustang, E36 BMW, these are the real performance cars IMO if you have 10k and a shop all can be made into something that will terrorize not just new muscle cars, but basically anything anywhere.

There is a massively popular class of club racing in NZ, the Honda Cup, running older Civics & Integras....my bro-in-law runs a Civic....huge amount of fun for not much money. They are great cars and properly quick - people tend to forget the beauty of the power-to-weight formula.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1990-nissan-pulsar-gti-r-rb/ Id say get this.

The car has and I quote "276hp" IE apparently the RB has more like 350 hp, it only weighs 2400lb.

And it's a 2 door! WIN!

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The Caterham has actually been on the radar. Completely impractical..but it IS a fun car.. :D

Sponsor

Staff online