• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
That's why I'd like to drive one of these someday... not own either one, mind you; Just drive one someplace fun.

At Las Vegas Motor Speedway there is a racing school...

They also have a two seater Indy style race car that for a fee a professional driver will take you out and scare the hell out of you at 180 mph.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I dont think the amount of doors really matters, but its technically a 3dr!

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
The Caterham has actually been on the radar. Completely impractical..but it IS a fun car.. :D

There have been some insane Caterham variants over the years....still are a couple, like the 620. Same with the Atom (the 500hp/1300lb variant from a few years back springs to mind).

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
CRX si, I had one like this in 1985. I think it was like 100hp, It was so light I thought it would just levitate off the road at some point. I couldn’t imagine it with 250 hp!
3D5E38D7-310E-4ADF-9084-B9CE5519C67A.jpeg

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
your in 1985 didnt look like that, and it had 90 hp;)

1525027390724221e9d363e2fe15246298738764daP1000201-1-940x705.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
your in 1985 didnt look like that, and it had 90 hp;)

1525027390724221e9d363e2fe15246298738764daP1000201-1-940x705.jpg

Now that you mention it, you’re right. I remember now, 91hp & mine having a black rubber whale tail. I never tried to get away from the cops but I probably should have. Finally sold it after getting too many speeding tickets.
Definitely a fun car

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My gf at the time had a 1988 CRX Si..lovely car to be honest. Light, direct steering with real *GASP* feedback..and probably the best gearshift feel ever. I'm quite sure most of them are oxide by now... :D

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ya, there are several 4 door cars that will haul ass, but they're still 4 door sedans..
Sports sedans were invented for dads needing more fun, like @scott43 ! It's such a competitive segment with a bunch of good cars.

CR featured my fav G37 in the best video I've seen from them (popped up in my feed today). Check out this link to the "don't try this at home" drifting segment:

"Here's a car that drives like a Mazda Miata, only with four doors and over 300 horsepower." :D;)

And, it's super reliable. I'll be buying a G37 if our G35 that has been beaten to crap by nannies ever dies. This time with a 6MT for dad, if I can find one.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
My ideal car is fun to drive (which leaves out almost all SUVS and Crossovers) but also practical (to carry stuff), gets decent fuel mileage, and has AWD. Finding vehicles with all this is becoming not easy.. My last car was a WRX hatch/wagon and was pretty darn close. When it came time to replace that car, it became clear that vehicles like that with AWD and a manual trans were almost non-existent. Ended up with a first-gen BMW X1. Technically an SUV/Crossover, but really a slightly tall hatch/wagon, but no manual trans available. At least the ZF 8-speed is a great auto trans. Not sure what my next car may be, maybe an AUDI A5 hatchback..

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A couple of my hockey buddies have Audi S5's and S7's. They seem to stick to that particular car..second or third one for them...

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
My ideal car is fun to drive (which leaves out almost all SUVS and Crossovers) but also practical (to carry stuff), gets decent fuel mileage, and has AWD. Finding vehicles with all this is becoming not easy.. My last car was a WRX hatch/wagon and was pretty darn close. When it came time to replace that car, it became clear that vehicles like that with AWD and a manual trans were almost non-existent. Ended up with a first-gen BMW X1. Technically an SUV/Crossover, but really a slightly tall hatch/wagon, but no manual trans available. At least the ZF 8-speed is a great auto trans. Not sure what my next car may be, maybe an AUDI A5 hatchback..

Yeah, my ideal BMW is an '09-'12 535Xi Touring with a manual; very hard one to find though. Although, I do enjoy my wife's X3 35i.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...maybe an AUDI A5 hatchback..

I was just looking at those yesterday. Pricey, of course, but seem very nice and tick a lot of boxes. I probably won't be buying for a little while yet though - my current car is a 2008 with 165K miles. It's got some life left.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Simple - Chevy Camaro V6 (335hp) 6sp with just the 1LE package - can be had for $30,900 (new) before the haggling starts
https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/camaro-sports-car/build-and-price/summary
1LE package
$4,500
  • Black hood wrap
  • Black front splitter
  • Black outside rearview mirrors
  • Black rear blade spoiler
  • Black 20" forged-aluminum wheels with 245/40ZR20 front and 275/35ZR20 rear, run-flat, summer-only tires1
  • Brembo® 4-piston front, 4-wheel antilock disc brakes
  • Performance suspension components (from Camaro SS) including dampers, rear cradle mounts, ball-jointed rear toe links and stabilizer bars
  • Heavy-duty cooling including engine oil cooler, dual outboard radiators and rear differential cooler
  • Limited-slip differential
  • Dual-mode exhaust when equipped with the 3.6L V6 engine
  • Suede-wrapped flat-bottom steering wheel and shift knob
  • RS badging, front grilles and lighting

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
going to the dealer tomorrow, other than that colour looks like it works
but being a cheap procrastinator I probably won't decide until after ski season.

Sponsor

Staff online