• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Folks,

If one was trying to put together a cheap trip using their Ikon pass and wanted to ski Copper, which town would you choose to stay in and why? I would like some place to après after the day but I have many friends in low places and like it that way. Would like to avoid the need for a rental car if possible. Any thoughts are appreciated. Looked into the slopeside but it is steep( pun intended) and not in the budget this time around. Thanks.

TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thinking of 12/12 -12/17 if that makes any difference.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi Folks,

If one was trying to put together a cheap trip using their Ikon pass and wanted to ski Copper, which town would you choose to stay in and why? I would like some place to après after the day but I have many friends in low places and like it that way. Would like to avoid the need for a rental car if possible. Any thoughts are appreciated. Looked into the slopeside but it is steep( pun intended) and not in the budget this time around. Thanks.

Frisco for sure.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Frisco is better. But either works. silverthorne is better with a car.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agree with the above. You can walk the main street in Frisco to bars, restaurants, etc.but not in Silverthorne/Dillon. And Frisco is a few miles closer to Copper. With a car, either is fine.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Frisco better than Silverthorne. But Silverthorne usually cheaper. 5 nights lodging in a studio at Copper is about $900 including taxes. Silverthorne hotel would be about half to 60% of that.

I used to stay at the hostel in Silverthorne (many) years ago, not sure if it's still in business

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
frisco is the way to go unless you are trying to go for the absolute cheapest route. FWIW, you need a car regardless. Part of the skiing experience is the Après and just getting out and seeing the town, Frisco offers the best of these things. Walking to dinner or breakfast or just getting out an stretching your legs and poking around in some shops is part of the experience.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, you need a car regardless.
There IS bus service from Frisco to Copper. I saw a few folks taking it a couple seasons ago. Not sure how much of a pain it is. Are there reasonable shuttles from DIA to Frisco?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I guess thats fine if there's shuttles to ABasin, Loveland & Breck too. Reasonable? I think they are pretty cheap, $65 plus tax But not having a car is a pain in the ass

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure what type of accommodations you are looking for and cost but have you checked Copper for those dates? Efficiency with a sleeper sofa is under $600 including all the crazy taxes that get added. A lock off "motel style" room is just over $600. Bus from Frisco transfer station to Copper is ok depending how close you stay to the transfer station. If you are in Silverthorne you need to take the bus from the transfer station to the transfer station in Frisco then to Copper. Again where your hotel would in relation to the transfer station will make it easy or a PITA. If you are using bus for après also I would go to the Summit County gov site and review bus transfer locations and routes.

How late you are looking for après? Might require a trip to Breck or Vail for later times.

Have you have checked this out? Might be a starting point.

https://www.coppercolorado.com/plan-your-trip/getting-here/how-to-get-here

TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Trying to do it on the cheap as I am planning a few other trips. If I have to rent a car either way, I would rather save on the room. If Frisco is the more ski townish of the two I think I would like that. Not a nightnowl by any means but like a good beer and a meal after skiing. Thanks for the information.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess thats fine if there's shuttles to ABasin, Loveland & Breck too. Reasonable? I think they are pretty cheap, $65 plus tax But not having a car is a pain in the ass

But Abasin, Loveland, and Breck are not on the Ikon pass which is the premise of the trip.

Reactions: Ron

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another vote for Frisco. Much more ski townish. Silverthorne is more parking lots and condos. There are a couple of cheap ski bum motels on the main street, the Frisco Lodge is good, and there are walkable condos a few blocks off the main. Last day eat breakfast at Butterhorn. Parking at Copper is easy but you will likely then bus to the slopes, then rent a basket or something. Maybe better is a good bus system to take you to Copper or the other resorts. Can't really go wrong. Enjoy. (PS. nice XC center across the main road next to the lake).

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
gotcha' so travel all this way and don't go to some fantastic places to ski all within 15-20 minutes? :)
People do it all the time. Generally the other way....show up check in at Breck, ski Breck for a week and never go anywhere else. I meet them all the time. At least this guy is choosing the best resort in Summit:snowball:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
gotcha' so travel all this way and don't go to some fantastic places to ski all within 15-20 minutes? :)

Also depends on how many days you have. I'm usually in Summit county just for a spring weekend, so 2 ski days. Last season I did one day each at Breck and LL. The year before I did 2 days at Copper. I don't know what the OP's trip is like - how long are you out there @Tytlynz64 ?

TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also depends on how many days you have. I'm usually in Summit county just for a spring weekend, so 2 ski days. Last season I did one day each at Breck and LL. The year before I did 2 days at Copper. I don't know what the OP's trip is like - how long are you out there @Tytlynz64 ?
Flying in Wed 12/12 leaving Monday 12/17. 4 days skiing.

Sponsor

Staff online