• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For four days, personally I'd prefer a car and to hit a couple different places. But I could definitely be happy "settling" for 4 days at Copper, depending on how much is open by then. (I'm an intermediate skier for the most part, so wouldn't be looking for the more extreme stuff. )

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Stop answering questions the OP didn't ask!

Frisco for the ambience, Silverthorne for the price. But if you don't have a car, Silverthorne would be a pain IMO.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely Frisco. Definitely a car (sorry).

• We've stayed at the cheaper hotels near the freeway (Baymont Inn and Suites for example) and the rooms there are perfectly OK. Walking distance to Whole Paycheck for eats. Then drive into town to splurge for après. ($116 per night)
  • I like the Frisco Lodge. Kinda old school but nice and good breakfast but pricier. But it is downtown so not a bad choice if you go carless. ($125 per night)
  • Have also stayed at the Hotel Frisco. It's cheaper ($99) per night, but funkier -- clean, just a bit threadbare. But also downtown.
One thing Silverthorne has going for it is a really nice Rec Center for swimming/hot tub/workout/sauna and cheap. But with a car, you can always go there too.

I'm sure there are other options. those are just the ones I know. Usually end up at Baymont because we're storm-chasing and don't plan ahead.

FWIW, I found the lodging slope-side at Copper to be expensive and not in great shape. (Haven't been in five years because of that, so YMMV today)

TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I took all info and recs under advisement. The final plan is done. Rent a car, 3 three days in aspen/Snowmass and a day at Copper on Sunday. Staying in Snowmass (good deal on lodge) wed -sat then sat/ sun in Silverthorne to save a few sheckles. Never been to either Aspen or Copper. Thanks for all the great info. :daffy:

TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW, if anybody is going to be in the neighborhood I would welcome the opportunity to meet up for a libation. I suck as a skier but I do have a good joke now and then and like to meet new folks.

TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW, if anybody is going to be in the neighborhood I would welcome the opportunity to meet up for a libation. I suck as a skier but I do have a good joke now and then and like to meet new folks.

TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oops thought it said draught guy....220 221 whatever it takes.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Pm me and I'll show you around Copper and show you the best spots for libations.

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
The Silver Inn at Silverthorne is where I stayed a couple of times.Clean quiet comfortable room 65 70 $

Check on tripadvisor if tempted elsewhere as some places in that area had multiple poor reviews

TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wanted to say thanks for all the good advice. I took most of it, and it paid off in spades. Flew into DIA on Wednesday morning rented a car and drove to Snowmass. They got 8 to 10 of fresh cold winter snow Wednesday night. Tasty leftovers on Friday. Bentured to Aspen on Saturday morning and it was fine for this time of year. A bit more crowded than Snowmass and a tad bit icier in spots, but fun. Oh at times on Thursday and Friday, I thought I missed the tsunami warnings as the place was seemingly empty. No lines.

Headed out around 2 stopped at the Woody Creek Tavern for lunch and a bit og homage on my way to Silverthorne. Hooked up with @UGASkiDawg for anfew turns at Copper. Thanks David for showing me the way up to the goods and more importantly showing me the way down. Wish I had more in the legs to hang with you longer, but enjoyed your company and your great mountain.

To all, you do an invaluable service with your tips and advice. Three new mountains, a welcome meet up with a Pug in the flesh, great beer, food and people all the way around. Keep it up folks! Oh and I now know why CSU’s mascot is the ram. He and his posse were chillin on the side of the road at the entrance to the Loveland pass tunnel! Epic!

Thanks,

Happy Holidays to all and tight lines whether your water is flowing or frozen.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wanted to say thanks for all the good advice. I took most of it, and it paid off in spades. Flew into DIA on Wednesday morning rented a car and drove to Snowmass. They got 8 to 10 of fresh cold winter snow Wednesday night. Tasty leftovers on Friday. Bentured to Aspen on Saturday morning and it was fine for this time of year. A bit more crowded than Snowmass and a tad bit icier in spots, but fun. Oh at times on Thursday and Friday, I thought I missed the tsunami warnings as the place was seemingly empty. No lines.

Yep, I have had that sensation more than once this year. "Did I miss the Rapture ...?"

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester

Headed out around 2 stopped at the Woody Creek Tavern for lunch and a bit og homage on my way to Silverthorne. Hooked up with @UGASkiDawg for anfew turns at Copper. Thanks David for showing me the way up to the goods and more importantly showing me the way down. Wish I had more in the legs to hang with you longer, but enjoyed your company and your great mountain.

To all, you do an invaluable service with your tips and advice. Three new mountains, a welcome meet up with a Pug in the flesh, great beer, food and people all the way around. Keep it up folks! Oh and I now know why CSU’s mascot is the ram. He and his posse were chillin on the side of the road at the entrance to the Loveland pass tunnel! Epic!

Thanks,

Happy Holidays to all and tight lines whether your water is flowing or frozen.
Great to meet you Joe! Look forward to our next chance to ski together!

Here's what happens when one of those Rams runs in front of you...:nono: Oliviascar.jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Thinking of changing our rental to the Summit Inn in Frisco instead of the Silver Inn Silverthorne. We'll have a car but I like the walkable aspect of Frisco. Comparable prices. I stayed in Frisco once years ago on my drive through Colorado and loved the town. Can't afford to stay at the Frisco Inn but this will at least get us in that cute little town. Plus it's closer to Copper :)

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Thinking of changing our rental to Frisco instead of Silverthorne. We'll have a car but I like the walkable aspect of Frisco.
If you aren't on (or within a block) Main St Frisco isn't very walkable either. If you are in one of the hotels near i70 the only place you can walk to is the walmart and Safeway.

Sponsor

Staff online