• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fish Out Of Water? You know you don't live in ski country when...

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see this a lot in New England. Usually it's a Patriots jersey but you'll see Jets and Giants just to piss off the "Massholes"(no offense to anyone from MA). :roflmao:

I find the further north you go in VT the less you see the jerseys. I couldn't believe how many I saw at Killington last year but I think I saw only one at Sugarbush. I personally think it's a ridiculous look.

Many Massholes deserve it!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I find the further north you go in VT the less you see the jerseys. I couldn't believe how many I saw at Killington last year but I think I saw only one at Sugarbush. I personally think it's a ridiculous look.

Many Massholes deserve it!
They all should be wearing Levis.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've seen a bunch of football jerseys in Pennsylvania - Steelers, Ravens, and Eagles.... and I've seen pics of quite a few in Colorado when Denver is in the playoffs.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Heck, I see a lot of jerseys in Utah. We don't have a pro football team and I am assuming a lot of it is visitors, but maybe more local people here than I think are wearing the jersey of their favorite team.

Maybe it's not as specific to one area, as much as it is a subset of skiers that for whatever reason thinks it's cool to ski with their Drew Brees Jersey on or what have you.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
College kids had a Jersey Tuesday thing going for a while, don't know if it's still around. But I started noticing an increased number on (what I thought were) random weekdays, and my kids informed me. One of the best tele skiers I ever saw was wearing a Roethlisberger jersey at Sunlight (of all places) the day of the divisional AFC playoff game the year the Broncos won the Super Bowl. I kept thinking he should have been at the game, not skiing, no wonder they lost.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
My experience is ,most people who wear ski shirts don't live near one. Same thing with a helmet or skis with resort stickers on them. 9 /10 they don't live near the resort.

Kind of like @KingGrump . You think that's the guy wearing the I heart NY t-shirt?

Edit: when I was a poor student living in NYC I pretty much exclusively wore those tourist shirts. Street vendors would sell them for like a dollar each and I worked out it was as cheap or even cheaper to wear those and discard them than pay for the laundry machine. But still.......
For all the "poor" ski bums living in ski country free shirts get handed at all the season kickoff parties like candy. Added 4 more t shirts to my way too large collection of ski swag last month. Ski Bum sign-up added another shirt to the pile. Some folks like me wear all this stuff rather then throw it out. Kind of like the Killington World Cup wear.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This is not quite in the same vein as everyone else's reply but here in the South the ski outfit of choice is Carhartt Camo.
I have seen that Camo ski outfit in PA.

Uncle-A

Skier
Your a fish out of water is the topic so I might as well add these:
1. You have to drive over an hour just to find a ski shop let alone a shop that is any good.
2. People think that your ski rack is a surf board rack.
3. I walked into a REI and asked where the ski department is and they say we don't have one.
4. Because the subject of tee shirt was talked about, years ago I had a LOOK tee and people would ask "at what". I would just reply the Rooster on the back. Every once in awhile someone would get it, most would not.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have seen that Camo ski outfit in PA.
Oh yeah... pretty common in Western PA an West Virginia. Lots of hunters around - the first day of school when deer hunting season started (the Monday after Thanksgving) would have quite a few kids missing class.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
The lone Outdoorsman, they are at most mom & pops.
20190323_114538.jpg

Uncle-A

Skier
I have seen a few camo ski wear at Stratton. They are more likely to be from Bogner and SOS than Carhartt.
They may be more common with snow boarding because I think Burton makes an outfit.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They may be more common with snow boarding because I think Burton makes an outfit.

Nah. The leave nothing much to the imagination fit tells me it's a Bogner.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Jerseys were a thing a few years ago especially with the terrain park set. If Glenn Plake rocks them they are skier approved. :thumb::thumb:. Don't think that clothes are really much of a tell in general, have met some really good skiers out for the day in their farmer Corhart onesies, they normally were farmers.

If you are in a place where folks are in flip-flops all year around, or Bermuda shorts are acceptable banker attire, it probably is not much of a skiing region.

Sponsor