• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fish Out Of Water? You know you don't live in ski country when...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You know you don't live in ski country when people ask what the roof box is for.. "Is that for fishing gear or golf clubs??

You wear a Spyder jacket or pullover at work and not a soul asks where you ski..

The tire shop asks you at least twice if you're SURE you want winter rated tires.. tells you "they're going to wear out fast around here.."

What else??

Last edited by a moderator:

James

Out There
Instructor
Haha. Can happen anywhere. One time we were at Stowe at the Trapp Family Lodge for Epic Ski Academy. We’re in the elevator with our skis. Door opens and a couple gets in, sees our skis and asks, “Oh, is there skiing around here?”

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When the forecast calls for a few inches of snow and they close the schools in anticipation of it. This is especially funny when it fails to actually snow, but who am I to argue with a free snow day:P

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
When you have to drive an hour or more to find a bootfitter... and 3 hours or more to find a good one.

(Not that I have this problem, thankfully.)
About 1:35 - but, yeah . . .

Anything over a quarter inch of snow and the entire metro area cancels school.
Every. Dang. Time.

When the forecast calls for a few inches of snow and they close the schools in anticipation of it. This is especially funny when it fails to actually snow, but who am I to argue with a free snow day:P
And this too. Bread and milk sell out in a panic. And I wonder - what is it about that? Do folks really love french toast or something? We buy beer, wine and liquor (and ice). Fill up the gas cans for the generators.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
About 1:35 - but, yeah . . .

Every. Dang. Time.

And this too. Bread and milk sell out in a panic. And I wonder - what is it about that? Do folks really love french toast or something? We buy beer, wine and liquor (and ice). Fill up the gas cans for the generators.
"Tonight's weather forecast, brought to you by Food Lion"... Coincidence? I think NOT!

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
In June, it's hot as hell driving north up Hwy 99 through California's flat-as-a-pancake central valley - heading north to Mt Hood to ski the Palmer glacier. Roof rack filled with skis, 'Subie packed to the gills with gear...

If I had a dollar for every "WTF are they doing?" look we got...

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Haha. Can happen anywhere. One time we were at Stowe at the Trapp Family Lodge for Epic Ski Academy. We’re in the elevator with our skis. Door opens and a couple gets in, sees our skis and asks, “Oh, is there skiing around here?”

There were countless classic encounters at the Trapp Lodge that year. I still remember trying to convince the Trapp’s to allow us to go skijoring in their yard. One of them was into it, but Papa Trapp shot us down.

Ah, memories.

James

Out There
Instructor
There were countless classic encounters at the Trapp Lodge that year. I still remember trying to convince the Trapp’s to allow us to go skijoring in their yard. One of them was into it, but Papa Trapp shot us down.

Ah, memories.
Yeah, in the “I can’t believe this is a hotel for skiing” vein... As I recall, Trapp had an incredible breakfast spread. Only prob was they started serving the hot stuff at 8am. Of course the lifts open at 8am and they’re 15-20 min away. Same with that afternoon cookies and coffee. They served it a 3:30. Lifts close at 4!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, in the “I can’t believe this is a hotel for skiing” vein... As I recall, Trapp had an incredible breakfast spread. Only prob was they started serving the hot stuff at 8am. Of course the lifts open at 8am and they’re 15-20 min away. Same with that afternoon cookies and coffee. They served it a 3:30. Lifts close at 4!
Don't you know? Proper, refined Stowe skiers only ski from 10 AM to 2 PM with a leisurely lunch in the middle. Anything else is gauche.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

8AM is for slackers... Lifts start spinning at 7:30 on the weekends. Along with not being "proper" or "refined", I am also a slacker. :cool:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
8AM is for slackers... Lifts start spinning at 7:30 on the weekends. Along with not being "proper" or "refined", I am also a slacker. :cool:
I feel like I got on the lift last year at Stowe before 8 AM. Guess I'm not a slacker. But I was also trying to get a couple of runs in ahead of the r#*n... even though I continued to ski through the r#*n.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

We have friends that wanted to stay at Trapp FL this winter/future .....I have never stayed there...but have heard good things from others..do u guys still recommend? Would like to hear what Pugs have to say about the place?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid