• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fish Out Of Water? You know you don't live in ski country when...

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
We have friends that wanted to stay at Trapp FL this winter/future .....I have never stayed there...but have heard good things from others..do u guys still recommend? Would like to hear what Pugs have to say about the place?

I've only stayed there once and that was 10, 15 years ago now. I remember the facilities are super nice; it's definitely one of the nicer properties in Stowe, and that's saying something. There are lots of cool pictures on the wall about the Trapps, the history of the family, etc.

It's not very close to anything; i.e., it's not in the village, it's not on Rt. 108 (aka, Mountain Road). If you're trying to get to the mountain "early" there are definitely more convenient options. If you're trying to get that "remote luxury country getaway" feeling, it's the best option.

Reactions: BC.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
If I wear my Snowbird t-shirt to work, my colleagues think I'm celebrating the "winter visitors."
:huh:

Tell them you are celebrating the winter visitors -- the snowflakes only visit in the winter. :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There were countless classic encounters at the Trapp Lodge that year. I still remember trying to convince the Trapp’s to allow us to go skijoring in their yard. One of them was into it, but Papa Trapp shot us down.

Ah, memories.
Yeah, in the “I can’t believe this is a hotel for skiing” vein... As I recall, Trapp had an incredible breakfast spread. Only prob was they started serving the hot stuff at 8am. Of course the lifts open at 8am and they’re 15-20 min away. Same with that afternoon cookies and coffee. They served it a 3:30. Lifts close at 4!

That was the year that we were all visiting in the bar. A guy came in and started playing the piano very loudly. It made it difficult for us to chat. Phil went to the bar to get another drink and asked the bartender if the piano player could "tone it down a bit." The Bartender said, "That's grandpa Von Trapp. We don't tend to tell him to tone it down."
Phil walked over to the piano and asked if he could play Charlie Brown Christmas... he did.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
In my younger days a friend and I were coming back from the mountains (the Tetons), ice axes strapped to our packs, when a lady on a horse, on a trail ride asked if we had been out hunting. In a national park. With an ice ax.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
In June, it's hot as hell driving north up Hwy 99 through California's flat-as-a-pancake central valley - heading north to Mt Hood to ski the Palmer glacier. Roof rack filled with skis, 'Subie packed to the gills with gear...

If I had a dollar for every "WTF are they doing?" look we got...
We're moving to Oregon. ♡

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That was the year that we were all visiting in the bar. A guy came in and started playing the piano very loudly. It made it difficult for us to chat. Phil went to the bar to get another drink and asked the bartender if the piano player could "tone it down a bit." The Bartender said, "That's grandpa Von Trapp. We don't tend to tell him to tone it down."
Phil walked over to the piano and asked if he could play Charlie Brown Christmas... he did.
Should have asked for My Favorite Things or other Sound of Music songs..

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Folks you have known for 30+ years, that you went skiing with back in the day, act shocked when they find out you are STILL skiing. They are STILL surfing so what's the shock about?
I know what you mean. The risk factor for surfing & skiing is roughly equivalent. The big snow snakes bite just as hard as the sharks. But, from my personal experience, I'd swear there's way more snow snakes than sharks.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've never lived outside of ski country during my skiing years. But, years ago when I worked downtown and a guy asked me where the cowboys were, I told him the town was a railroad and logging town and ski resort. And he wanted me to point out the ski resort. So I took him outside, and pointed at the ski area. And honest to God, he couldn't see it.
581.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've never lived outside of ski country during my skiing years. But, years ago when I worked downtown and a guy asked me where the cowboys were, I told him the town was a railroad and logging town and ski resort. And he wanted me to point out the ski resort. So I took him outside, and pointed at the ski area. And honest to God, he couldn't see it.
View attachment 86520
Wow. Both to the poor "blind" guy but also to the picture.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Wait... that sounds like a fish IN water scenario... 2 people with ski tshirts? Are you sure you're not living in ski country? ogsmile
My experience is ,most people who wear ski shirts don't live near one. Same thing with a helmet or skis with resort stickers on them. 9 /10 they don't live near the resort.

Kind of like @KingGrump . You think that's the guy wearing the I heart NY t-shirt?

Edit: when I was a poor student living in NYC I pretty much exclusively wore those tourist shirts. Street vendors would sell them for like a dollar each and I worked out it was as cheap or even cheaper to wear those and discard them than pay for the laundry machine. But still.......

Last edited:

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
My experience is ,most people who wear ski shirts don't live near one. Same thing with a helmet or skis with resort stickers on them. 9 /10 they don't live near the resort.
Guilty! I show off the out-west resort shirts back home. Don't wear them out there, that's as un-cool as wearing the Band's shirt at the Band's concert. How lame ;). Helmet stickers notwithstanding, can't do much about those, only got 1 helmet. I do like to wear NC skiing stuff out west though - occasionally starts a fun conversation. "Wait, you guys have skiing down there?!?" :D

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
So if you wear a ski shirt in ski country your a Jerry or you work there.

Sponsor

Staff online