• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fish Out Of Water? You know you don't live in ski country when...

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Naw,... It's more like the concert t-shirt OG rules. You don't wear a shirt advertising the same band that is playing unless that shirt is over 20 years old, and from a show you attended. If you're home mountain is X, it's fine to wear a shirt from Y as long as you actually went there and skied there. If it's a shirt with X, it has to be something really special, rare, like from a meltdown games there 20 years ago or whatever..

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
concert t-shirt OG rules. You don't wear a shirt advertising the same band that is playing unless that shirt is over 20 years old, and from a show you attended.
100% agree with this qualifier. I rock my 'Chris dye' from Chapel Hill, 1993 at all dead-related family shows. It gets washed on cold, delicate cycle, and re-cryovac'd for next time :D. Never found a better tie dye and don't expect to.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
100% agree with this qualifier. I rock my 'Chris dye' from Chapel Hill, 1993 at all dead-related family shows. It gets washed on cold, delicate cycle, and re-cryovac'd for next time :D. Never found a better tie dye and don't expect to.
I had one I made at the all day tailgate festivities at a Dead show in 1985 OKC for the longest time. I might still have it in a bin of old concert shirts too delicate to wear. Had a notion of framing them as man cave art but not there yet. I did find "reissue" versions of several of my OG concert shirts and some that I wasn't able to get at the show. I wear those instead of the really shreaded ones. As long as I was there it's all fair game IMHO..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm... for the ski shirt, I wasn't thinking of resort shirts. I was specifically thinking of my "Ski the East" shirt (https://www.skitheeast.net/) or something of that type ... I suspect most of those are purchased and worn by people in eastern ski areas.

I do have a few resort shirts... and yeah, I wouldn't expect to see them worn around that resort... but I WOULD expect them to be worn in ski country, in other places.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
In the "finding a kindred spirit" vein. When you see a bumper sticker that you have on your car or a bumper sticker for a place you want to go to.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
100% @Decreed_It :ogbiggrin: Conversation starter on the chair: Where’d you learn to ski? North Carolina. Wait what??:geek: Also, @crgildart & @Carolinacub
I learned to ski in Minnesota then spent college years skiing the Rockies and young adulthood skiing the Northeast. FWIW, NC has the highest lift served elevation skiing east of the Rockies and vertical a lot better than any midwestern bump.

So ya.. NC's pretty good when it's open. Season's are shorter here though..

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm... for the ski shirt, I wasn't thinking of resort shirts. I was specifically thinking of my "Ski the East" shirt (https://www.skitheeast.net/) or something of that type ... I suspect most of those are purchased and worn by people in eastern ski areas.

I do have a few resort shirts... and yeah, I wouldn't expect to see them worn around that resort... but I WOULD expect them to be worn in ski country, in other places.
When I was in college, it wasn't cool to wear clothes with your own college's logo when you were there. Always some other college (or not college-related at all).

That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
My experience is ,most people who wear ski shirts don't live near one. Same thing with a helmet or skis with resort stickers on them. 9 /10 they don't live near the resort.
My skis have had Whitefish stickers on them and I think many of my friends have them as well. We get them free at events.

And I've got a Big Mountain sweatshirt I wear, but that's a political statement if you live here. It produces lots of comments when I wear it.

Last edited:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier

I will confess that I have a couple of Utah resort t-shirts. I wear them exclusively in New Zealand though.

And to clarify, being a tourist doesn't make you uncool. Being uncool makes you uncool. As @Pat AKA mustski says, everyone is a tourist somewhere.

When I go to South America I stick out like a sore thumb. I could speak flawless Spanish and they'd still know I was a tourist. Every place has their local customs. And unfortunately for me, just because I live near some ski resorts and know some of the local customs doesn't make me inherently cool unfortunately.

Okay, so speaking of shirts, where is it the cool trend to wear football jerseys while skiing. I see enough people on the mountain doing it that I know it's cool somewhere, just don't know where. Not my thing, but I'm not judging either.

Edit: actually if I'm perfectly honest I do think the football jerseys thing looks a bit lame. But I know it's definitely cool somewhere as lots of people do it.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Okay, so speaking of shirts, where is it the cool trend to wear football jerseys while skiing. I see enough people on the mountain doing it that I know it's cool somewhere, just don't know where. Not my thing, but I'm not judging either.
I see this a lot in New England. Usually it's a Patriots jersey but you'll see Jets and Giants just to piss off the "Massholes"(no offense to anyone from MA). :roflmao:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

Edit: actually if I'm perfectly honest I do think the football jerseys thing looks a bit lame. But I know it's definitely cool somewhere as lots of people do it.
I saw this a lot in the NYC metro area. Only see it here when groups come here.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Naw,... It's more like the concert t-shirt OG rules. You don't wear a shirt advertising the same band that is playing unless that shirt is over 20 years old, and from a show you attended. If you're home mountain is X, it's fine to wear a shirt from Y as long as you actually went there and skied there. If it's a shirt with X, it has to be something really special, rare, like from a meltdown games there 20 years ago or whatever..
Been a long time since I've been to a rock concert but I have to admit when I was a teenager I'd buy the shirt and wear it over the shirt I wore to the concert. Seemed convenient to do and I had no idea I looked like a dweeb doing it :). But as I think about it, it does seem like an uncool thing to do

I actually think a lot of those iron maiden and other metal band shirts look cool to this day. Unfortunately for me, I don't think I could pull off wearing my Maiden shirts now but can't give them up either as I think they look cool.

And if I'm honest, I never could pull off wearing a Maiden shirt as a teen in the 80s either, but now I really can't pull it off

Sponsor