• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fish Out Of Water? You know you don't live in ski country when...

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Been a long time since I've been to a rock concert but I have to admit when I was a teenager I'd buy the shirt and wear it over the shirt I wore to the concert. Seemed convenient to do and I had no idea I looked like a dweeb doing it :). But as I think about it, it does seem like an uncool thing to do

I actually think a lot of those iron maiden and other metal band shirts look cool to this day. Unfortunately for me, I don't think I could pull off wearing my Maiden shirts now but can't give them up either as I think they look cool.

And if I'm honest, I never could pull off wearing a Maiden shirt as a teen in the 80s either, but now I really can't pull it off
My daughter wears my maiden shirt because it looks bad ass cool, as she listens to Panic at the Disco (roll eyes)

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday: You ask a guy about his Spyder pullover & he doesn’t ski or know it’s a ski brand. He just got it at Costco cause it looked cool. :roflmao:

Yeah, I bought some Orvis logo pullovers at Costco. People ask me if I'm a fly fisherman.

WxGuy

You are what you ski.
Skier
FWIW, NC has the highest lift served elevation skiing east of the Rockies and vertical a lot better than any midwestern bump.
As a guy who cut his teeth skiing Terry Peak, SD, I have to address the old canard above about skiing E. of the Rockies. Terry Peak– one of the high points in the Black Hills– is 7064 ft. ASL. (7100 ft on their web page) and has a bit shy of 1200 feet of lift-serviced terrain, extending nearly to the summit.

By Wikipedia's counting, North Carolina's highest point is 6684 ft.- several hundred feet lower than Terry Peak. So it seems that TP's web site claim is most probably true:
The summit of Terry Peak stands at 7,100 ft tall, with the highest lift serviced skiing between the Rockies and the Alps.

That being established– given its continental location– TP is probably not the best skiing between the Rockies and the Alps. I more or less grew up on the mountain and skied hundreds of days of minimal snow and lots of rocks. Did ski a 61" day there though, but there was almost no terrain that was steep enough to really ski it.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
As a guy who cut his teeth skiing Terry Peak, SD, I have to address the old canard above about skiing E. of the Rockies. Terry Peak– one of the high points in the Black Hills– is 7064 ft. ASL. (7100 ft on their web page) and has a bit shy of 1200 feet of lift-serviced terrain, extending nearly to the summit.

By Wikipedia's counting, North Carolina's highest point is 6684 ft.- several hundred feet lower than Terry Peak. So it seems that TP's web site claim is most probably true:

That being established– given its continental location– TP is probably not the best skiing between the Rockies and the Alps. I more or less grew up on the mountain and skied hundreds of days of minimal snow and lots of rocks. Did ski a 61" day there though, but there was almost no terrain that was steep enough to really ski it.
Weird, skied USSA Freestyle for three years, Central Division, home hill and team was Buck Hill MN, and never heard of that place. I'd love to check it out if ever out that way.

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
As a guy who cut his teeth skiing Terry Peak, SD,

I liked Terry Peak, best skiing I ever had in South Dakota. But it ain't no Huff Hills!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When the forecast calls for a few inches of snow and they close the schools in anticipation of it. This is especially funny when it fails to actually snow, but who am I to argue with a free snow day:P

THIS! As a former teacher, this was both awesome (a much needed day off) and infuriating (potential loss of a day from Spring break, when I had a ski trip planned).

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Edit: actually if I'm perfectly honest I do think the football jerseys thing looks a bit lame. But I know it's definitely cool somewhere as lots of people do it.

Its always cool to wear an All Blacks jersey......

The All Blacks are the most successful international men's rugby side of all-time with a winning percentage of 77.41% over 580 Tests (1903-2019). Since playing their first Test match in 1903, the All Blacks have amassed numerous accolades and are considered one of the most prolific teams across any sport.
[/QUOTE]

My fave rugby team. Got to see them in NZ many moons ago.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Pugski sticker on my car. Many ask if it’s the name of a ski shop.

Some time back, the assistant manager at the local Subaru dealer’s service department said, “Hey! Pugski! I’m a member!”
So we got to talk skiing.

When I pulled into the service department the other day, I heard, “So how many days you been out?“

Pugski stickers in non ski country help skiers find other skiers. :)

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Pugski stickers in non ski country help skiers find other skiers. :)
I've had at least 3 or 4 random people ask me now many dogs I have when I'm wearing a PugSki hat. Our Subaru dealer service folks sometimes ask where I got the fishing gear box on top. I definitely don't live in ski country.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
I liked Terry Peak, best skiing I ever had in South Dakota. But it ain't no Huff Hills!
there ain't much of anything like HH! ( In that hot spot of skiing adventures, North Dakota). When they opened a few years back was with several grandkids. Not much for snow. Some of the more adventurous ones where on some of the trails that had more leaf covering than snow. Tried to explain that it was snow skiing, not leaf riding-to little effect. After Huff Hills, TP seems like Jackson Hole!

Sponsor

Staff online