• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Driving a 'people mover' van in snowy road conditions.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
https://www.chrysler.com/pacifica/gallery.html
I'm planning for a trip next winter. Three couple coming from Australia for a ski road trip.
Does anyone have experience driving one of these type vehicles in snowy/icy road conditions? I will need six seats plus plenty of luggage room and these are much cheaper than one of the big SUVs. I'll be collecting the vehicle from Salt Lake City so I assume it will come equipped with M and S tyres at least.
I'm mindful I may not be able to drive it up the Cottonwood Canyons because of no 4wd but we could do the park and ride thing (which I've done before). I may have to drive over Teton Pass though.
Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My experience in SLC is that there isn't that much snow in town so much. It's only once you go up to the hills. So if you're willing to take the bus up you're probably ok. Keep in mind you may only have one bad driving day on a week.

TS
S

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
No, it won't come with snow tires. Would the driver(s) have significant experience driving in snow?

No significant but some experience. I remember one white knuckle drive on the Duffy Lake Road (between Whistler and Kamloops) that must be as bad as it gets.
I’d rather not repeat that.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
No, it won't come with snow tires. Would the driver(s) have significant experience driving in snow?
This is unfortunately true of American rentals, even 4WD--you're highly unlikely to get suitable tires for winter driving, so you'll need to plan accordingly.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Where will the road trip take you?

TS
S

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Where will the road trip take you?

SLC, Jackson, Big Sky and back.
By the sounds of the advice I’ll cough up the extra dough and get a 4wd thing.
I know I’ve certainly got M and S tyres previously when renting from SLC. When renting from LA or San Fran or even Reno I’ve not been so lucky.

GNARpts

Booting up
Skier
Look into Turo. Airbnb for cars. I don’t know if there would be restrictions on Australian drivers on the platform, but you’ll have better selection on vehicle types than with an agency. Pay attention to mileage limits! Some owners place limits, others don’t.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A minivad will hold 6...but not all of their gear, IMHO if you are looking to haul 6 and their gear, a full size SUV would be my suggestions, Suburban/Yukon XL/Expedition XL all are 4WD and will get as good as, if not better MPG than a minivan when loaded.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We have done a short road trip with 6 adults from Vail to Taos via Telluride and Durango back in 2010. Dodge FWD Caravan with good M&S tires. Needed the extra space. We have lots of experience driving in snow. No issues so long we paid attention where we are going. We have lots of experience driving in snow.

We drove out to W/B from NYC in Jan 2016. Dodge FWD Caravan with Blizzak WS80 snow tire. Again needed the extra space. Drove through several mountain passes during snow storms. No traction issues. Visibility issues, yes.

We have also done several trips with smaller SUV's. No traction issues but missed the extra space.

We are currently in the middle of a Ikon road trip with a Dodge AWD Caravan with Blzzak WS80 tires. No Thule pod. So far, Aspen, Taos, SLC, JH. Big Sky and Lake Louise/Sunshine. No issues so far. Best thing is don't have to think where we are going.

You should have no issues with a FWD Mini-van fitted with decent M&S tires. Just stay off the mountain passes when it is storming.

Like Phil said. You will not have enough room for all the gears in most vehicle. We usually have a Thule pod on top of the vehicle for the skis. Those will be difficult to come by on a rental.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug, that is a few too many steps to qualify for South Park Underwear Gnome status, but it's the weekend. We're giving it to you.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
SLC, Jackson, Big Sky and back.
By the sounds of the advice I’ll cough up the extra dough and get a 4wd thing.
I know I’ve certainly got M and S tyres previously when renting from SLC. When renting from LA or San Fran or even Reno I’ve not been so lucky.
We just did that loop for the gathering. We managed to have snow in SLC/Ogden, in the canyons, at JH and on the way to and from Big Sky about 6 out of 7 days we were there. There were 4 and sometimes 5 of us in the Yukon XL and it was stuffed between towns. It was fine running back and forth from the condo to Big Sky resort. I am glad, really glad, we had 4x4 with decent M&S tires. It would have been really sketchy with a FWD minivan with stock tires.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We just did that loop for the gathering. We managed to have snow in SLC/Ogden, in the canyons, at JH and on the way to and from Big Sky about 6 out of 7 days we were there. There were 4 and sometimes 5 of us in the Yukon XL and it was stuffed between towns. It was fine running back and forth from the condo to Big Sky resort. I am glad, really glad, we had 4x4 with decent M&S tires. It would have been really sketchy with a FWD minivan with stock tires.

About ten years ago, I drove my aging Dad's FWD Sienna with all-season tires over Teton Pass in a snowstorm, while he followed in our AWD version equipped with snow tires.

It was not enjoyable. I wouldn't do it for anybody else!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
https://www.chrysler.com/pacifica/gallery.html
I'm planning for a trip next winter. Three couple coming from Australia for a ski road trip.
Does anyone have experience driving one of these type vehicles in snowy/icy road conditions? I will need six seats plus plenty of luggage room and these are much cheaper than one of the big SUVs. I'll be collecting the vehicle from Salt Lake City so I assume it will come equipped with M and S tyres at least.
I'm mindful I may not be able to drive it up the Cottonwood Canyons because of no 4wd but we could do the park and ride thing (which I've done before). I may have to drive over Teton Pass though.
Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

https://awdrentals.com

and this https://reservations.ruggedrental.com/vehicles

Sponsor

Staff online