• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
when I have time I go, if someone else is or not.
but prefer company, in many places it's best to be more cautious while solo.

like the line about how well we all ski solo.
i don't even make up excuses after a bad run.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
I love to ski alone but unfortunately there are often other people on the mountain :cool: :daffy: Bill you really need to ski here:

Crowded day at Silver Mt. Idaho
IMG_0537.JPG
Crowded day at Lookout Pass Idaho

IMG_0510.JPG

Partner and My tracks. Skiing alone takes on a whole new meaning midweek up here.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I ski alone, yeah
With nobody else
I ski alone, yeah
With nobody else
You know when I ski alone
I prefer to be by myself

Every morning just before first run
I don't want no coffee or tea
Just me and good buddy Sal O’Mon
That's all I ever need
'Cause I ski alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I ski alone
I prefer to be by myself

The other night I laid sleeping
And I woke from a terrible dream
So I caught up my pal Deano Star
And his partner Ross Ingle
And we skied alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

The other day I got invited to a party
But I went backcountry instead
Just me and my pal Ray Klee
And his buddy Cass Lee
And we skied alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

My whole family done give up on me
And it makes me want some turns
The only one who will hang out with me
Is my dear old Bobbie Burns
And we ski alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself​
Original thread HERE.

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
I ski alone about 60% of the time. It suits me as I am big guy who skis old school GS style skis. My natural rhythm has me skiing faster with more sweeping turns Skiing with friends has me making tight turns and braking more than usual which I find to be harder on my old knees.

Don't do much off piste nowadays and never alone I helped on a tree well rescue a few years back he was skiing alone and was incredibly lucky that someone spotted his tracks ending in the hole.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.." - Blaise Pascal... :)

Put another way by a friend of mine: most people would rather have shock treatment than spend fifteen minutes in silence.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I frequently ski alone. I like the solitude and the quiet. Being able to stop or not without having to coordinate with someone else. Getting first, second and third tracks.
:daffy:

TS
VancitySkier127

VancitySkier127

Booting up
Skier
I ski alone, yeah
With nobody else
I ski alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

Now every morning just after breakfast
I don't want no coffee or tea
Just me and nice cold snow
That's all I ever need
'Cause I ski alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

That a song you came up with? :golfclap:

TS
VancitySkier127

VancitySkier127

Booting up
Skier
You are not married, right? :cool:

A lot of this depends on how old you are and where you are in life.
How old are you @VancitySkier127? If you're before your quarterlife crisis, you are always worried about what others are doing and FOMO, and you haven't fully formed your sense of self. Rather it's still seeing what your peers are doing. If you listen in on teenagers inane conversation or behaviors in the mall, a lot of it is to figure out what is the social norms, and vying to put together a common view of their world.
Around 30, people begin breaking off to truly do an independent life, and you can't get 6ppl to do what you want to do, then 4ppl, then not even 1 other person; you are either forced to do your own thing or not do it. Maybe others occasionally join you, but its 2 individual adults, not the peer groupthink of adolescent.

Nope I'm not married and I'm 22. I always like a buddy.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am lucky to have folks to ski with at several Eastern mountains. I ski better with others. But I don't hesitate to ski alone. Usually I meet someone or a group and ski with them when I am alone. I don't like to ski the woods by myself and many people like to meet new people on the hill and they are welcoming. Once you meet people they tend to remember you and often they are ready to share more adventure next time.

I am a legend in my own mind and there are some pretty good skiers. Humility can be a good thing.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I usually ski with friends in the morning and after they had enough of me I ski the afternoon by my self. I like one that posted don't go into trees alone and usually work on edging , turn shape, balance and general getting in better ski shape.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I ski alone, even when I'm skiing with others, but I like riding the lift with companions, old or new. :wave:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope I'm not married and I'm 22. I always like a buddy.

@VancitySkier127 you are exactly where you should be. Enjoy youth.

But check back in 10 to 15 years, I think your perspective may change.

Yep. I used to hate it when older people would say things like wait until you’re older but it’s true. As I got older I got a lot more comfortable with being alone. I moved back to Colorado in 2005 so I was in my late 20s. While I skied alone quite a bit then there were lots of things I wouldn’t do alone. Over the years that has changed and now there are few things that being alone will stop me from doing. There’s a comfort in your own skin that just comes with time.

Kiki

Dreams are the touchstones of our characters
Skier
I usually ski alone. I enjoy the company, for example when i am in a class, but i like to do my own thing.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, most of my skiing is with my wife, a lifelong skier that got me into it at 50. I can ski faster than her when I want, but she looks wayyyy better doing it with style. But she would never ski alone, while I've found it to be nice break since I have to play tour guide around Killington for her and visiting friends. She is navigationally challenged even with a GPS. And I can just go work on drills and repetitive runs on the same trail to lock in good movements that would bore her.

Gee guy, can't a boy do a little simple ribbing on the new year without someone taking it oh so serious. :beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online