• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
^^^^ same^^^

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Even if I'm with others on the drive up, on the lift, or even on the same run, I'm still skiing alone.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A lot of this depends on how old you are and where you are in life.
How old are you @VancitySkier127? If you're before your quarterlife crisis, you are always worried about what others are doing and FOMO, and you haven't fully formed your sense of self. Rather it's still seeing what your peers are doing. If you listen in on teenagers inane conversation or behaviors in the mall, a lot of it is to figure out what is the social norms, and vying to put together a common view of their world.
Around 30, people begin breaking off to truly do an independent life, and you can't get 6ppl to do what you want to do, then 4ppl, then not even 1 other person; you are either forced to do your own thing or not do it. Maybe others occasionally join you, but its 2 individual adults, not the peer groupthink of adolescent.

Last edited:

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
No one of sound mind would follow me.
IMG_20181231_160235156.jpg

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For me it’s not about choosing to ski alone over skiing with friends (most of the time) but rather that I love skiing so much that I will do it whether or not I have a friend to do it with on that particular day.
^^This. :beercheer:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You are not married, right? :cool:
Well, most of my skiing is with my wife, a lifelong skier that got me into it at 50. I can ski faster than her when I want, but she looks wayyyy better doing it with style. But she would never ski alone, while I've found it to be nice break since I have to play tour guide around Killington for her and visiting friends. She is navigationally challenged even with a GPS. And I can just go work on drills and repetitive runs on the same trail to lock in good movements that would bore her.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I used to ski alone quite a lot. Lately, I've tended to coordinate trips more consistently with friends with closely similar skiing styles/abilities so there's almost no standing around or herding-cats-style issues.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I do about 50 / 50. I like skiing by myself, working on drills or doing terrain that my wife doesn't care for. But I also enjoy skiing with her and appreciating what a lucky person I am at that particular moment. I'll be on the snow in a week or so...

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I prefer to ski alone as sometimes and in some spots I feel like skiing fast or slow and I don't really want to have to adapt to other skier's preferences or run choices.
I do prefer sharing a chairlift ride with friends or strangers except that most of the time, mid week, that is not possible.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I do quite a bit. Like golf, I go when I can go, company or not.

I am like this. I golf alone at times and I ski alone as well. When I ski alone I stick to terrain I know and may be a bit more conservative. I started doing it in college when I worked at a shop and could ski free. Many of my friends didn’t have the funds so I would usually blast up on Friday morning and be back for happy hour. I love being on the hill and am fine skiing by myself.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I only started skiing more than a couple of days a season about 4 years ago... mostly because before that, I was the one pushing my friends to go ski, and would only go when I could get someone to go with me. A few years ago I decided I'd rather try skiing by myself than wait until friends could go - and I found I liked skiing by myself. Now, I'd say I ski by myself about half the time, and the other half is with friends (several of which I've met here or on EpicSki) or at Gatherings... Even sometimes at Gatherings I've gone off on my own for an afternoon, to not have to worry about timing or sticking together, or run choice.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just like to ski, alone or with friends. At present I have a few friends who demonstrate appropriate dedication for being on snow. I reference this friend group as "A Crew" or "The Crew". As in, "The Crew is meeting in the Tram line at 8 AM". Typically one or more crew members show up. On good snow days we might get this:
imagejpeg_0_08.jpg

All said, I end up being one my own a lot so I ski 98% of the time with headphones in. (yea, sorry, I'm "that guy") ...but I'm never really alone. My DJ friends keep me company. Nicole Moudaber, Guy Gerber, Solomun, Tale of Us, the list goes on. If I didn't have the tunes, I'd estimate skiing alone would be 40% less enjoyable.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
When at a lift maze, consider all those people in the singles lines. The majority are not groups splitting up due to long lines in group lines but rather are actually skiing alone most of their days. Singles are more likely to be more experienced advanced skiers that at some point in their lives decided they would rather ski alone versus not skiing at all that often means going it alone even though most indeed prefer to ski as a group with compatible others.

Sponsor

Staff online