• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My 20yo daughter skied with me a day in Snowmass a couple weeks ago; a second day in Aspen wasn't working out with her schedule, so on her way back to Denver she stopped and skied alone at Copper. I don't think she had ever done that before, and I was really proud of her. (She just flew to Europe alone -- meeting people there, but flying alone -- a few weeks before that; I think she is growing up!)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My 20yo daughter skied with me a day in Snowmass a couple weeks ago; a second day in Aspen wasn't working out with her schedule, so on her way back to Denver she stopped and skied alone at Copper. I don't think she had ever done that before, and I was really proud of her. (She just flew to Europe alone -- meeting people there, but flying alone -- a few weeks before that; I think she is growing up!)

So fun to hear these stories of M! I can only imagine what it’s like as her mom but I think she’s got a lot of you in her that will continue to reveal itself as she gets older. She’s a good egg. (Go Pios!)

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
I think skiing alone allows one to really appreciate the art of skiing, and go to your limit, and nobody else's. All of my best (and worst) moments skiing have been alone. It's when I can really be at one with my skiing and the environment around me.

Plus you sometimes get a good person to chat to on the lift, a different perspective of the mountain is always interesting.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
My first three years back on skis had me getting over 40 days a year skiing alone and it was great. Last year and this i’ve felt like I’m being saddled by my snowboarding partner and friends so have decided even if we ride to the mountain together the first several hours will be on my own then we can meet up after that. My case may be different cause I ski and most everyone i know boards and because of that they don’t like steep runs, or not steep runs, or anything with trees, etc. They’re content accessing a fraction of the mountain and taking three sit down breaks each run while i am not.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My first three years back on skis had me getting over 40 days a year skiing alone and it was great. Last year and this i’ve felt like I’m being saddled by my snowboarding partner and friends so have decided even if we ride to the mountain together the first several hours will be on my own then we can meet up after that. My case may be different cause I ski and most everyone i know boards and because of that they don’t like steep runs, or not steep runs, or anything with trees, etc. They’re content accessing a fraction of the mountain and taking three sit down breaks each run while i am not.
The family we ski with the most is three boarders and one beginner skier (wife). The son and daughter have no problem riding top to bottom, at high speed, and on steep runs. I've seen the daughter fly by under the gondala on Cascade (groomed double black) at Killington and the son rides the black trees there regularly. We couldn't believe it at the time, but he went down Devil's Fiddle when there were plenty of rocks showing. The daughter (chemical engineer) now lives and works in France for the company she interned and boards in the Alps, but recently started skiing because of her French boyfriend. I've often ended up skiing with them because no one else could keep up. I think they slowed down for me.:roflmao:

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I will ski alone, but I prefer skiing with friends.

Friends on powder days are the best!

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Would ski with my kids all the time. But now that I have more free time on my hand (and they don't because they are married and have full-time jobs), I make numerous trips solo out to CO to ski by myself. Kind of miss not having my sons as ski buddies. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do ogsmile

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
I always ski alone, in my mind. Find my line, look for others downhill to miss, and ski my line. Then I ride up with others that happen to be with me! If there are no others, then I find a single, visit and repeat.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
I'd love to ski alone.. but there is usually other people at the resort. :huh::roflmao:

A few times a year now.. i get up early.. drive 3 hours to the hill.. ski what i want to ski, eat where i want to eat, ski some more and then drive home.. i'm thinking i need to move closer to ski country so i can ski not alone more often.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
First ski day this season was on the touring gear on TG day at the local hill. I love skinning alone. It's peaceful. Other than that, I ski alone, with others, with groups.... whatever the day or night before brings is fine.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I used to prefer to ski alone. But now, maybe because I've been skiing with students or kids that I coach for the past few years pretty consistently, I rarely do. I wonder if I'd still enjoy it.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've done it dozens of times, but I'd prefer to do it with someone else. When skiing solo I listen to music on the chairlift and/or try to ride the chair with someone else. Sometimes I prefer it to be honest but I'll at times get bored at our small midwest hills and feel the need to talk to someone, especially on the lift.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I ski alone at least 80% of the time. Mostly because the majority of my old ski buddies couldn't afford to ski with families and never returned to it. But with Vail charging 250% more than your mom & pops who can blame them?

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
When I'm not skiing in the Midwest I usually ski alone. My wife doesn't want to spend the money for a lift ticket anymore when we are visiting big resorts in CO, and our son is 20 so he kind of does his own thing.

It's easier skiing alone -- I can come and go as I please.

Recently I left home at 4:00 am - drove 5 hours to ski Buck Hill in MN - skied 5 hours - drove back home 5 hours all in the same day. Most people don't want to do that. :D

I just crank up the metal / punk music in the car and go. Did a turbo trip alone to Snowy Range in WY last week.

4XS

Booting up
Skier
I'll ski alone about 60-70% of the time.
I don't mind skiing alone or with company. There are advantages and disadvantages to both situations.

Sponsor

Staff online