• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did you know? (Random things in life)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The average adult human head weighs about 11lbs of which the brain comprises 3lbs. Of course the absence of a brain reduces the total to 8.;)
With out the brain that must be a politician's oh wait a Hollywood head.

Uncle-A

Skier
The play and the movie West Side Story was based on the story of Romeo and Juliet.

James

Out There
Instructor
-----------------------
Average Weight of Human Head

I couldn't find any references for this online, so I asked around my workplace (the Department of Anatomy & Histology, University of Sydney). The most convincing response came from the service room where the technical officers actually cut up the bodies:

"An adult human cadaver head cut off around vertebra C3, with no hair, weighs somewhere between 4.5 and 5 kg, constituting around 8% of the whole body mass."​
---------------------\
http://danny.oz.au/anthropology/notes/human-head-weight.html

So 9-11 lbs. Plus hair. And blood?

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
There is a website devoted to shoelaces. https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/index.htm

I learned a new way to tie shoelaces using Ian’s Secure Shoelace Knot. I haven’t had my shoes become untied accidentally for the year I’ve been using it. https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

Here’s a video of how to tie it:

Learned a much easier way to do the same thing 30 years ago from a 8 year old. In Ian's' words about "bunny around the tree knot", just take the bunny around the tree twice. Done. It really does work.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The diagram right at the end makes it clear -- that shoelace knot is a square knot with one side of it formed with loops instead of single strings. So it makes sense it will be well behaved.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The play and the movie West Side Story was based on the story of Romeo and Juliet.

Not that I've ever seen West Side Story but I assumed that was common knowledge

On a similar note

Sons of Anarchy - Hamlet
Clueless - Emma by Jane Austen
10 things I hate about you - Taming of the Shrew

More or less any middling rom com ever made - Pride & Prejudice

Uncle-A

Skier
Not that I've ever seen West Side Story but I assumed that was common knowledge

On a similar note

Sons of Anarchy - Hamlet
Clueless - Emma by Jane Austen
10 things I hate about you - Taming of the Shrew

More or less any middling rom com ever made - Pride & Prejudice
Common Knowledge for some may be something new for others. Knowing about West Side Story also means that you have reached a certain age.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Common Knowledge for some may be something new for others. Knowing about West Side Story also means that you have reached a certain age.

No doubt. Actually a liitle before my time but the Spielberg remake will make that redundant. But it is interesting that in the creative arts there are very few truly original themes and plots and largely it is a matter of what and how you borrow.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No doubt. Actually a liitle before my time but the Spielberg remake will make that redundant. But it is interesting that in the creative arts there are very few truly original themes and plots and largely it is a matter of what and how you borrow.

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone watching Cameroon - England?
A rare call of a pass back to the goalie, who's not allowed to pick it up. This leads to a free kick at the 6yd box with CAM on the goal line. Duggan blasted it in. 1-0 15min.

Edit- wrong thread! But did you know in soccer if you pass to the goal keeper they can't pick it up?

Last edited:

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Froot Loops are all the same flavor

$

Sure those sweetened O's are all different colors but that doesn't mean they are different flavors. Kellogg's, the company who makes them, has admitted that each Froot Loop is 'froot flavored' which they describe as 'a blend of fruit flavors.'

Sponsor

Staff online