• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did you know? (Random things in life)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The ratio between a mile and a light year is within 0.2% of the ratio between an inch and an "astronomical unit", or the average distance between the earth and the sun. Big deal, huh? Buuuut ... if you want an easy way to visualize how empty space is in terms of distances we call understand, it means that if we imagine the solar system to be shrunk so that the earth is an inch from the sun, each light year is a mile. That means that the closest star system (Proxima Centauri) is 4.2 miles away, and the brightest star, Sirius (off Orion's right foot) is 8.7 miles away.
I think there were a bunch of astronomical ones earlier in this thread... but I like this one... Which of these moons is the correct distance from the earth (properly to scale)?

Earth_Moon.jpg

C is correct

James

Out There
Instructor
I think there were a bunch of astronomical ones earlier in this thread... but I like this one... Which of these moons is the correct distance from the earth (properly to scale)?

View attachment 108302

C is correct
Well it’s roughly 20x the earth’s diameter. Is that b or c?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well it’s roughly 20x the earth’s diameter. Is that b or c?
It's actually almost 30 times the earth's diameter on average (~236,000 miles, compared to the earth's diameter of ~8000 miles)... which is C (as given in the spoiler under the picture). FWIW, the correct moon and earth are from an actual photo from a space probe (on its way to Mars)... I added the other two moons.

Another one I really like... did you know, this is an actual picture of the "dark side" of the moon and the earth?

1597795877664.png

James

Out There
Instructor
did you know, this is an actual picture of the "dark side" of the moon and the earth?
Ah I flailed using 12,000 miles for diam when it’s kilometers
Photo is enhanced/altered. It wouldn’t look like that I don’t think. Earth is too far away.
I suppose with a mega telephoto lens, and far from the moon, it could be.

58d04851112f70f2008b5783

GOES-16 Weather satellite, 2017.

57e3e5f7b0ef9764008b76ab

Apollo 8 photo, 1968.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Claymore76

Need for Speed
Skier
Did you know that you can keep most people sitting in a chair with just your thumb? Try it sometime- have a friend sit down on chair or couch, back straight. Put your thumb against their forehead. As long as they can't move their head forward and shift their center of mass, most people won't be able to get out of the chair.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you're talking about the photo I posted, no, it's not. It's taken from a million miles away.... here's more info, and a GIF of the transit:

dscovrepicmoontransitfull.gif
Pretty cool.
This one was from 31 million miles.

260625main_epoxi_2_HI.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty cool.
This one was from 31 million miles.

260625main_epoxi_2_HI.jpg

Awesome... Side note: Deep Impact included the first piece of hardware that I helped design that was in Space. It featured two of the processors that I worked on in the early 2000's. And one of which NASA destroyed (intentionally) when it rammed the "impactor" from Deep Impact into a comet at over 22,000 miles per hour.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's actually almost 30 times the earth's diameter on average (~236,000 miles, compared to the earth's diameter of ~8000 miles)... which is C (as given in the spoiler under the picture). FWIW, the correct moon and earth are from an actual photo from a space probe (on its way to Mars)... I added the other two moons.

Another one I really like... did you know, this is an actual picture of the "dark side" of the moon and the earth?

View attachment 108303
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark." - Roger Waters

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here's somehting I did not know until today.
It's definitely one of those things that make you go....hmmmmmm
Male giraffes will headbutt females in the bladder until they pee.
They then drink the urine, tasting it to determine whether the female is ovulating.

Giraffes.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
They then drink the urine, tasting it to determine whether the female is ovulating.

View attachment 141815
TMI is all I have to say about that.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Couldn't they just ask....:huh:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back in college I've seen weird pick up rituals and heard odd pick up lines, typically tossed out by bouncers but a few times lead out by police.

Most fun when the female would back hand the male

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
:geek: :hail:

Sponsor