• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did you know? (Random things in life)

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Not taught this in US History class?

64726566_2929668683885252_2789291438653833216_n.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Ancient sailors would say it is bad luck to whistle on board a ship. It is said that the person is whistling up the wind. In other words it would bring on a storm.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It was also said that someone of royal background wrote for Shakespeare.

A lot of scholars believe that Francis Bacon (classical essayist) actually wrote the plays. He and William Shakespeare were friends and the Shakespearean imagery is very similar to the language used by Bacon in his observations of nature. The theory holds that Bacon- of royal lineage- could not be found to be writing for theater because it was considered a very lowly occupation at the time. That and Shakepearean plays had a nasty habit of mocking royalty!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ancient sailors would say it is bad luck to whistle on board a ship. It is said that the person is whistling up the wind. In other words it would bring on a storm.

Yup. Lot's of sailing lingo immersed within our colloquial language. How many know where "three sheets to the wind" came from? Or the term "I gotta go hit the head"? In sailing, a rope that controls sails is called a sheet. On a large enough vessel that requires more than two sails there would be three sheets. If the sailor was semi drunk, he may let go of one sheet, not caring about the consequences. As he got drunker, he would let go of more sheets. Three sheets to the wind ( sheets flapping in the wind ) means the sailor is totally blotto and the boat is adrift. Hitting the head means: in larger sailing vessels of yore, there was often a carved bust of someone affixed to the bow of the ship. This someone had something to do with the name of the boat or a mythical figure to protect the boat, or something like that. This was called a figurehead. Once the boat was underway at sea and sails were set, most of the crew were aft of the bow, so when a sailor needed to take a crap, they were sent to the bow to do their business overboard. So hitting the head was about crapping on the figurehead. This may be common knowledge to those that have sailed, but I always find lot's of people that don't know where these terms come form, thus the post.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Must be where the Navy expression "only bosun mates and fools whistle" comes from.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
GE has invented a Smart Light Bulb that you can program and it has an app for your smart phone.
I don't have one, and don't know how fair it is, but making fun of this seems to be a thing. Apparently there is a 23 minute you-tube video on how to reset your light bulbs. I guess control-alt-delete doesn't work on them.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have one, and don't know how fair it is, but making fun of this seems to be a thing. Apparently there is a 23 minute you-tube video on how to reset your light bulbs. I guess control-alt-delete doesn't work on them.

Seems like it could inspire a whole new generation of "how many ..... lightbulb" jokes!

Uncle-A

Skier
Yup. Lot's of sailing lingo immersed within our colloquial language. How many know where "three sheets to the wind" came from? Or the term "I gotta go hit the head"? In sailing, a rope that controls sails is called a sheet. On a large enough vessel that requires more than two sails there would be three sheets. If the sailor was semi drunk, he may let go of one sheet, not caring about the consequences. As he got drunker, he would let go of more sheets. Three sheets to the wind ( sheets flapping in the wind ) means the sailor is totally blotto and the boat is adrift. Hitting the head means: in larger sailing vessels of yore, there was often a carved bust of someone affixed to the bow of the ship. This someone had something to do with the name of the boat or a mythical figure to protect the boat, or something like that. This was called a figurehead. Once the boat was underway at sea and sails were set, most of the crew were aft of the bow, so when a sailor needed to take a crap, they were sent to the bow to do their business overboard. So hitting the head was about crapping on the figurehead. This may be common knowledge to those that have sailed, but I always find lot's of people that don't know where these terms come form, thus the post.
The rest room on a boat is called a Head not sure if that is how it got it's name. It seems like the bow or the front of a boat would be a poor choice for the crew to relieve them self since that is the direction they are moving. It is like spitting in to the wind.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The rest room on a boat is called a Head not sure if that is how it got it's name. It seems like the bow or the front of a boat would be a poor choice for the crew to relieve them self since that is the direction they are moving. It is like spitting in to the wind.

Sail power drives a different wind. Sitting on a bowsprit is a good clean drop.

Uncle-A

Skier
Sail power drives a different wind. Sitting on a bowsprit is a good clean drop.
Is that always true, what is the wind position when a sailboat does a tack maneuver? Isn't that when it sails into the wind? That would not be a good clean drop.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Did you know...

My fellow countryman and Olympic Gold Medalist Maarten van der Weijden is to complete the almost 200 km 'Friese Elfstedentocht'. SWIMMING almost non-stop (a few hours of sleep and some stops to eat) since last Friday afternoon. He is expected to finish around 7 PM local time. With this major mental and physical accomplishment he raises money for cancer research (he was cured from cancer himself a few years befor he got his Olypic win at the 2008 Beijing Games - 10 K open water).
The 'Elf Steden tocht' is a round trip of about 200 km connecting the 11 cities in our province Friesland. This route is a speed skating event (on natural ice) that was last held in 1997. Since then, the ice was never thick enough to skate the race.

So now, Maarten has decided to swim it for charity.

The Dutch Public Television has a live youtube streaming (streaming non-stop from Friday onwards, nice work!):

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you know...
Ninety-five percent of the body of a jellyfish is water

I found that fun fact while researching how much water to drink.
Here

Sponsor