• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Demo Binding Choices

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe the Attack demo is only available in the 13

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
How does the Attack 11 compare to the Attack 13? With a DIN of 6.5 I don't need the higher range if I can get the same quality with the 11 model.

I also have a 6.5, and @Philpug pointed me toward the 13, I think because of more durable construction?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Referring to the 11 and the 13, they share the same toe, but the heel is where th difference is.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe 88 is the smallest brake, not 95

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Attack brakes fit very true to size -> when it says it's 88, it's 88.
Whereas the Griffon/Jester brakes seem to be a few mm more generous in their posted sizing.
Or it may be because of the differences in the mechanical action in how they each fold up.
The Attacks fold up snugger to the ski's edges, whereas the Markers fan out and in.
You can always bend the brake arms to add a few mm more room.

So on a Laser AX, you would "in theory" have 5mm on each side.
The 5mm is also not at ground level, but at least 3.5-4cm off the ground when it is folded up.
So it won't touch the snow when you lay the ski over, nor will it look visually oversized.

My experience with demo bindings is mostly on wider skis.
The 2 skinniest skis I had with demos were MX78 and MX88.
On both I preferred to ski them on the line. So other than BSL adjustment, the mount point change was not a requirement.
My "guess" is on a groomer/front-side ski, mounting on the line is where you would be at anyway.
On a wider ski, say 90+ where there may be more "creativity" in shape & flex, is where a change in mount point might be more noticeable / advantageous.

Phil or Others:
In your many travels, do you generally ski/mount front-side skis on the line ?
Or do you see that a +/- 1cm mount point provides noticeable changes too for that genre of ski ?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I tend to mount on they line, unless I hear otherwise. With a demo binding, it takes soem of that gray area out.

Dana McMaster

Booting up
Skier
I tend to mount on they line, unless I hear otherwise. With a demo binding, it takes soem of that gray area out.

I'm torn between the 2016 Rossi Axial 3 WTR and the 2016 Attack 13's for mounting on Laser AXs with DIN of 6.5. Any recommendations? Of course the Rossi's are a matching yellow color :yahoo:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm torn between the 2016 Rossi Axial 3 WTR and the 2016 Attack 13's for mounting on Laser AXs with DIN of 6.5. Any recommendations? Of course the Rossi's are a matching yellow color :yahoo:
I'd put on the Head race bindings, second choice the Axial3

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
Does the AAAtack 13 have upward/diagonal release, or is it lateral release only?
No upward release. I'm with you have had a strain and 1 patellals tendon tear from backwards falls on non diagonal toepieces. The marketing materials say yes on the Attack but in reality it's not true. Lateral release only. Stick with Tyrollias other bindings K12 etc or Marker griffon, duke etc all have 180 degree toe peice.

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
The Attack is easy to use and solid but IT DOES NOT HAVE A DIAGONAL TOE.
So for demos may not be a big deal but for those of use that have had knee injuries I dont buy any bindings without an upward release toe piece. It's not a guarantee but it helps. Since their are a host of industry peeps on this site I would say pressure tyrollia to redesign the tie piece with a true diagonal toe. Kinda shocked me for the sake of weight and connection they would go backwards on safety but here we are....and yes my most recent knee strain was from a fall on an Attack binding that failed to release in a backwards twisting fall.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wait, so, now that I've bought Attack 13s to replace all my Markers, you're telling me they're not as good?

/facepalm

The problem I had with Markers is that in many cases, with about four snowflakes, it was very difficult to get into the binding. In powder - ugh.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Wait, so, now that I've bought Attack 13s to replace all my Markers, you're telling me they're not as good?

/facepalm

The problem I had with Markers is that in many cases, with about four snowflakes, it was very difficult to get into the binding. In powder - ugh.

I have noticed that my Marker Griffons require a bit more pressure to get into but honestly I had no problems at Steamboat. Although come to think of it I never had a bad fall where the skis released so I just had to step in when coming out of the lodges but still there was a LOT of snow out there. I have them set at 9 DIN.

I did notice, compared to the demo bindings I have used, a better feel of the ski. Felt better connected and more in tune with the ski (maybe due to being lower). The demos also add quite a bit of weight.

I know Markers are hated in this forum but hey, I like em. How long will that last? Time will tell.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The attack are for sure easier to get in to. Just be careful the toe is lower than Markers Royal series binding.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The attack are for sure easier to get in to. Just be careful the toe is lower than Markers Royal series binding.

I haven't noticed any issues with that. I'd like to know if I'm sacrificing safety, although for me, Markers won't be an option any time soon. I've struggled with them too much, and stepping into even very easy bindings hurts right now.

Sponsor