• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Demo Binding Choices

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Does the Attack 12 have the same delta as the 13?

I'm not sure what you mean by delta. In doing my reading, they both have the metal heel plate - the primary difference is the DIN range and then of course, the color. Other than that, I think they are identical, from what I can tell. When I looked at the specs, they even weighed the same.

@Philpug - do you know how adjustment is available on the Attack 13s (non-demo)? Like if they are set up for a 266 BSL, how much wiggle room is there to go up? Would it accommodate 10-15mm? (I might get new boots in the next year or two and I know the Lange 22.5 shell is 276 - not that I will get Lange, but just want to know.)

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Toe & Heel pieces are on tracks and can move up and down independent of each other. Can't remember the range of motion, but it's close to +-2.5cm or more. That said, I usually just go up or down the same number of clicks on both pieces. I don't have a lot of experience w/ bindings, but I'm *really* happy w/ mine.

I've no clue about MNC compatibility.
Nice to know and that is plenty of movement :)........ MNC references boot compatibility w/ both WTR (backcountry) and Alpine boots

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm not sure what you mean by delta. In doing my reading, they both have the metal heel plate - the primary difference is the DIN range and then of course, the color. Other than that, I think they are identical, from what I can tell. When I looked at the specs, they even weighed the same.

delta : the vertical difference between the toe AFD height and the heel plate height. In your context, less is better.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

@Philpug - do you know how adjustment is available on the Attack 13s (non-demo)? Like if they are set up for a 266 BSL, how much wiggle room is there to go up? Would it accommodate 10-15mm? (I might get new boots in the next year or two and I know the Lange 22.5 shell is 276 - not that I will get Lange, but just want to know.)
Yes, the 12 and the 13 are the same, other than colors. And yes, there is enough travet to change BSL, but SOME of Langes 22.5's are 276mm, I believe the 100MM shells, the 97mm are 266mm.

Jonny D

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
No upward release. I'm with you have had a strain and 1 patellals tendon tear from backwards falls on non diagonal toepieces. The marketing materials say yes on the Attack but in reality it's not true. Lateral release only. Stick with Tyrollias other bindings K12 etc or Marker griffon, duke etc all have 180 degree toe peice.

Does anyone have an update for 2018 bindings? I'm tempted by the Tyrollias but have concerns about the lack of diagonal release - does anyone know if this has been sorted out in the 2018 lineup? If not, do any of the experts here have any suggestions for alternatives? I'm happy to spend a bit of money for quality and I'm going to be mounting them on some new Stockli Scale Delta's, but all the reviews question the suggested mounting point so I want the flexibility a demo binding will give.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does anyone have an update for 2018 bindings? I'm tempted by the Tyrollias but have concerns about the lack of diagonal release - does anyone know if this has been sorted out in the 2018 lineup? If not, do any of the experts here have any suggestions for alternatives? I'm happy to spend a bit of money for quality and I'm going to be mounting them on some new Stockli Scale Delta's, but all the reviews question the suggested mounting point so I want the flexibility a demo binding will give.
Here is a breakdown of the 2018 Tyrolia bindings.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

What concern is there on Tyrolia diagonal release?

Jonny D

Skier
The Attack is easy to use and solid but IT DOES NOT HAVE A DIAGONAL TOE.
So for demos may not be a big deal but for those of use that have had knee injuries I dont buy any bindings without an upward release toe piece. It's not a guarantee but it helps. Since their are a host of industry peeps on this site I would say pressure tyrollia to redesign the tie piece with a true diagonal toe. Kinda shocked me for the sake of weight and connection they would go backwards on safety but here we are....and yes my most recent knee strain was from a fall on an Attack binding that failed to release in a backwards twisting fall.

As copied above, Chris talked about them not having a proper diagonal toe release which, although I have no knee injuries, could be a concern. Philpug - thank you for the link, as a newbie to demo bindings would you say that the Attack 13 is still the demo binding of choice or is there anything else you're aware of in the 2018 lineup that I should consider? Also I'm not sure what you mean by "Brake no longer stays on plate", what does this mean, and how high is the stand height? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for helping...

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
As copied above, Chris talked about them not having a proper diagonal toe release which, although I have no knee injuries, could be a concern. Philpug - thank you for the link, as a newbie to demo bindings would you say that the Attack 13 is still the demo binding of choice or is there anything else you're aware of in the 2018 lineup that I should consider? Also I'm not sure what you mean by "Brake no longer stays on plate", what does this mean, and how high is the stand height? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for helping...

In the Tyrolia line the Attack is a premo demo binder.

But the Salomon Warden Demo binding is $$$ as well.

The Griffon Demo binding is also good, but compatible with less boots than the Attack or Warden.

Jonny D

Skier
In the Tyrolia line the Attack is a premo demo binder.

But the Salomon Warden Demo binding is $$$ as well.

The Griffon Demo binding is also good, but compatible with less boots than the Attack or Warden.

The Salomon definitely looks interesting - does anyone have any pro's & con's on this versus the Tyrolia Attack 13 demo?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The original demo design, the brake was integrated into the mounting plate which made it easier for travel. Stand height is about 32mm

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Salomon definitely looks interesting - does anyone have any pro's & con's on this versus the Tyrolia Attack 13 demo?
The Warden demo is a great option. No pluses or minuses over the Attack.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

The cons to both of them is that they are neigh impossible to find being sold retail. I've seen some non-MNC (i.e. not "AT" version) of the Attack demos being sold. The only time I've seen the Warden demo being sold retail it was $300. I can typically buy 3 good bindings for that price.

Jonny D

Skier
Out of interest is the Salomon the same as the Atomic Warden MNC 13 Demo?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The cons to both of them is that they are neigh impossible to find being sold retail. I've seen some non-MNC (i.e. not "AT" version) of the Attack demos being sold. The only time I've seen the Warden demo being sold retail it was $300. I can typically buy 3 good bindings for that price.
Correct, they are tough to find in shelves because they were never meant for retail purchasing but I think but with their increased popularity, we will see that change over time.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just ordered another set of Marker Shcizos on Steep & Cheap ......... too cheap to pass up! 14 Din......... 4th pair and no issues ....... Damn........ I sound like Chris from RI about the Kneebindings!!!! :huh:

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
concerns about the lack of diagonal release
Rail bindings like the Head/Tyrolia Powerrail PRD12 are easily adjustable for length and are said to be "full diagonal." Brakes are available in several widths. The PRD 12 MBS takes the three sole patterns: ISO: 5355A, 9523 WTR, 9523 Grip Walk

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
I recently bought a pair of used demo skis mounted with Warden 13 MNC bindings. I've been maintaining my own skis for as long as I've been skiing and have been comfortable adjusting bindings but I don't have much experience with demo bindings. I figurde they would be easier to adjust but I'm confused by the forward pressure adjustment. Other bindings I've used have a screw adjustment for forward pressure but this binding only has an indicator. There isn't a screw adjustment. I've checked the tech manual and it isn't much help. It tells you to check the forward pressure but not how to adjust it. All I can think of is that you can slide the heel and/or toe to adjust the forward pressure. I guess this works but seems a little crude compared to the fine tuning you can do with a screw in standard bindings. Am I missing something?

Sponsor

Staff online