• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Somewhere between 30% and 50% of my runs are at 70+ MPH.

That may be what your phone app says. But unless you're being independently gunned, and are on race stock downhill skis, on an injected surface, I'm gonna call B.S. on that one.

James

Out There
Instructor
The dude won the Hahnenkamm.
Just going fast isn't going to have people buying you a drink in Austria.

The world speed record is 158.424mph.
I'd be willing to bet Daron could do 85% of that on his first try. That's about 135mph. Given appropriate snow and wind conditions.
But, he'd probably tell you when you get near the top/best of any of these things it get's very difficult. It could take years of trying, waiting for the right window, to get near 155.

Meanwhile, have you seen this race on a 48 degree slope in the Alps? Even Daron thought this was kind of crazy. Jeremie Heitz, who skis very steep faces in the alps invited Rhalves for a race. This took over a month to pull off.

Daron: 26.44sec
Jeremie: 27.72

I wished they had focused on the line. Rhalves takes a line more down the hill, even though it's further from the gate and a wider turn. Heitz cuts under the gate closely, but heads across more. Still, very impressive.
You have to go to the full 23min version to see the timing.
https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/v...tu3iTHoPGvkON7-fgmcgKCsrEsLqtQAgdbT19R0veaGuo

sugarloafer

Booting up
Skier
That may be what your phone app says. But unless you're being independently gunned, and are on race stock downhill skis, on an injected surface, I'm gonna call B.S. on that one.

Actually, I don't ski with a phone app. My son does, and so does my son-in-law. When skiing with each this past winter, I tried each of theirs. Once the phone app said 65.9 and another occasion 67.8. Only two times I've used a phone app for speed. I know the apps aren't near 100% accurate. But those runs were not fast compared to many of my runs.

What you say is correct, to get an accurate measurement, being independently gunned is necessary. Next year the mountain is holding a top-to-bottom challenge. There will be independent gunners for that race. I will find out my true speed then.

I will say that I am certainly not trying to pass B.S. to anyone. My only point was that there is a tiny percent of the population - certainly well below 1% - that enjoys speed. It certainly seems to me that Rhalves is one of them.

sugarloafer

Booting up
Skier
The world speed record is 158.424mph.
I'd be willing to bet Daron could do 85% of that on his first try. That's about 135mph. Given appropriate snow and wind conditions.
But, he'd probably tell you when you get near the top/best of any of these things it get's very difficult. It could take years of trying, waiting for the right window, to get near 155.

Yes, very true. Simon Origone set the world record in 2006 at about 156mph. It wasn't until 8 years later that he beat his own record, going 157mph in 2014. It was 2016 when his brother, Ivan, topped it with the run of 158.424.

They train in a wind tunnel to develop the most aerodynamic tuck position possible.

No doubt, to get to the very of these things, one must have every single detail near perfect.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Actually, I don't ski with a phone app. My son does, and so does my son-in-law. When skiing with each this past winter, I tried each of theirs. Once the phone app said 65.9 and another occasion 67.8. Only two times I've used a phone app for speed. I know the apps aren't near 100% accurate. But those runs were not fast compared to many of my runs.

What you say is correct, to get an accurate measurement, being independently gunned is necessary. Next year the mountain is holding a top-to-bottom challenge. There will be independent gunners for that race. I will find out my true speed then.

I will say that I am certainly not trying to pass B.S. to anyone. My only point was that there is a tiny percent of the population - certainly well below 1% - that enjoys speed. It certainly seems to me that Rhalves is one of them.
You must be new to skiing forums:D; if you are Daron Rhalves and you make a skiing speed claim, folks might believe you, but for anyone else it goes like this:
Claimant: I skied X miles per hour.
Response: You only think you skied that fast; you were probably doing X/2 mph.
Claimant: Well my Garmin boasts a 1 second refresh rate and a 2 percent accuracy, and consistently has me doing X mph.
Response: probably a GPS echo or malfunction; I've had my GPS say I was doing 200 mph. Don't believe GPS or phone apps.
Claimant: My buddy radared me at Y miles per hour.
Response: Probably a badly calibrated radar unit.
Claimant: Well I was clocked at the XYZ citizen's race in a parka, skiing without a tuck, at X2 mph.
Response: You are full of s**t. Everybody knows it's not possible to ski that fast without a prepped course, racing skis prepared by professionals and a speed suit.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, very true. Simon Origone set the world record in 2006 at about 156mph. It wasn't until 8 years later that he beat his own record, going 157mph in 2014. It was 2016 when his brother, Ivan, topped it with the run of 158.424.

They train in a wind tunnel to develop the most aerodynamic tuck position possible.

No doubt, to get to the very of these things, one must have every single detail near perfect.

This episode of the Rancho webshow seems relevant here... a pro freestyle skier learning to do speed runs....

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You must be new to skiing forums:D; if you are Daron Rhalves and you make a skiing speed claim, folks might believe you, but for anyone else it goes like this:
Claimant: I skied X miles per hour.
Response: You only think you skied that fast; you were probably doing X/2 mph.
Claimant: Well my Garmin boasts a 1 second refresh rate and a 2 percent accuracy, and consistently has me doing X mph.
Response: probably a GPS echo or malfunction; I've had my GPS say I was doing 200 mph. Don't believe GPS or phone apps.
Claimant: My buddy radared me at Y miles per hour.
Response: Probably a badly calibrated radar unit.
Claimant: Well I was clocked at the XYZ citizen's race in a parka, skiing without a tuck, at X2 mph.
Response: You are full of s**t. Everybody knows it's not possible to ski that fast without a prepped course, racing skis prepared by professionals and a speed suit.

Ha! Nailed it... but sometimes the person making the claims is correct, and sometimes the responder is correct. There were a some folks on TGR in the responder category talking about needing a speed suit to do 70, until they started going out with radar guns on empty slopes and several people broke 70. It was a bit of a yearly event.

Haven't looked for those threads in a while, but I think the high-70's was about the highest anyone hit. 101 is crazy. Personally, I start to get nervous as I approach 50.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
100 mph is where you shift out of second and ride a slight wheelie as third pulls its way to 125...
When you shift into sixth at 160 and it is still pulling strong you know speed.
At 190 stuff is happening fast and it takes a mile to stop.
Anybody want to buy a LSR prepped Hayabusa?

View attachment 72580

So you really own one of those. If you're pulling 200 mph on public roads (re your later post) I'm going to say it's been nice reading your posts and we're going to miss you.:(

500 to 750cc, sporty standard

Makes a heap more sense. Something where you can crack the throttle to drive out of a corner without too much risk of being spat off.

Somewhere between 30% and 50% of my runs are at 70+ MPH.

Would you kindly advise which resort you ski at. With all respect I really, really don't want to ski on the same hill.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
So you really own one of those. If you're pulling 200 mph on public roads (re your later post) I'm going to say it's been nice reading your posts and we're going to miss you.:(

Well, not just any public road but there are places kinda like secret powder stashes.
"It is better to be shot out of a cannon than squeezed out of a tube" Hunter S Thompson
Hunter lived in Aspen, loved fast bikes and had his ashes shot out of a cannon at his funeral.

When you throw your leg over a hyperbike there are only three things that can happen.
1, You come home with an unerasable grin on you face.
2. You go to Jail.
3. You meet your maker.
What's not to like?
The bikes after 2000 did not come with a speedometer that goes to 220 mph.
The built in Valentine 1 is sometimes useful.
IMG_0860.JPG

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Like that Rancho video and the Snowbird contest shows is that it’s REALLY hard to get to 80mph on a resort groomer with regular clothing and equipment. I average “fast” carving on groomers at 45-50mph but only do those speeds on open runs with no one around.

I usually do a few “speed runs” on the local race hill with early morning with no one around, on fresh, even groomers with spotters and its easy to hit 60-70mph if you can stay in a tuck for long enough. You are typically reaching “terminal velocity” for most large resort runs even if you have the guts at around 75-80mph.(aka Snowbird) Smaller resorts you will max at 60-65mph even on the race hill.
I’ve only to the 80 mph range a few times in the last few years and it’s scary as hell even for someone used to hitting 60-70mph daily. 90 or 100mph is a WHOLE OTHER realm and even I think it’s insane and give huge props to those you can hit it safely.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Ha! Nailed it... but sometimes the person making the claims is correct, and sometimes the responder is correct. There were a some folks on TGR in the responder category talking about needing a speed suit to do 70, until they started going out with radar guns on empty slopes and several people broke 70. It was a bit of a yearly event.

Haven't looked for those threads in a while, but I think the high-70's was about the highest anyone hit. 101 is crazy. Personally, I start to get nervous as I approach 50.
Depends on the ski. 50 mph feels wicked fast on my Fischer 165 cm RC4 WC SCs, but my antique 208 cm Kästle SGs are just waking up at that speed.

James

Out There
Instructor
Would you kindly advise which resort you ski at. With all respect I really, really don't want to ski on the same hill
Sugarloaf. Not many there till Reggae Fest in April. By the time you get there, most have turned around saying "It can't be this far!"

How about going 87mph in 1867?
The skis are 12 ft long, but what are the boots and how are they attached? Just little leather things I imagine.
-----------------------------
The first recorded speed skiing record was in 1867 in La Porte, California by a woman with the provocative name of Lottie Joy, who traveled 48.9 mph/79.003 kph. The length of her run and the method of timing are unknown, making hers one of several unofficial but significant world speed skiing records. The second was also in La Porte by Tommy Todd who traveled down a 1230 foot track in an average speed of 87.7 mph/141.001kph in 1874. If Todd’s timing was anywhere near accurate, it is not unreasonable to speculate that he was traveling near 100 mph during that last part of his run.
--------------------------------
http://www.dickdorworth.com/2015/12/05/a-speed-skiing-history/

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on the ski. 50 mph feels wicked fast on my Fischer 165 cm RC4 WC SCs, but my antique 208 cm Kästle SGs are just waking up at that speed.

Good point. All of my fastest skiing has been on my 2017 Atomic Vantage 90s, 184cm length. Going that fast on my 170cm Laser SCs is probably not advisable for me.

Sponsor