Featured Daron Rahlves skis 101MPH

Discussion in 'General Skiing' started by Philpug, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

[​IMG]
    Disclaimer, only a professional with years of experience should try and match it. New personal speed record set ...101 MPH With three spotters (Thanks Boys!) and a clear run top to bottom progress was made on each run...94, 99, then 101MPH. Had the perfect combination of a long smooth run, fast spring snow and cloud coverage keeping the surface greasy. @atomicski SG #redster 210’s #atomicski #waxedbywend @wendwaxworks mid MF #meadowfoam #wendwax@girosnow #giroavance #weareskiing #checkthestats #101mph #speedrun#personalspeedrecord #sugarbowlresort #skiracing @ Sugar Bowl Resort. @Daron Rahlves

Swede, x10003q, wallyk and 4 others like this.
  2. Thread Starter
    TS
    Philpug

To the point of what a bad ass @Daron Rahlves is...he competed in the Virginia City Gran Prix this past weekend and finished third in the Pro Vet Class.

[​IMG]

From Daron's FB page:
    The start is on (Virginia City Nevada's) historic Main Street along side wooden walkways in front of old saloons, restaurants, candy and souvenir shops where it still feels like the Wild West. This 4hr plus race is a physical and mental challenge of pavement, double / single track, creek runs, rain ruts, nasty rock and dusty sections, downhill, hill climbs and this year two enduro sections in town. Lots of variety making it a fun, but a brutal race.

3. Eleeski

Eleeski Out on the slopes Skier

He's a decent waterskier as well. His dad is a past National champion I think.

Talented and a nice guy.

Eric

Philpug likes this.
  4. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

Was that 101mph on his phone app? ogwink

jmeb, crgildart, Mike King and 2 others like this.
  5. Thread Starter
    TS
    Philpug

I am sure he just counted off "one Mississippi...two Mississippi...". Seriously, knowing Daron this was a controlled environment with speed guns and/or proper timing.

Bobalooski likes this.

6. Thread Starter
    TS
    Philpug

Note: @bud heishman's son Chad finished 12th in the Pro Open class.

Bobalooski likes this.
  7. James

That's over 4 hours racing on a 2 or 4 stroke dirt bike?? Good god.

8. CalG

CalG Out on the slopes Skier

WoW Is it hereditary? Like some sort of birth defect?

Eleeski likes this.
  9. Thread Starter
    TS
    Philpug

He has been called that before. :hail::hail:

10. GregK

GregK Getting off the lift Skier

That’s awesome!!! Congrats!

Always joke that I have to hit triple digits in KM/hr at least one time per day for it to be a good day but that’s only 62mph. Sometimes terminal velocity at my smaller hills is 98 or 99 and I’m like “come on!” Haha
    I now hang my head in shame compared to your speeds!

Will someday buy DH skis and do some speed skiing on proper courses. Love speed!

Btw-my ski app has always been very accurate till this year when it’s been reading way low on tuck runs. Ski fast down a long groomer and see 50mph, tuck the same run all the way down and it says 30mph rather than the actual 70mph. Lol
    Works properly again after updates.

sugarloafer likes this.
  11. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    Or he needed the three spotters to warn him about that pass-pulling speed-limiting guy hiding in the bushes next to the fastest safest run on the mountain. :D
    Curious to know what run he was on.

12. Dakine

Dakine Out on the slopes Skier

100 mph is where you shift out of second and ride a slight wheelie as third pulls its way to 125...
    When you shift into sixth at 160 and it is still pulling strong you know speed.
    At 190 stuff is happening fast and it takes a mile to stop.
    Anybody want to buy a LSR prepped Hayabusa?

IMG_0856.JPG

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    trailtrimmer likes this.
  13. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    I want one, but I don't think that bike would be good for my health. My old bike was geared kinda low: into 2nd 80 kph, into third 120 kph, into fourth 150 kph, Into fifth 180, 220 kph trying to shift into 6th on a 5 speed. Not that fast, but it would reach red line in top gear before the end of the on-ramp.

14. Max Air

Max Air Booting up Skier

15. James

Well at Sugarbowl, on a trail, you have to turn.
    Yikes, 76mph on snowblades? He should've put the speedsuit on.

16. Thread Starter
    TS
    Philpug

By saying "No disrespect" does not give you a get out of jail free card to disrespect someone because thats the complete intent of preemting any comment like that. Speed records like the one you referenced were done on courses specifically designed for speed records. Knowing Daron's competitiveness, if Atomic gave him the backing to break the world record for speed, it would not surprise me if he did it. What Daron jsut did was ski over 100MPH in a resort. I am sure it was a controlled environment for safety such as race training is held on a closed course. I doubt anyone here, including the best racers would be able to get above 75MPH before their testies were up in their throat. Even in Daron's retired state, there is a bigger difference between the best "recreational" skiers and even racers and him than someone who never put skis on and those skiers.

x10003q likes this.
  17. sugarloafer

sugarloafer Booting up Skier

My absolutely favorite way to ski is fast. I only ski weekdays when the mountain is nearly deserted (impossible to ski fast safely when there are lots of skiers present). Somewhere between 30% and 50% of my runs are at 70+ MPH. I agree that for those people who don't live for speed (99% of the skiing population???), they would be going into panic mode at that speed. But for the very few like myself, I am very calm, relaxed and focused that that speed. I do it so much there is no adrenaline rush whatsoever. Just another normal day on the slopes.

18. trailtrimmer

trailtrimmer Stuck in the Flatlands Skier

Will you cover the insurance? :)

19. Dakine

Dakine Out on the slopes Skier

There are only two kinds of high speed riders, those who have crashed and those who are going to crash.
    Kinetic energy goes up with the square of the speed.
    Don't write checks you can't cash.

@trailtrimmer...
    Actually, it is cheap to insure.
    Insurance companies hate injuries but fatalities, not so much.
    My 2000 Busa is seriously for sale, really cheap.
    After 2000 m/c manufacturers put 188 mph speed limiters on all bikes.
    This is the last of the unlimited hyper bikes and Busas hold most of the LSR's in appropriate classes.
    I just couldn't believe how fast 200 mph on a motorcycle is until I was there.
    The bike is like a rock, the noise is incredible and the wind feels like it is trying to tear you apart.
    Real fun!

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  20. trailtrimmer

trailtrimmer Stuck in the Flatlands Skier

It's wayyyyy tempting, but I'll be looking for something a little more mundane for the summer. 500 to 750cc, sporty standard with room for an actual passenger.

Most of my brain would rather correctly toss and wrangle a bike with a quarter of the power, but sheer insanity does have it's merits. :)

And way to go Daron, 60 feels quick to me, 70 feels kinda crazy, I can't imagine 100+ :)