• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Actually, I don't ski with a phone app. My son does, and so does my son-in-law. When skiing with each this past winter, I tried each of theirs. Once the phone app said 65.9 and another occasion 67.8. Only two times I've used a phone app for speed. I know the apps aren't near 100% accurate. But those runs were not fast compared to many of my runs..

@Muleski - is this common? Is everyone @ the loaf skiing 70+ mph. I was thinking about bring the family up there next winter for a few relaxing days. But I’m having 2nd thoughts..

sugarloafer

Booting up
Skier
@Muleski - is this common? Is everyone @ the loaf skiing 70+ mph. I was thinking about bring the family up there next winter for a few relaxing days. But I’m having 2nd thoughts..

No, it definitely is NOT normal. Additonally, while I learned to ski at sugarloaf, love the moutain, the history, the double diamond trails, most of my speed runs were at a resort in NH that is only a 60 minute drive from home. The Loaf is about 140 minute drive from home.

Was at sugarloaf yesterday. Conditions were very less than ideal. Steady drizzle all day. deep corn snow to the point of being slushy goop. Visibility was horrible. No speed skiing yesterday.....

James

Out There
Instructor
No, it definitely is NOT normal. Additonally, while I learned to ski at sugarloaf, love the moutain, the history, the double diamond trails, most of my speed runs were at a resort in NH that is only a 60 minute drive from home. The Loaf is about 140 minute drive from home.

Was at sugarloaf yesterday. Conditions were very less than ideal. Steady drizzle all day. deep corn snow to the point of being slushy goop. Visibility was horrible. No speed skiing yesterday.....
Has Mittersill, NH gotten an fis rated super g course yet?
IMG_6407.JPG

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Has Mittersill, NH gotten an fis rated super g course yet?

Not that I'm aware of. I've only skied there once, and it was a windy day. Top part of the mountain was closed due to wind, and after 2 hours it got so bad they closed the entire mountain. That's where Bode Miller learned to ski as a youngster.

Mitersill has a FIS SG homologation for Baron's ...
https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/alpine-s...ologationlevel=&homologationcategory=&valid=1

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Mitersill has a FIS SG homologation for Baron's ...

For those unfamiliar with the term...
Homologation or “course approval” is an important aspect of developing venues in which U.S. Ski & Snowboard athletes can perform at their highest levels. All courses on which FIS and U.S. Ski & Snowboard alpine races are conducted must be homologated or ‘registered’. This process includes preparation of specific documents describing the course, a site visit and report by a recognized inspector, and payment of the applicable fees.
(from the site linked above)

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier

Then Which resorts are you, your son & son in-law skiing at these speeds?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well, not just any public road but there are places kinda like secret powder stashes.
"It is better to be shot out of a cannon than squeezed out of a tube" Hunter S Thompson
Hunter lived in Aspen, loved fast bikes and had his ashes shot out of a cannon at his funeral.

When you throw your leg over a hyperbike there are only three things that can happen.
1, You come home with an unerasable grin on you face.
2. You go to Jail.
3. You meet your maker.
What's not to like?
The bikes after 2000 did not come with a speedometer that goes to 220 mph.
The built in Valentine 1 is sometimes useful.
View attachment 72700

Back in my bike riding days I always sort out the winding bits. Nothing like laying it over side to side through a series of sweepers. Back then the bikes didn't have traction control and anti-lock braking. Found the straight bits not nearly as interesting - then again there's probably more tunnelling / star wars effect at 200 mph.

Stay cool.

James

Out There
Instructor
Then Which resorts are you, your son & son in-law skiing at these speeds?
I wouldn't worry about it. People like that aren't the ones you have to worry about. They can control direction and pick their spots for such activities. Straight lining yahoos who think they have a right to the trail are a threat.

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I wouldn't worry about it. People like that aren't the ones you have to worry about. They can control direction and pick their spots for such activities. Straight lining yahoos who think they have a tight to the trail are a threat.

It’s still a curiosity. There are some gapers up here, but not nearly as bad as So. Vermont.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just saw a few posts on TGR about the radar at Snowbird day. One person mentioned hitting a high of 73mph and another hit 82mph with 193cm skis with “fast snow and perfect conditions”.

So as I and others have mentioned in this thread, 60 mph is fast but not too hard to obtain, 70mph is getting more difficult to hit, 80mph is terminal velocity with regular ski outfits even at larger resorts in good conditions and 101mph is crazy fast still. Lol

skiii

Booting up
Skier
Disclaimer, only a professional with years of experience should try and match it. New personal speed record set ...101 MPH With three spotters

In about 1998 I was watching a TV special (perhaps Warren Miller but not sure) with bunch of friends at our ski share-house. On came a clip of skier breaking 100mph. The thing is, he had only one leg. This literally caused tears to stream down my face.
:micdrop:

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Well, not just any public road but there are places kinda like secret powder stashes.
"It is better to be shot out of a cannon than squeezed out of a tube" Hunter S Thompson
Hunter lived in Aspen, loved fast bikes and had his ashes shot out of a cannon at his funeral.

When you throw your leg over a hyperbike there are only three things that can happen.
1, You come home with an unerasable grin on you face.
2. You go to Jail.
3. You meet your maker.
What's not to like?

I actually have a buddy looking to sell his 1990 Kawasaki Tomcat, it's pretty tempting because the price is right, but the bike is 29 years old. 130ish HP though, and likely 160 MPH capable, and passenger pegs. Need a brake rotor and caliper rebuild, runs like a top though. Really, I'd love an FZ1. Power, comfort, plenty good handling and Yamaha reliability.

To keep some skiing content, 65+ MPH hits fast on old 191 GS skis, sweater and old school race pants. :)

James

Out There
Instructor
What's the Snow Blade record? 76mph I think. That's insane.

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
In my opinion as a DH competitor. If in the unlikely event that 50 mph was attained on SL skis on a public run turning to avoid a person or object would be extremely challenging.
In my experience FIS Slalom skis tend to bounce in turns at speeds beyond their intended performance envelope which doesn't go much past 40 mph. That performance envelope might extend to straight lining at 50 mph but not to effective evasive manoeuvring at that speed. IMO.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January