• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In my opinion as a DH competitor. If in the unlikely event that 50 mph was attained on SL skis on a public run turning to avoid a person or object would be extremely challenging.
In my experience FIS Slalom skis tend to bounce in turns at speeds beyond their intended performance envelope which doesn't go much past 40 mph. That performance envelope might extend to straight lining at 50 mph but not to effective evasive manoeuvring at that speed. IMO.
Oh sure... I don't think anyone was suggesting it should be done with anyone else around, or is entirely safe - just that it's possible.

I thought maybe you were saying it wasn't possible (which has become something of an internet meme - like it's impossible to go X speed under Y conditions). That's one thing that spawned those speed gun days at Snowbird from the TGR folks.

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
Oh sure... I don't think anyone was suggesting it should be done with anyone else around, or is entirely safe - just that it's possible.

I thought maybe you were saying it wasn't possible (which has become something of an internet meme - like it's impossible to go X speed under Y conditions). That's one thing that spawned those speed gun days at Snowbird from the TGR folks.
I have to say that I am very skeptical about most of the speed claims that I read here. I have DH skis and slippery suits and I train speed on closed courses. I know how difficult it is to reach the speeds that some posters claim as an every day occurence on their 165's. I'm not calling them liars I'm just saying that I don't believe it. If it makes you happy then it's your truth.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not calling them liars I'm just saying that I don't believe it.
Eh... that's the same thing.

A lot of speed claims are from apps which can certainly have their issues. They are also pretty accurate if they have a good GPS signal.

Earlier in the thread are some links to threads on TGR where they take a radar gun out and clock actual speeds. If you haven't read them, they're interesting.

They've been doing it for quite a few seasons now, and I think it started with someone claiming that you couldn't hit 70 without a speed suit. Since then quite a few folks have hit 70 in normal ski gear and several have hit 80. But this involves a lot of straight lining.

Personally do I think I've got 50 when my app says I did? Yeah sometimes but usually for short stretches. That's another issue... duration. Maybe someone straight lines a short steep pitch and hits 60. They may then say they did that run at 60, when they really averaged 30 or 40.

James

Out There
Instructor
I have to say that I am very skeptical about most of the speed claims that I read here. I have DH skis and slippery suits and I train speed on closed courses. I know how difficult it is to reach the speeds that some posters claim as an every day occurence on their 165's. I'm not calling them liars I'm just saying that I don't believe it. If it makes you happy then it's your truth.
How do you know how fast you're going?

I remember someone on epic was clocked at Wengen in the speed trap. (Which at that point is like a green trail) Mid 60's with a backpack.

I went throuh a radar trap a few times on slalom skis this winter in Switzerland. On slowish snow, not even much of a run in, 83kmh - 52.

Last edited:

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
How do you know how fast you're going?

I remember someone on epic was clocked at Wengen in the speed trap. (Which at that point is like a green trail) Mid 60's with a backpack.

I went throuh a radar trap a few times on slalom skis this winter in Switzerland. On slowish snow, not even much of a run in, 83kmh - 52.
That's an interesting anecdote about Wengen the WC downhill speed record was set there at just over 100mph a few seasons ago. While we're using the WC courses as an example of speed it's an interesting comparison to think that at the bottom of the finish schuss at Kitzbuhel which is a superhighway the best downhill racers in the world get up to 137 ish km per hour which is about 85mph. Yet here it seems reasonable that someone wearing a jacket and pants can surpass that speed on K2 Pontoons on a public run. Step up man the US ski team is looking for you.

James

Out There
Instructor
it's an interesting comparison to think that at the bottom of the finish schuss at Kitzbuhel which is a superhighway the best downhill racers in the world get up to 137 ish km per hour which is about 85mph. Yet here it seems reasonable that someone wearing a jacket and pants can surpass that speed on K2
Because any bozo can ski the Hahnenkamm. :rolleyes: You left out the final jump which has had some pretty bad crashes including Scott McCartney who went into seizues. Chad Fleischer going over 90mph and his tips heading to the sky.

There's no comparison.
You have no reasoning other than you don't generally race at those speeds. You have to turn in specific spots, totally different.

But, here's some official timed records for your skepticism.
85mph only for wcup downhill level skiers? How about 78mph switch, with duct taped pants and shirt. Full speed suit for 86mph, switch.
Snowblades in regular pants and a jacket- 76mph.

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
Eh... that's the same thing.

A lot of speed claims are from apps which can certainly have their issues. They are also pretty accurate if they have a good GPS signal.

Earlier in the thread are some links to threads on TGR where they take a radar gun out and clock actual speeds. If you haven't read them, they're interesting.

They've been doing it for quite a few seasons now, and I think it started with someone claiming that you couldn't hit 70 without a speed suit. Since then quite a few folks have hit 70 in normal ski gear and several have hit 80. But this involves a lot of straight lining.

Personally do I think I've got 50 when my app says I did? Yeah sometimes but usually for short stretches. That's another issue... duration. Maybe someone straight lines a short steep pitch and hits 60. They may then say they did that run at 60, when they really averaged 30 or 40.
If the person saying something actually believes it then it's not a lie. I can choose to believe or not but my choice to not believe doesn't make them a liar.

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
Because any bozo can ski the Hahnenkamm. :rolleyes: You left out the final jump which has had some pretty bad crashes including Scott McCartney who went into seizues. Chad Fleischer going over 90mph and his tips heading to the sky.

There's no comparison.
You have no reasoning other than you don't generally race at those speeds. You have to turn in specific spots, totally different.

But, here's some official timed records for your skepticism.
85mph only for wcup downhill level skiers? How about 78mph switch, with duct taped pants and shirt. Full speed suit for 86mph, switch.
Snowblades in regular pants and a jacket- 76mph.

A prepared speed skiing course is not a public run so your comparison is inappropriate. I used the finish schuss at Kitz as an example of world class skiers going straight down a steep hill and only attaining speeds equal to those claimed by citizens on public runs. I believe the source of these claims is inaccurate timing radar GPS phone app whatever.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A prepared speed skiing course is not a public run so your comparison is inappropriate. I used the finish schuss at Kitz as an example of world class skiers going straight down a steep hill and only attaining speeds equal to those claimed by citizens on public runs. I believe the source of these claims is inaccurate timing radar GPS phone app whatever.
Have you read some of the TGR threads?

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
Have you read some of the TGR threads?
Yes I have read the TGR stuff referred to in this thread. It is certainly posted by enthusiastic straight liners. I wish them and thier brothers and sisters on this forum all the best of luck and I hope that I never share a run with them while they are testing the limits of their phones GPS. I've no more to offer on this topic.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Because any bozo can ski the Hahnenkamm. :rolleyes:

I have asked @Daron Rahlves about this..he has said nothing in his professional career compares to skiing...and winning The Streif.

To the point of what a bad ass @Daron Rahlves is...he competed in the Virginia City Gran Prix this past weekend and finished third in the Pro Vet Class.

Dahron Rahlves is a badass.

We pretty much started the thread with this..and could end it with this. ;)

Remember when some here started doing MA on @Marcus Caston? HERE. Well, questioning Daron here is on par with that.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes I have read the TGR stuff referred to in this thread. It is certainly posted by enthusiastic straight liners. I wish them and thier brothers and sisters on this forum all the best of luck and I hope that I never share a run with them while they are testing the limits of their phones GPS. I've no more to offer on this topic.
I'm confused as to whether or not your point is that people can't actually ski that fast, or that they shouldn't.

Again, those TGR tests are done on empty slopes. Most folks here when talking about high speeds are in similar situations (I hope anyway - most seem to be when it's discussed) ... no one is suggesting that anyone does or should be doing anything dangerous with others on the slope.

Last edited:

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
I'm confused as to whether or not your point is that people can't actually ski that fast, or that they shouldn't.

Again, those TGR tests are done on empty slopes. Most folks here when talking about high speeds are in similar situations (I hope anyway - most seem to be when it's discussed) ... no one is suggesting that anyone does or should be doing anything dangerous with others on the slope.
I got the impression that most of the posters with the exception of those who mentioned the TGR radar run put their foot down and go 70 mph on (per Sugarloafer) public runs. But this is beside my point which is...that I don't believe that it's possible to go 70 mph while fully dressed on recreational skis. With the possible exception of trying on a prepared speed skiing course. I take as examples my own experiences and radar reported speed while wearing a speedsuit and DH skis on a closed course together with the top speeds attained by skiers equal in ability to Mr Rahlves that I've seen reported in world cup speed events. That's all... I doubt it is possible regardless of what their phone says.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
For those playing along at home, it's a lot easier to reach high speeds if you don't have to make the gates (but not safer).
Comparing straight down the fall line skiing speeds to DH events is the wrong comparison; line controls speed. Google Simone Origone for the proper official sport. Simone's record is 156.8 mph.

That being said, 70 mph is probably not attainable on many ski hills. In Ontario Canada on a marked run? No. Tremblant and nobody in way? Yes, but that's like, just my opinion, man.
A modern SL ski is very good at killing vibrations, even a one-step-down from FIS ski. It is a precision instrument in its design speed range, but despite the good damping abilities, precision at 20mph past that range, though much better than the old straight 200 cm sl skis, is crap. If you see someone in front of you while speeding on a sl and the hill is less than 100 feet wide, I advise you shut it down!

Last edited:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
If you jump out of an airplane with full gear on I expect you would get to 120-140 mph at least.
Put on a speed suit and tuck, you would probably terminal out at about 180.
Any run on skis would be slower.
70 mph on a glare ice black diamond seems pretty achievable to me.