• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comfort food - food you DO understand :-)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mac N Cheese in the dutch oven. While camping. With beer.

I used to make amazing biscuits and gravy, or SOS with canned chicken, but since moving to altitude and attempting numerous times, I canNOT get the biscuits to rise. :huh: Even following the directions from King Arthur flour doesn't work.

Send me a reminder next week and I’ll look in my granny’s recipe files for high altitude biscuits.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Send me a reminder next week and I’ll look in my granny’s recipe files for high altitude biscuits.
That would be awesome. I haven't made good biscuits in more than five years now, and it makes me sad.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shepherd's Pie. I've been rockin the shepherd's pie the past few months. Fall temps and winter weather bring out the jonesin for the baa baaa, and a good scotch.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve often wondered why Shepherd’s Pie was made with ground beef. Shouldn’t it be mutton?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That would be awesome. I haven't made good biscuits in more than five years now, and it makes me sad.

I found three versions in her recipe box. Thanks for giving me an excuse to dig through it again. She always kept ready copies of her recipe cards that she shared most often so she would be delighted to know e we are still passing on her recipes. I hope these help. One is for Denver elevation and one for 9,000 feet. One was my great grandmother’s who also lived in Denver. And a pic of just how full this box is. If you’re looking for other traditional recipes let me know!

2E3DB31D-77D3-4E3C-ADC0-2E14AC9127C1.jpeg
A361CD8F-8CBE-41A5-8023-124C7E077FCF.jpeg
0FB6EBD6-B277-4D2A-AC5E-635E49523A3F.jpeg
E762CD2C-6D33-4756-AE96-A895052C00F4.jpeg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve often wondered why Shepherd’s Pie was made with ground beef. Shouldn’t it be mutton?

Shepherd's pie is made with sheep. Whether it's lamb or mutton, doesn't matter. Cottage pie is made with ground beef.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
@coskigirl what a great box of recipes! I remember my mom had a similar one, I loved leafing through them. Now mine are all digital, easy to use but not as nostalgic for sure.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I found three versions in her recipe box. Thanks for giving me an excuse to dig through it again. She always kept ready copies of her recipe cards that she shared most often so she would be delighted to know e we are still passing on her recipes. I hope these help. One is for Denver elevation and one for 9,000 feet. One was my great grandmother’s who also lived in Denver. And a pic of just how full this box is. If you’re looking for other traditional recipes let me know!

View attachment 84442 View attachment 84443 View attachment 84444 View attachment 84445
Thank you! I also have a treasure trove of my Grandma's recipes--including the biscuits that were fool-proof until I moved to 5000 feet! I'll have to compare the two recipes to see if I can determine what's different. The biggest changes I'd seen doing some research was to decrease baking powder.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't had pastina in a long time and it looked a little different than that (Ronzoni), and I've never had it with eggs. How are those eggs cooked and still liquidy like that? That formagia make everything taste good.
When I cook the pastina, I let it absorb all of the water, as it is almost absorbed, I will mix the raw scrambed egg (and romano) in, wisk until the egg is cooked.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A great way to use up some leftovers.
A baked potato open and cut up or mash. A healthy dollop of sour cream. cover with creamed corn. Sprinkle a healthy (or unhealthy depending on your tastes) of pico de gallo, the spicy mexican seasoning salt. Nuke it and eat. A 3 minute meal if you have the leftovers in your fridge.

Last edited by a moderator:

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The recipe at seriouseats.com calls for lamb or beef. I used a 50/50 mix and it was about the best I've ever had.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
The recipe at seriouseats.com calls for lamb or beef. I used a 50/50 mix and it was about the best I've ever had.
That is indeed a very good recipe, but I recommend at least doubling or tripling the amount of Worcestershire sauce that it calls for. And should you have a leg of lamb with leftovers at some stage, grinding that and putting it in as the meat approaches winter culinary heaven ...

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Chicken parmesan, mac and cheese(made the right way with good cheese and lots of butter), baked ziti, lasagna, mole chicken enchiladas, mashed potatoes, I could go on but now I'm hungry.

Sponsor

Staff online