• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comfort food - food you DO understand :-)

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Minnesota: Aebleskiver*
Danish descent here. I have my grandmothers aeblskiver pan and use it once in a while but we went out and bought an electric one and it's wonderful. The rule as kids was you ate your age up to 12 years. BTW Racine WI is the big Danish community up in the great white north.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I learned how to make aebleskeevers volunteering at the Danish booth at a local street food fair. Hang on to the old pans, they're great and made to last.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting, spherical pancakes.

They look great. What do put on or in them/

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mac N Cheese in the dutch oven. While camping. With beer.

I used to make amazing biscuits and gravy, or SOS with canned chicken, but since moving to altitude and attempting numerous times, I canNOT get the biscuits to rise. :huh: Even following the directions from King Arthur flour doesn't work.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
The way we served aebleskeevers at the street fair was with raspberry sauce on top and powdered sugar. But there's a cookbook out that shows them stuffed with sweet or savory fillings and toppings. I have it somewhere... After messing up several pans' worth, I more or less got the technique--a quick flick of the wrist with the little skewer stick. Just like the video! :D

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Mac N Cheese in the dutch oven. While camping. With beer.

I used to make amazing biscuits and gravy, or SOS with canned chicken, but since moving to altitude and attempting numerous times, I canNOT get the biscuits to rise. :huh: Even following the directions from King Arthur flour doesn't work.

I don't know if they include a biscuit recipe, but have you checked out the cookbook 'pie in the sky' for high altitude baking? I've heard very good things about it, and it might have a solution to your biscuit problem!

Edited to add it does look like there is a chapter with biscuits, so maybe!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know if they include a biscuit recipe, but have you checked out the cookbook 'pie in the sky' for high altitude baking? I've heard very good things about it, and it might have a solution to your biscuit problem!

Edited to add it does look like there is a chapter with biscuits, so maybe!
I need to find that!

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
They look great. What do put on or in them/
Butter and syrup, or honey, sometimes sprinkle with powdered sugar sometimes sprinkle cinnamon sugar, sometimes we fill with blueberries or jam, never done a savory batch but might try that now. There are endless ways to play with these.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Costco (Kirkland brand) Meat Lasagna is a fave in our household. Doesn't make it more than a day or two on leftover rotation, and only then if somebody's not at the dinner table the night before for some reason.
Hmmmmm, I’ll have to look for that.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A fresh , warm baguette, with some fresh butter. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Sponsor

Staff online