• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comfort food - food you DO understand :-)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
To contrast the thread about regional stuff that is different (although I am game to try Poutine), here is something a little bit not different (to paraphrase Rocket J Squirrel).

I make my mac and cheese from scratch, beginning with a roux, heating the milk and adding the cheese, mustard and rosemary. I've gotten a little out of practice but have recently gotten my final product back up to snuff. It was mostly lack of attention that caused me problems; as soon as the cheese is thoroughly melted, take it off the heat.

IMG_20191101_192601199.jpg

Marty had baked up some bacon for this batch to make this a real heart plug. 1 pound of Pepper Jack (originally I wrote Cheddar), 1/4 stick of butter, over 1/2 pound of bacon. Mmmm.

What makes you smile and feel like you at home?

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Chicken and rice, chicken and dumplings, chicken noodle soup. Apparently for me it's chicken and carbs.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Scrambled egg sandwiches... usually something normal like on toast maybe with a little cheese or bacon... though sometimes on plain bread with Miracle Whip. A comfort food for me, and probably a food others don't understand.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Scrambled egg sandwiches... usually something normal like on toast maybe with a little cheese or bacon... though sometimes on plain bread with Miracle Whip. A comfort food for me, and probably a food others don't understand.
:thumb:

I fry my eggs (2) so the yolks are soft but not runny, melt a slice of provolone cheese on them and slather my multi grain toast with mayo. A great way to start the day.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
chili. Most any chili. The chili burger has been my go to road food since kindergarten.
If it isn't good put enough hot sauce on it and it won't be bad.

Ivar's clam chowder with red tabasco is becoming a contender though.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Seafood Congee.

You must be one of the rich folks.

We can only afford the plain congee with a bit of ginger.

Andrew loves congee. Got that from Grandma. We usually make a large pot (10 qt). Put it in soup containers and freeze them for him.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You must be one of the rich folks.

We can only afford the plain congee with a bit of ginger.

That also sounds good.

I used to have a local Chinese restaurant whose owners were Hakka, so there were some interesting variations on typical dishes.

Wait, I think I’m in the wrong thread.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Kraut with mashed potatoes/dumplings/spaetzle (basically kraut and a carb); green bean casserole

Sponsor

Staff online