• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comfort food - food you DO understand :-)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
My favorite comfort food is a bastardize version of poutine we now call "Vermont" poutine

The concept is still fries with cheese and gravy, but we use pulled pork+its gravy and Cabot Alpine cheddar. Greens and colorful veggies? we grow those but they have not place in this concoction.

My second favorite comfort food is any pasta. Homemade mac &cheese is one but I am snob on that one, so many people dont salt the pasta or over cook and its just plain gross then, I also never get the baked it afterwards.......but my favorite pasta is https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cacio-e-pepe

I make that once a month now.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Pretty much ALL of the above. Although a Begg and Acon roll with BBQ sauce is a cracker after an early round of golf or a morning in the bumps. It just has to be made with real bacon and not those thin strips of fat they sell as 'bacon' in Nth America - really, people need to be locked up over that.

On no account should a poutine ever be eaten by anybody anywhere.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
...My second favorite comfort food is any pasta. Homemade mac &cheese is one but I am snob on that one, so many people dont salt the pasta or over cook and its just plain gross then, I also never get the baked it afterwards.......but my favorite pasta is https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cacio-e-pepe

I make that once a month now.

I put that one in my recipe book. Yum. Thanks.

Last edited:
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Put that on the smoker with some panko breadcrumbs in butter on top for about 45 minutes and you got my attention:drool:
Marty got a smoker and I actually know what panko breadcrumbs are ;) so that is a possibility.

What becomes of the outside of the pan when it gets smoked? Should I reserve one specifically for smokin'?

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Marty got a smoker and I actually know what panko breadcrumbs are ;) so that is a possibility.

What becomes of the outside of the pan when it gets smoked? Should I reserve one specifically for smokin'?
I just use the glass casserole dish...it mostly washes off

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't come up with just one dish that is my favorite :huh: I like em all that's posted above :D

Tonight, after starving myself for the past few days to prep for a colonoscopy exam, I chose to make French roasted chicken ( it's basically whole small chicken--fryer size, with herbs ( thyme, rosemary) and garlic pushed inside and under the skin, then the chicken is trussed and roasted with onions at a high temp, 425, turned every 20 min. for 60 min. comes out delish and moist), so I guess that's a comfort food for me since that's what I craved after the exam.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
On no account should a poutine ever be eaten by anybody anywhere.

Geez... what is wrong with some people? :P I'd never had poutine before I went to Whistler... I didn't really know what it was and avoided it (I'd heard it described as fries with cottage cheese - which is a terrible, wrong description). Since then I seek it out - I've chosen restaurants on ski trips in New England purely on the basis of whether or not they have poutine.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I just use the glass casserole dish...it mostly washes off
I'll get a glass casserole. The 'mostly' washes off convinced me to dedicate one to the smoker.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was thinking the whole thread sounded like a good Gathering Potluck.
Or a trivia night at Broken Compass after Tuesdays In The Snow feast. They don't serve food so it is a BYOF establishment.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You can't use the acronym for Tuesdays In The Snow? :roflmao:
:philgoat:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^
Ha!! I never knew we had autocorrect on here. T.I.T.S. works, but if you leave out the periods it autocorrects... :)

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
When I used to travel a lot for business, the only thing I liked about it was sampling regional food specialties. Most of these are readily available everywhere, but somehow seem better when eaten in the regions famous for them. Particularly the first 2. These foods I get:

Texas: Smoked Brisket.

Carolina: Pulled pork.

South: Biscuits and gravy.

Northeast: Chowdah

Southwest: Huevos rancheros

Maryland: Crab cakes

Southern California: Fish tacos

Minnesota: Aebleskiver*

*I guess technically Denmark deserves the credit for this but I've only had it in Minnesota.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Geez... what is wrong with some people? :P I'd never had poutine before I went to Whistler... I didn't really know what it was and avoided it (I'd heard it described as fries with cottage cheese - which is a terrible, wrong description). Since then I seek it out - I've chosen restaurants on ski trips in New England purely on the basis of whether or not they have poutine.

Ye6pKWT.jpg

:eek:

Meanwhile in Australia, far from the snow...

No, me neither!

Sponsor