• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Oddly the Shedhorn lift update, which says the haul rope is being spliced this weekend, says while Liberty Bowl/Middle Road are closed Marx and Lenin are unaffected.
I think Marx and Lenin exit above Shedhorn lift allowing an easy exit while everything farther around the back required you to pole down Middle Road by the Yurt.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think Marx and Lenin exit above Shedhorn lift allowing an easy exit while everything farther around the back required you to pole down Middle Road by the Yurt.
Yes, both exit onto Duck Walk for a run above Swifty back to Powder Seeker. Lenin requires working to the left to cross above Sheddy.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
The cat track "Mule Skinner" isn't snowboard friendly and many visitors never make it to the area or even see the Dakota lift. The trail map doesn't do the area justice as it is big and full of stashes. The hanging valley is wide open with some long traverses to some fun steeps, some hike to spots and "shark's teeth" in spots between the gullies. Be careful coming out of the hanging valley not to get too low or you will have to go uphill to the lift. As you mentioned Dakota has glades galore and getting back to the lift is intuitive because of the cat tracks.

I expect Dakota to get more popular with the Sheddy double getting replaced by a HSQ.

Meanwhile, Big Sky says Dakota lift and area is now open. I assume that with Shedhorn still being worked on that means access is only via Liberty Bowl. But, man, I'll bet you could have the place nearly to yourself as a result.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Meanwhile, Big Sky says Dakota lift and area is now open. I assume that with Shedhorn still being worked on that means access is only via Liberty Bowl. But, man, I'll bet you could have the place nearly to yourself as a result.

Dakota is a warmer spot to ski on brisk mornings, but a chore to get to...

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
Dakota is a warmer spot to ski on brisk mornings, but a chore to get to...

Skied Liberty yesterday and it was a chunky slabby heavy mess. A true adventure to get down it. I’m sure it will improve as more skiers get in there. Lenin and Marx are firmer but very edgeabke and are both skiing really well - especially on the skier”s right shoulders. Marx is the best right now IMO.

THey also opened the Gullies but I haven’t skied them yet.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Liberty yesterday and it was a chunky slabby heavy mess. A true adventure to get down it. I’m sure it will improve as more skiers get in there. Lenin and Marx are firmer but very edgeabke and are both skiing really well - especially on the skier”s right shoulders. Marx is the best right now IMO.
Liberty sounds spicy!

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
The grand opening of the Ram Charger 8 (El Ocho) is on Saturday. It will be good to have Andesite Mt accessible for the season. Can Sheddy be far behind?

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just got an alert from Big Sky. The Ramcharger 8 opens Saturday. Good Lord, the thing looks like a 747. Are they serious?? I sincerely hope this is not the wave of the future. Makes me wish for the old Blackfoot double at Targhee or the old Porkies face double at Snow Basin. On line week day ticket prices at thier cheapest are 99 bucks and go up to 145 for the weekend after next. They say its cheaper than walkup prices! Bet there's is some severe cluster fu***s loading and unloading that thing.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Just got an alert from Big Sky. The Ramcharger 8 opens Saturday. Good Lord, the thing looks like a 747. Are they serious?? I sincerely hope this is not the wave of the future. Makes me wish for the old Blackfoot double at Targhee or the old Porkies face double at Snow Basin. On line week day ticket prices at thier cheapest are 99 bucks and go up to 145 for the weekend after next. They say its cheaper than walkup prices! Bet there's is some severe cluster fu***s loading and unloading that thing.

Other than the first day it is open and race weekends, I doubt you will ever see the seats filled. They were seldom filled last year with 4 seats. If it loads like Powder Seeker (pretty much the same type lift with two less seats) I don't see any issues, that is the slickest loading lift I have ever been on. Can't wait to see Andesite open.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Spent the day lapping powder seeker Sunday with full chairs just about every run - yes the snow was that good and the chairs that warm !
Not one problem loading or unloading

From People in the know .......
Ramcharger 8 is a one off.
Direct drive custom gear less motor with each chair weighing in at 3400# and a cost of 80k each, it will be like riding in a heated convertible limo with 7 of your buds.
Just like PS opening year, yes there will be hiccups and Doppelmayr will be on call or near by..
Now just waiting for news on the tram update to get up top quicker.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just got to BS and this is what I've learned:

* Overall snow conditions are better than this same time last year with significant snow in the forecast.
* Airlines added 35% more seats to Bozeman for the 18-19 season following a big increase in capacity for the 17-18 season.
* New Ramcharger 8 is said to be the most expensive lift ever installed in the USA. State of the art. Last generation lifts lasted 20-25 years. My thinking is it May seem like overkill now but will become the standard for major resorts over the next 5-10 years. iPhone xs users might like it more than flip phone users. ogsmile
* There were a lot of days last year when there were lines and general congestion at Ramcharger. The new chair should eliminate that line which frees up much needed space behind the Summit hotel. there was a time when lift tickets were cheap and lift lines were something folks would tolerate. I think that now that lift tickets run over $100 a day at every major resort the customer expects better. The cost of a lift ticket is only a small part of a vacation ski family's total cost. Lifts like Powderseeker and Ramcharger 8 provide them the opportunity for more skiing, warmer lift rides and less waiting. New gondolas at other resorts offer similar upgrades for those who want it. Many ski family breadwinners are more short of time than money. It's a value proposition for those vacation families who have more money than time.
* Ramcharger 8, like the Powderseeker will ride as quietly and smoothly as a car, but with more comfortable seating.
* Shedhorn Quad was completely reconditioned off site this summer and will probably be running in the next 10-15 days.
* Cow Flats (access to the back side) was significantly widened and recontoured to significantly improve access to the Shedhorn - Dakota area.
* A significant reworking of existing terrain will provide a second blue run for the additional intermediate skiers that are expected to seek the back country experience offered off Dakota and Shedhorn.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just got to BS and this is what I've learned:

* Overall snow conditions are better than this same time last year with significant snow in the forecast.
* Airlines added 35% more seats to Bozeman for the 18-19 season following a big increase in capacity for the 17-18 season.
* New Ramcharger 8 is said to be the most expensive lift ever installed in the USA. State of the art. Last generation lifts lasted 20-25 years. My thinking is it May seem like overkill now but will become the standard for major resorts over the next 5-10 years. iPhone xs users might like it more than flip phone users. ogsmile
* There were a lot of days last year when there were lines and general congestion at Ramcharger. The new chair should eliminate that line which frees up much needed space behind the Summit hotel. there was a time when lift tickets were cheap and lift lines were something folks would tolerate. I think that now that lift tickets run over $100 a day at every major resort the customer expects better. The cost of a lift ticket is only a small part of a vacation ski family's total cost. Lifts like Powderseeker and Ramcharger 8 provide them the opportunity for more skiing, warmer lift rides and less waiting. New gondolas at other resorts offer similar upgrades for those who want it. Many ski family breadwinners are more short of time than money. It's a value proposition for those vacation families who have more money than time.
* Ramcharger 8, like the Powderseeker will ride as quietly and smoothly as a car, but with more comfortable seating.
* Shedhorn Quad was completely reconditioned off site this summer and will probably be running in the next 10-15 days.
* Cow Flats (access to the back side) was significantly widened and recontoured to significantly improve access to the Shedhorn - Dakota area.
* A significant reworking of existing terrain will provide a second blue run for the additional intermediate skiers that are expected to seek the back country experience offered off Dakota and Shedhorn.

There are days I wish I had my Motorola razor back. And your point about more time than money is on point. I have not been to BS since the last year of the old Challenger double. Used to get over there quite a bit before the aquisition of Moonlight. Think I may have developed a bias toward few people and preserved snow. The world does move on.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hey @milkman - when you say cow flats was redone - how so? Just making sure skiers don’t have to pole uphill if they fail to carry speed off the drops?

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Cow Flats (2018-19) still starts with a right turn off of Lobo Meadows but quickly turn onto the new portion of Cow Flats. The skier angles off to skiers right above the Cow Flats Headwall so they start traversing the mtn at a higher elevation and hold that elevation at a more consistent pitch. You rejoin last years route near the Yellowstone chair that you pass on skiers left. Over 500 trees were cleared and a lot of soil was moved to open up the natural bench that ran diagonally across the mountain. Improvements include improved safety, more uniform pitch, wider road/run and improved intersection with Middle Road. Almost all of the polling is eliminated.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
About time. A year, six broken ribs and a broken collarbone too late for me.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Who is going to the grand opening of Ram Charger tomorrow? Rumor has it a TV network is supposed to cover the event. I will be missing the hoopla.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
The wife and I will be there. Can't wait. My favorite part of the resort.

Who is going to the grand opening of Ram Charger tomorrow? Rumor has it a TV network is supposed to cover the event. I will be missing the hoopla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online