• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Will you be holding up the "Pug Ski" banner for the TV cameras? Should be some fresh lines in the usual places.

Damn, didn’t plan ahead. I’ll have to hold up my ski with the Pugski sticker on it.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
GMA .... just a rumor, perhaps good morning Montana or maybe just channel 6 :roflmao:
Anyway, a beautiful bluebird day here for the christening.
Next to be built ? Hope not !

F2378437-1715-4EBE-A121-5B16ECE5FBEF.jpeg

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Watched the opening on FB. Adding gondolas next year, with dining tables - trying to figure that one out. Must throw those on in the evening, and let you eat while you go up and down. Unless it's super fast food.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Opened today as scheduled and 20 minutes later a little snafo had it down for a bit but back up and running soon after.
All I can say is it’s one big comfy couch !

In other big sky news today apparently 90+ mile an hour winds last night took pieces of the tram away but it to was back up and running by afternoon.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
30BE3EA4-043B-4E0D-9B1B-8BC34DE523AB.jpeg D80018A6-0DC7-4F63-96DC-F1AA5F898FBB.jpeg It is a really nice ride and really makes Swifty look old in comparison. There was about a ten minute stretch where both lifts were down yesterday morning. Congestion at the base was getting pretty bad so we went in to the Mountain Mall and bought me a new jacket wit our Boyne Rewards.

Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@SShore - that’s making the best of the situation
I also head about the dining gondola - a bit odd IMO.
Rumors and stories abound this weekend.
Best ones I heard...
RC 8 cost 80mill and Boyne actually leased the lift in a promotional deal with Doppelmayr ?

New Gondola to replace explorer / perhaps that’s the dining gondi,it will top out at base of powder seeker and new restaurant to be built there as well
Guess we’ll have to just hang here and see how this all plays out.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
The gondola, or any second lift for that matter, op to that area is greatly needed. Swifty is getting old in the tooth and when it is not running you can’t get from BS base to Madison base or any of the other lifts off of the peak.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
The gondola, or any second lift for that matter, op to that area is greatly needed. Swifty is getting old in the tooth and when it is not running you can’t get from BS base to Madison base or any of the other lifts off of the peak.
You are correct, two critical lifts at BS are Swifty and the Six Shooter both have had persistent issues and neither is slated for near term replacement. Not that my vote counts, but I would have replaced the Explorer lift with the RC 4 and run it higher on the mountain to where the "cross" is near the Powder Seeker. A gondola provides panache and families like them so I understand why BS has one in the plan, but they don't move many people.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
@SShore - that’s making the best of the situation
I also head about the dining gondola - a bit odd IMO.
Rumors and stories abound this weekend.
Best ones I heard...
RC 8 cost 80mill and Boyne actually leased the lift in a promotional deal with Doppelmayr ?

New Gondola to replace explorer / perhaps that’s the dining gondi,it will top out at base of powder seeker and new restaurant to be built there as well
Guess we’ll have to just hang here and see how this all plays out.

The lease would make some sense - probably Doppelmayr can provide better financing than the market, especially if they give promotional rates. I doubt BS would just pay cash money either way. I continue to believe that Big Sky put in the 8-seater in part because D gave them incentives to, in order to promote the whole idea of an 8 seaters.

Maybe the dining gondola is something that will be there for a year or two and then be moved to the Explorer replacement, which they make it sound like is next up in their plan before Swifty replacement. Hopefully next summer, but I'm guessing it will be a couple of summers off.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I'm heading to Big Sky for the first time this Friday (Dec 21st 2018) and will be skiing for 4 days. For anyone that was there over this past weekend, where do I want to avoid, conditions-wise? I'm not looking to ski any chutes, but have my eyes on The Bowl and the runs off of Shedhorn and Dakota. Are the trees off of Dakota skiing well or is the coverage still really thin in there? I really don't want to tear up the bottom of my Libertys that I'll be breaking out for the first time.

Also, my kid will no doubt want to head up Lone Peak to ski Liberty Bowl. How were the conditions on that this past weekend?

Thanks much

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
So I'm heading to Big Sky for the first time this Friday (Dec 21st 2018) and will be skiing for 4 days. For anyone that was there over this past weekend, where do I want to avoid, conditions-wise? I'm not looking to ski any chutes, but have my eyes on The Bowl and the runs off of Shedhorn and Dakota. Are the trees off of Dakota skiing well or is the coverage still really thin in there? I really don't want to tear up the bottom of my Libertys that I'll be breaking out for the first time.

Also, my kid will no doubt want to head up Lone Peak to ski Liberty Bowl. How were the conditions on that this past weekend?

Thanks much
The Shedhorn lift is not completed yet and don't know when it will open. The Dakota lift wasn't open when I was there this weekend but is open now. No idea what the conditions there are like. We haven't had any significant snow in a while and really need some.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't get how Dakota can be open and Shedhorn isn't. Looking at the map (granted, I've never been there and maps don't always give you the lay of the land) it looks like you can't get back to the frontside off of the Dakota lift?

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
So I may be flying into Bozeman but late. (and I'll be on EST). The resort is 70 minutes from airport and I take Gallatin gateway. Are there any hotels on that road??d, doesn't seem so. I won't want to drive 1 hr that eve after arriving, but OTOH I won't want to commute for the days I am skiing? Also, would be nice not to change hotels, is there a half measure?

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
So I may be flying into Bozeman but late. (and I'll be on EST). The resort is 70 minutes from airport and I take Gallatin gateway. Are there any hotels on that road??d, doesn't seem so. I won't want to drive 1 hr that eve after arriving, but OTOH I won't want to commute for the days I am skiing? Also, would be nice not to change hotels, is there a half measure?

Stay in one of the hotels in Belgrade - I think there's a holiday inn {express?} right near the airport. Get up early the first morning and go ski, and stay in hotel in Big Sky the remaining nights.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I don't get how Dakota can be open and Shedhorn isn't. Looking at the map (granted, I've never been there and maps don't always give you the lay of the land) it looks like you can't get back to the frontside off of the Dakota lift?

You have to ski down Liberty Bowl and then lap the Dakota lift. You can get back across on a cat track from the top of the Dakota lift via Screaming Left and Middle Road.

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
I guess this is a dumb question, but I'm thinking about pulling the Big Sky trigger for weekend of Jan 12/13. It looks good right? The mtn looks looks like it's in good shape for this time of the year, more snow is coming, and close to most of it should be open in 3.5 weeks from now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online