• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
It's dragging what few tradesman we have here in the Madison Valley away from here and up there too. It's getting almost impossible to get roofers, plumbers, electricians, ect. to do any work here. Why mess with small fish when you have big tuna in Big Sky.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’m hearing the new Gondi is going to go all the way up to the tram with a midstation at explorers current unloading area for access current beginner terrain.

Then...... upgraded or new tram may be in the works ?

That's what they're saying on Big Sky 2025 - sounds like a two-stage build for the gondola, however (although I don't know how efficient that is to build that way). Would think they might move the unload area for the midstation uphill a bit if feasible . . .

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
This place is wall to wall construction all summer - estimates are 1000 Construction trucks a day just to Yellowstone club alone.

“Build it they will come ? “ heck, you better get here soon.

Just need a recession to stop that . . .

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am guessing straight through, but going all the way around this summit structure may be too much for some guests.

From their Facebook page it seems like the big building will be the car barn - looks like the unload area will be between the barn and Everett's. But you're on site - let us know!

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
From their Facebook page it seems like the big building will be the car barn - looks like the unload area will be between the barn and Everett's. But you're on site - let us know!
There are a bunch of fences and signs that prevent getting close enough to see the unload area.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here's a Facebook photo overhead - seems to be the top tower and station between chair barn and Everett's, but could be imagining:

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I missed the foundation for the top station completely with the marmots eye view coming from the top of Thunderwolf.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We poured our house foundation this week :yahoo:

One of our concrete foreman’s is working on the pour for the top of the 8 pack and a pour up at the tram base as well. Crew got snowed on in the August “ flurries” earlier in the week.

Way he was talking it’s the top house of gondi slated for next year.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My intel is that explorer chair will be replaced next, with a new gondi. The new lift will have a midstation at the current explorer unloading area and then top out near the base of the tram / top of powder seeker.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing that confuses me: Big Sky has a reputation for acres per skier, rather than skiers per acre, with minimal lift lines. I can understand upgrading old fixed grip doubles and triples to express quads, but do they really need 6-packs and 8-pack chairs? Is there typically a crush of traffic at the base at certain times? A gondola I could see simply due to cold weather at that latitude and elevation, plus 4-season sightseeing and activities.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing that confuses me: Big Sky has a reputation for acres per skier, rather than skiers per acre, with minimal lift lines. I can understand upgrading old fixed grip doubles and triples to express quads, but do they really need 6-packs and 8-pack chairs? Is there typically a crush of traffic at the base at certain times? A gondola I could see simply due to cold weather at that latitude and elevation, plus 4-season sightseeing and activities.

I've heard the same, and can only assume that between upgraded lifts and plans to expand/improve the village, they're hoping for a lot more crowds too.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier

While the lift lines aren’t that bad, the congestion at the base area can be. On race weekends the line on ramcharger can get pretty long. The 8 pack will help that and moving the bottom of the lift uphill a ways will help the congestion. Plus, replacing the slow, cold Shedhorn lift with the old Ramcharger will really help that under utilized area. At the same time it will put more pressure on Swiftcurrent as that is the only way to get to Shedhorn. The new gondola will help that situation as well as being a huge boon to the beginners and people staying in the housing using the explorer terrain. That lift is SLOW.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier

My own supposition is that Doppelmyer offered Big Sky the opportunity to "upgrade" to the 8-place lift as sort of a promo for the chair - otherwise it would have been six-place. One thing to note - the PowderSeeker 6 didn't markedly improve uphill capacity to the Bowl - there are fewer chairs with more spacing than the old triple. the benefit (other than heated seats if they work) is the ride is 3 minutes instead of 9. Don't know the figures for the new Ramcharger, but it wouldn't surprise me if the figures are similar.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The guys in food and beverage seem to think the new 8 pack heated / bubble is all about Everett’s 8800 and increasing after hours traffic for dinner.
The novelty runs out and numbness start to set in after about 2:30 minute ride after dark in February.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
The guys in food and beverage seem to think the new 8 pack heated / bubble is all about Everett’s 8800 and increasing after hours traffic for dinner.
The novelty runs out and numbness start to set in after about 2:30 minute ride after dark in February.

I can sort of see that, but what's the capacity of Everett's for dinner? I would think you could get every diner up there with about 20 chairs (40 on the old lift). If they want to increase traffic they should drop the charge for riding up without reservations.

The plan for night skiing might also have something to do with it, although again why 8 vs. 6 (assuming bubble and heated, which is the way they're all going).

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
6 vs 8 ... big sky seems to go big !
Any of the 8 packs I’ve been on in Europe were a hoot.
Between dinner, night skiing and morning congestion... the whopping 5 minuet wait, they will have all bases covered.
Can’t wait for explorer change out. Heard yesterday the new gondi will top out at the bottom of powder seeker.
Some comp lift tickets yesterday offered up some sweet mellow mtn biking

255C73F7-1BCD-497E-9294-182354440601.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Awesome... can't wait to see it in white. Trying to get my bearings for the Gathering... that's the Explorer lift, right?

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@dbostedo .... you are correct !

Although a nice leisurely ride in the summer for those of us who suck at mountain biking It is soooo slow in winter as first time lift riders get to experience “ the unloading ZONE !! “

It’s rhe oldest lift at big sky and to be avoided at all cost if possible until the gondi replaces it.
Then again if you want to experience a slow and painful death, by all means, have at it !

My recommendation, High speed quads up and out of the base

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
@dbostedo .... you are correct !

Although a nice leisurely ride in the summer for those of us who suck at mountain biking It is soooo slow in winter as first time lift riders get to experience “ the unloading ZONE !! “

It’s rhe oldest lift at big sky and to be avoided at all cost if possible until the gondi replaces it.
Then again if you want to experience a slow and painful death, by all means, have at it !

My recommendation, High speed quads up and out of the base

Yep - Explorer's sole purpose best I can tell is for very beginning skiers to access some beginner terrain, that might be more difficult to access via Swiftcurrent. And perhaps for real estate access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online