• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, Swifty definitely should be more of a priority.

I suspect the 8-place is a promotional effort by Dopplemayr - wouldn't surprise me if Big Sky originally planned a 6-place and DM said "we'd love to introduce this 8-place product in US"

My concern is Swifty may not make another 3 years with the reoccurring drive issues. To be fair this past Xmas week Swifty didn't have to run on diesel for a change, but the lift like Ram Charger runs all summer.

I wonder how an 8 pack will handle the cross wind near the summit of Andesite? Since I rely on the Ram charger to get home without a hike or giving my skis a Wyoming base grind on Low Dog road, a wind resistant up grade is welcome.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
8-pack? And who's gonna ride it?? I was there Presidents weekend (admittedly it was COLD) and there was no one there. I never waited and lots of time skied onto a series of empty chairs.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
8-pack? And who's gonna ride it?? I was there Presidents weekend (admittedly it was COLD) and there was no one there. I never waited and lots of time skied onto a series of empty chairs.

That Saturday of Presidents weekend was the busiest day I have skied there this year, including any day during Christmas week. Sunday the snow was falling horizontal to the ground at around 35mph here in Ennis and I decided I really didn't want to drive Jack's Creek Road in those conditions so I stayed home.

The only time Ramcharger needs more capacity is when there is a race going on when it gets really crowded with racers.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I just read the press release about the new lift and the best part is they are moving the bottom terminal 50 feet uphill. Hopefully that will help with the congestion. I've always thought that the base of Ramcharger and Swifty were too close to each other.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just read the press release about the new lift and the best part is they are moving the bottom terminal 50 feet uphill. Hopefully that will help with the congestion. I've always thought that the base of Ramcharger and Swifty were too close to each other.

Yes, especially because for whatever reason a lot of people seem to think the spot to wait for buddies is right between the two lifts! (I have a hard time understanding why people think it's a good plan to wait there or right in front of the liftlines while waiting).

Liftblog has more coverage . . . https://liftblog.com/2018/03/07/big...mericas-first-eight-passenger-chairlift-more/

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Given the loading problem discussed in another thread, this 8 pack will just give four people more elbow room.

And more importantly a warm butt. My daughter thought the new Powderseeker was kind of a BS lift, putting all of that technology into such a short lift, until she actually rode in it. Now she is sold. The heated seat and bubble will be wonderful on a cold windy day riding up Andes. They need one of these to replace the Six-Shooter also, that is one cold lift ride in the morning.

Doin1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

I think it might say what the expansion is going to need. They mention that they hope to proceed with the hotel at Spanish Peaks soon.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
And more importantly a warm butt. My daughter thought the new Powderseeker was kind of a BS lift, putting all of that technology into such a short lift, until she actually rode in it. Now she is sold. The heated seat and bubble will be wonderful on a cold windy day riding up Andes. They need one of these to replace the Six-Shooter also, that is one cold lift ride in the morning.

It's short only because it's so fast. No one called the old Lone Peak triple "short" (especially when the wind was howling, the snow was blowing, and the lift stopped because the wind triggered it).

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think it might say what the expansion is going to need. They mention that they hope to proceed with the hotel at Spanish Peaks soon.

Yeah, but Southern Comfort upgrade is off in the future, and they'd need that to get people over from Spanish Peaks.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty cool stuff. Glad to be able to get there next year and ride these new lifts.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty cool stuff. Glad to be able to get there next year and ride these new lifts.

The new lift factor can't be underestimated for those visiting BS. The old Lone Peak Triple was empty unless a powder day, but the Powder Seeker did create a buzz with visitors. A fixed grip quad would have served well to replace the triple, but the bubble six pack was a marketer's dream.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
The new lift factor can't be underestimated for those visiting BS. The old Lone Peak Triple was empty unless a powder day, but the Powder Seeker did create a buzz with visitors. A fixed grip quad would have served well to replace the triple, but the bubble six pack was a marketer's dream.

Trust me, when I tell my wife Big Sky has two heated and covered lifts servicing he terrain we will likely ski the most it makes an impact.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Trust me, when I tell my wife Big Sky has two heated and covered lifts servicing the terrain we will likely ski the most it makes an impact.

The BS marketing department is probably already doing a happy dance. Will you two be wearing "Wild" or "Northstar" jerseys on the slopes? A lot of both around this week.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
The BS marketing department is probably already doing a happy dance. Will you two be wearing "Wild" or "Northstar" jerseys on the slopes? A lot of both around this week.

Probably University of North Dakota jerseys to be honest ha!

There are a lot of people that ski in MN FYI. Our per capita skier count is pretty impressive for how crappy our hills are.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In case anyone hasn't heard, I just wanted to let any of the Big Sky locals know to get ready... the Gathering is coming to Big Sky next season!

We'll fill that new 8 pack and then some. :)

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
In case anyone hasn't heard, I just wanted to let any of the Big Sky locals know to get ready... the Gathering is coming to Big Sky next season!

We'll fill that new 8 pack and then some. :)

I hope they plan to go slumming at Bridger for a couple days.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
My concern is Swifty may not make another 3 years with the reoccurring drive issues. To be fair this past Xmas week Swifty didn't have to run on diesel for a change, but the lift like Ram Charger runs all summer.

I wonder how an 8 pack will handle the cross wind near the summit of Andesite? Since I rely on the Ram charger to get home without a hike or giving my skis a Wyoming base grind on Low Dog road, a wind resistant up grade is welcome.

The new lift will be similar to the Powder Seeker. They're designed to handle significantly more wind than previous lifts. If it's too windy for those lifts it may be too windy for most folks to ski.

For some guests, a more important announced improvement is the complete remodel of the Mall building. The remodeling of the cafeteria will be a great upgrade for many customers. A remodeling of the ground floor will follow the next year.

Powder seeker was thought to be overkill by most locals, me included, but the improved lift brought more skiers to the bowl area. My guess is they expect the new 8 seater to bring additional attention to Andesite and take some of the load off of Swifty. There is a lot of underutilized space on Andesite. Moving Ramcharger quad to the back side will encourage more folks to take a look at that terrain too.

I agree, the addition of a gondola for 2020 probably has a lot to do with the decision to put the 8 pack on Andesite. Short Term view VS Long Term.

Mechanical problems certainly impact the older quads at all resorts but I think WIND and skier mistakes are more often the culprit. We also do a lot of avalanche blasting at Big Sky. Sometimes the higher lifts are closed because of avalanche control in areas ABOVE the lifts. Guests sometimes start their day and see that "X" lift is closed and assume it is closed due to a problem when it's just a safety related delayed opening.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
The new lift will be similar to the Powder Seeker. They're designed to handle significantly more wind than previous lifts. If it's too windy for those lifts it may be too windy for most folks to ski.

I disagree, there have been a number of times the Powder Seeker has been on wind hold and lifts like Challenger and Headwaters have kept turning. Moving the current Ram Charger HSQ to Shedhorn will be interesting as both the current Sheddy double and the Ram Charger HSQ struggle to stay running in a cross wind. I am also curious how the racers will get their gear up on the new 8 pack with the bubble, restrictive foot rests and high chair back, it is tough carrying a pack on the Powder Seeker with 5 others who want the bubble and leg rest down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January