• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that any skiing will open up again this Spring in CO.

Skiing was a major vector for spread early on. Aspen, Vail, CB in particular. In some sense day trippers could use that point as well.

Big thing is Gov Polis and state health officials right now think we are MONTHS not weeks or days from peak ICU needs in CO, and they are unsure if the stay at home order has had the full effect they wished.

It will take big and unexpected changes for May to have skiing, and probably the same for June. Life below 8000 feet might start looking a little more normal, but I hear nothing from local officials in CO that would permit the kind of mass gathering ABasin would create.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think I remember now... looks like I am preparing myself to ssssssski, yeah that’s it! ogwink
Going through the pictures to find these was fun and I laughed a lot.
Yes preparing to...

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
:ogbiggrin:
Here's a few photos from last May 2019 at the PugSki A-Basin Gathering. Good times!
L-R: Old Boot, Jimmy, Rachel, Lady S, Tricia, Ric, Paul, Mike Gary, Mary.
pugski pug gang (2).jpg
L-R: Bob, Jimmy, TonyS, SusanB and son
pugski bob (2).jpg
@jimmy 's either very fired up or yawning:ogbiggrin:
pugski jimmy sunday (2).jpg
Lady S, Jim, Paul
pugski lady salina (2).jpg
Mary
pugski mary (2).jpg
Phil
pugski phil zuma (2).jpg
Tricia and Phil, ski road warriors! Have skis, will travel.
pugski pugs (2).jpg

Last edited:

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
It’s totally possible to enforce social distancing in ski areas.

But the optics are bad. A “crowd” at the bottom waiting for lifts. I seriously doubt any area will take that risk.

I skied on March 14, the last day of Colorado season. And the only day the mountains TRIED social distancing. It wasn’t quite perfect. But it was close enough. The nature of skiing is you want a big space around you even during normal time.

With lodges closed, the only place you see other people are the lift lines. Managed that, you achieve social distancing.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Please explain how. :popcorn:
To start, they need to limit parking to cut down on total number of people on the hill. (Btw, that’s what’s happening in some of the popular state parks in NY. You don’t find parking? You can’t go in)

On the lift lines, the skis limits how close you can get to the people in front. That’s 6’ easily.

Block off alternate lanes in the liftline maze. That’s 6’ between lines (sideway).

People get antsy by the long line? Not if you limit the number by limiting parking. If you can keep the line short, there’ll be plenty of space/separation.

No sharing of chairs by multiple parties. Solo skiers will simply ride up alone!

That WAS how it went on March 14 at Crested Butte. (With the exception of the neighboring lanes being too close part) No one complains. Very orderly. The wait was a bit on the long side. But that can be easily alleviated by limiting parking.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To start, they need to limit parking to cut down on total number of people on the hill. (Btw, that’s what’s happening in some of the popular state parks in NY. You don’t find parking? You can’t go in)

On the lift lines, the skis limits how close you can get to the people in front. That’s 6’ easily.

Block off alternate lanes in the liftline maze. That’s 6’ between lines (sideway).

People get antsy by the long line? Not if you limit the number by limiting parking. If you can keep the line short, there’ll be plenty of space/separation.

No sharing of chairs by multiple parties. Solo skiers will simply ride up alone!

That WAS how it went on March 14 at Crested Butte. (With the exception of the neighboring lanes being too close part) No one complains. Very orderly. The wait was a bit on the long side. But that can be easily help by limiting parking.
So..12 people on the hill? ;) Limit parking? People will park up and down the road and walk in. Congragating at the coral "waiting for the last person in the group. Base lodge? They reason New Hampshire areas finally had to close was that even though they had 4 chairs to a 8 person table, people moved chairs to be together. What about "apre/tailgating" in the parking lot and on the beach? We are talking about A-Basin. Add to the fact that it could be the ONLY place open in the west?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:ogbiggrin:
Here's a few photos from last May 2019 at the PugSki A-Basin Gathering. Good times!
L-R: Old Boot, Jimmy, Rachel, Lady S, Tricia, Ric, Paul, Mike Gary, Mary.
View attachment 99230
L-R: Bob, Jimmy, TonyS, SusanB and son
View attachment 99231
Jimmy's either very fired up or yawing:ogbiggrin:
View attachment 99232
Lady S, Jim, Paul
View attachment 99233
Mary
View attachment 99234
Phil
View attachment 99235
Tricia and Phil, ski road warriors! Have skis, will travel.
View attachment 99236
Those are great pictures. And I'm glad you introduced Paul to the crew.
And that pic of @jimmy is priceless!

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Base lodge?
In CB, the base lodge wasn’t free for all. Keep in mind, family should be allowed to sit as closed as they wish.

Limit parking? People will park up and down the road and walk in.
They can put up signs to prohibit it. They can even pull passes of people don’t follow

“12 people on the hill”

The alternatives is zero people on the hill.

“beach”? What beach? So you think people rather NOT ski than to forgo the partying afterward?

Last edited:

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier

That WAS how it went on March 14 at Crested Butte. (With the exception of the neighboring lanes being too close part) No one complains. Very orderly. The wait was a bit on the long side. But that can be easily alleviated by limiting parking.

Exactly. It can be done and you can safely have far more than 12 people on the mountain. You won't have après, but that will return soon enough.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
So..12 people on the hill? ;) Limit parking? People will park up and down the road and walk in. Congragating at the coral "waiting for the last person in the group. Base lodge? They reason New Hampshire areas finally had to close was that even though they had 4 chairs to a 8 person table, people moved chairs to be together. What about "apre/tailgating" in the parking lot and on the beach? We are talking about A-Basin. Add to the fact that it could be the ONLY place open in the west?

I agree that initially there will be a portion of the people that make it more risky for others but I think proper signage that says "break these rules and risk losing your pass" from the moment people drive into the parking lot, strict policing of the parking (literally have a cop or 2 patrolling the lots) and base areas and then lift precautions like stated above, and it could be done. Yeah, A Basin attracts a certain crowd but if we wait for all of the knuckleheads to start following the rules, things will never open up. I think you make the strict rules clear up front and then start making examples out of those not following them and people start to understand what the new normal looks like and what's expected of them if they are to be given the privileges of a grownup. Here in Asheville, the MTB and kayaking community is finding a way to do our activities in a safe manner. Setting shuttle for kayaking is the big challenge but most of us are avoiding carpooling unless in the bed of a pickup and have figured ways to self-shuttle by dropping our boats and gear at the put-in, driving to the take out and then either biking or jogging shuttle back to the top so that we never have to be within 6' of anyone. I know it would be impossible to enforce but as much as I'd love to get in a late Spring session at A Basin, I think it should only be allowed for locals during these times as we surely don't need people like me flying in just to ski (but damn do I want to).

Sponsor

Staff online