• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
You're looking a the snowfields on the top of Mt. Washington, which is above Tuckerman Ravine. You can get there by driving up the Auto Road, for a fee, once they open it in the spring. There are buildings (the Mt. Washington Observatory) at the summit, and parking lots. The observatory is occupied all year by meteorologists and hangers-on. The auto road is not open to visitors in the winter because it's impassable unless you go in one of these:
SnowCoach.jpg

If you drive up in the summer, hold onto your socks. It can be thrilling (or very frightening, depending on your tolerance for driving around corners on a narrow dirt road with a very big drop on one side and barely room for two cars to pass).

For green season visitors, there's a visitors center up there.

Thanks. Will have to check it out sometime. I lived in southern california for 15 years and drove up to big bear along what I considered gnarly mountain turns. There's 3 ways up there and the front way is the gnarliest. I drove that regularly so maybe I'll be fine. Either way, it will be cool to visit there this summer. I'll bring the xanax just in case :)

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Here's Travis Pastrana setting the record for speed up that hill, POV camera.
Check out the terrain around 4:00- 5:00.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Looks like a fun time. Where is this place? I know it's not Tuckermans and it's "somewhere in New Hampshire" but that's it :)

We drove up the Auto Road and parked in a pull out within site of the summit. You can see part of the rock surround of the pull out in the photo of the observatory. We walked about 100 meters on rock to the top of the snow.

My father lived on the summit for a while when he did contract work for the USAF sometime in the 50s. They were testing jet engines in the extreme, but relatively easy to access conditions.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
We drove up the Auto Road and parked in a pull out within site of the summit. You can see part of the rock surround of the pull out in the photo of the observatory. We walked about 100 meters on rock to the top of the snow.
They would not let us drive up the Auto Road in Trish's Saturn SL2 sedan. Claimed it lacked a low gear.:(

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
They can be quite accomodating at the gate as I posted earlier, but they won't let you be a hazard to yourself or others. The tours they offer are pretty nice. A tour can really save wear and tear on your vehicle and enhance the experience.

James

Out There
Instructor
Cog Railway if it's a nice day!
It was pretty cool. That path has snowmaking pipes on it but theyr'e no longer used.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You would have to do some tricky clutch work if you came to a standstill in a standard shift.

Sponsor

Staff online