• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love this video. Wait for it - it gets good at 0:39.

Major points to the OP for titling the thread Tuckerman and not Tuckermen's.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I was traversing the upper snowfield and saw the most insane face first slide EVER (no photos).
This guy just behind me is nipping at my heals. I let him pass. He is not digging his ski boot toes
into the steep slope. I yell at him that he should do this. He ignores me and continues 20 feet but then:

He slips and starts sliding face first down the steep upper snowfield then face first over the vertical lip
finally stopping on his belly 10 feet before the boulders at the end of the lower bowl.

He did not move for 5 minutes and, in total amazement, I really thought he was dead.

Then, in even more amazement, I see him get up and start walking like nothing is wrong. Slide was
at least 600 vertical feet. :eek:

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Major points to the OP for titling the thread Tuckerman and not Tuckermen's.

I have heard that claim before, but I can tell you that my father, who skied there starting in the 1940's, climbed every 4000' peak in New Hampshire, and taught at UNH, called it Tuckerman's. The locals have the right to call it whatever they wish.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Some pix from 2005...

top-looking down.JPG
Tuckerman2.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tucks Tomahawk
Oooooof!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
That place looks absolutely GNARLY. Wow. No fall Zone skiing for sure. Makes the Highland Bowl at Aspen look like a blue run.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Tucks Tomahawk
Oooooof!

ROTFLMAO

Love the commentators!

JAJAJA, Funny since he seems to make it out in one piece!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I did a search for Tuckerman Ravine and found this thread first. I can't believe I haven't posted here before! For those that don't know, I grew up in North Conway. Mt. Washington and the Joe Dodge forecast were a part of my daily life.

I liked @newfydog 's post of his dad's recollection of skiing it.

I'm visiting my parents in NH. My brother suggested that we go skiing so I'm borrowing my Dad's boots, brothers Olin Outer Limits and all the other gear I'll need. We'll drive up the auto road and do some skiing on Mt. Washington. We won't be hitting Tuck's though. Probably just snowfields for an easy fun day. And it looks like it might be a fifty center, too!

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm visiting my parents in NH. My brother suggested that we go skiing so I'm borrowing my Dad's boots, brothers Olin Outer Limits and all the other gear I'll need. We'll drive up the auto road and do some skiing on Mt. Washington. We won't be hitting Tuck's though. Probably just snowfields for an easy fun day. And it looks like it might be a fifty center, too!
I skied the snowfields just this past Saturday. Still in great condition. Weather isn't so great this weekend though if that's what you're aiming for.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the ski report. We'll be up there tomorrow around noonish. It may not be a fifty center, just a 35 center perhaps, but it will be skiing. and it will be the BIg One.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Car skiing is the bomb. The weather was pleasant and the wind was much greater at the road than on the snow which made for pleasant skiing. It was surface slush with an easy to ski base.
20180524_152918.jpg

At the top of the run. Looking towards Wildcat.
20180524_144847.jpg

Climbing up after the first run of about 450 vertical. The snow to the looker's right was pretty fresh and plush.

20180524_162918.jpg

Spaceship or lenticular cloud.

P5245520.JPG

Alien being.

20180524_164233.jpg

The observatory.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Be sure of your low gear strength if you drive up the auto road to ski on the "beach."
I only did it once, and it cost me new brakes. On the trip down, low gear was not slow enough for safety.
It was a heavy car, I guess.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the tip. My brother's Honda ate it up. He has a pass and is a regular up and down the road.

I once tried to go up with a truck load of friends on a free pass I'd received. The gate keeper said I was too heavily loaded, but that he'd let us take two vehicles on the one pass. Woo hoo!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Car skiing is the bomb. The weather was pleasant and the wind was much greater at the road than on the snow which made for pleasant skiing. It was surface slush with an easy to ski base.
View attachment 46644
At the top of the run. Looking towards Wildcat.
View attachment 46643
Climbing up after the first run of about 450 vertical. The snow to the looker's right was pretty fresh and plush.

View attachment 46642
Spaceship or lenticular cloud.

View attachment 46641
Alien being.

View attachment 46645
The observatory.

Looks like a fun time. Where is this place? I know it's not Tuckermans and it's "somewhere in New Hampshire" but that's it :)

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Looks like a fun time. Where is this place? I know it's not Tuckermans and it's "somewhere in New Hampshire" but that's it :)

You're looking a the snowfields on the top of Mt. Washington, which is above Tuckerman Ravine. You can get there by driving up the Auto Road, for a fee, once they open it in the spring.

There are buildings (the Mt. Washington Observatory) at the summit, and parking lots. The observatory is occupied all year by meteorologists and hangers-on. The auto road is not open to visitors in the winter because it's impassable unless you go in one of these:
SnowCoach.jpg

If you drive up in the summer, hold onto your socks. It can be thrilling (or very frightening, depending on your tolerance for driving around corners on a narrow dirt road with a very big drop on one side and barely room for two cars to pass).

For green season visitors, there's a visitors center up there as part of the Observatory, and it serves food of some sort but I forget how elaborate that service is.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
People race the auto road on foot, race car drivers drive up it to beat the last record holder's time, bikers ride up it on Ride to the Sky day, bicyclers race up it, skiers drive up it before the snow melts to ski what's left in spring. It's a pilgrimage to go up that thing in summer, just like it's a pilgrimage to hike up to Tucks in the spring.

If you're a summer hiker and you hike up to the summit (exceptional hikes are possible from both sides of the mountain), it's annoying when you arrive sweaty and tired and all you see up there are tourists who drove up in air-conditioned cars, or who took the bus. Very annoying.

Last edited:

Sponsor