• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
'A quick one' (while he's away)

Really, it was a quick tour. One run. Not a soul in sight. I was kind of surprised by that.

IMG_20200323_100455698.jpg
The skin track took a hit with some walkers, but it was just aesthetics that were lost.

The snow was good on the top half but suncrusted further down.

IMG_20200323_102034174_HDR.jpg
Guyot and Baldy under a dark skies.

IMG_20200323_102206010.jpg
I'm going Grizzly Adams. Slowly

From today's soundtrack on the way up.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
A message from Al

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The skinning in the clear cut was good yesterday, the skiing crusty.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So what's the over/under on A-Basin opening up again in May or June?

I dont think they will open. If they do its gonna be such a shitshow that it will for sure be a focus of infection and bad press.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Agree with @Ken_R I'll be surprised if they get a green light to do so by the state.

I'm trying to enjoy this time by planning this summer's adventures and next year's ski trips, but I'm expecting the worst in terms of crowding once we get a relative "all clear."

It would be great to make a few more fun turns at A Basin this season, but I'll be fine if it means making a few crappy turns somewhere without a lift or just moving on to trying find a remote place to hike.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

The reality is that people get too excited about skiing and neglect their social distancing. It didn't work on the last day Breck was open. I can't imagine that after a 2 or 3 month hiatus, people will be less excited.

It would seem that those that never contracted COVID-19 would be pretty nervous about getting close to the general population. The uninfected will have no immunities and apparently, according to reported re-infections, even those that have had it will be able to get it again.

Until there is a vaccine or treatment for it, we are all still potential victims. The virus isn't going to disappear. We are just going to be more experienced and capable at dealing with it.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I heard yesterday that Polis was going to ban ski resorts until July ... I'm not sure if this is just a shot at keeping ABasin from opening, or if it even means for summer activities? or if it's anything more than a rumor. All the caveats should be emptored. (Ok, that "technically" haha should go the other way around, but it didn't sound right like that.)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I heard yesterday that Polis was going to ban ski resorts until July ... I'm not sure if this is just a shot at keeping ABasin from opening, or if it even means for summer activities? or if it's anything more than a rumor. All the caveats should be emptored. (Ok, that "technically" haha should go the other way around, but it didn't sound right like that.)

That's crazy talk. So let me clarify what I was asking with the over/under on A-Basin question. The assumption is that there is an "all clear" pronouncement. Let's say we get the "all clear" before June 1. In that scenario, does A-Basin try to re-open? Note that there would be no more social distancing concern in this scenario.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's crazy talk. So let me clarify what I was asking with the over/under on A-Basin question. The assumption is that there is an "all clear" pronouncement. Let's say we get the "all clear" before June 1. In that scenario, does A-Basin try to re-open? Note that there would be no more social distancing concern in this scenario.

Well, Al said they were planning to reopen if possible ... so I think they will do whatever they can. This thing hasn't helped any ski area, but after ABasin left the Vail partnership, obviously numbers were already down and obviously spring is/was their big draw. So I would think they realllllly need a little more revenue if possible, parking lots be damned.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Gov about to issue statewide stay at home order.

I give slim chances to ABasin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online