• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
What exactly does "lock down" entail? Feels pretty locked down In Eagle Co. already.

I can't speak for further east, but Vail was relatively quite today. Only a slight uptick from the prior two days.

I assume it will be the same as or similar to what is in place in CA, NY, IL,... all discretionary travel is banned. We can go out to buy food and medication and that's about it.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
It's confirmed based on the intel I have received. CO goes to lock down on Monday.
On what grounds are you making this claim? It is rather bold.

Not that it would be unexpected to me. My wife and I are figuring end of next week when case approach 1,000. But pure guess in our part.

Are you saying you have credible inside information that the governor will issue a stay at home directive on Sunday or Monday?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
On what grounds are you making this claim? It is rather bold.

Not that it would be unexpected to me. My wife and I are figuring end of next week when case approach 1,000. But pure guess in our part.

Are you saying you have credible inside information that the governor will issue a stay at home directive on Sunday or Monday?

I heard the same from my SIL, who usually knows things before they happen. It’s at least abuzz from people inside gov’t.

I don’t think any of us are making a claim, just passing along stuff that is probably stronger than rumor.

And even without that, the way this all works is that nobody can afford to be the leader who said “f**ck it”. Even Trump who was calling it a hoax earlier this month has had to scramble. He cost us so much preparation time - it’s the original sin. And we are all going to pay for it.

There is nothing to say this means banning being outdoors, but it very well might given how people are ignoring what is happening. Italy has been on lockdown for several weeks and just had 700 deaths (not cases) in 24 hours. We are about 10 days behind them.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Based on California, it seems most outdoor activities in including cycling are allowed under lockdown. Here's a source I trust that dug into the question in CA:
Hiking or biking on a busy front range single tracks seems like too many people and impossible to keep a safe distance. I wonder if they will close some of the busy parks.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Similar to @nay my info is based on a family friend who is connected to the state government. I'll leave it at that.

Just saw that the CA governor is threatening much stronger law enforcement crack-downs on "kids" not respecting the lock down there. Hopefully we'll be safer/smarter in how we handle this in CO.

Reactions: nay

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today is day one of my virtual Colorado vacation. Sounds like we'd have hit the snow right, had we been able to keep the real vacation plans.

Oh well, see ya' next year, the good lord willing, and the creek don't rise.

Last edited:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today is day one of my virtual Colorado vacation. Sounds like we'd have hit the snow right, had we been able to keep the real vacation plans.

Oh well, see ya' next year, the good lord willing, and the creek don't rise.

If you were going to Copper yep you would have hit it right. Hopefully next season the snow will be great and you will hit it right again ogsmile

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I needed to say goodbye to Loveland after a hard year of training that never reached its conclusion. A year that kept me from ever skiing backcountry with my pup. So we went out early, knocked off 3000' of vert, never crossed another person until the parking lot where pup said hi to a couple on a 10' leash. There's been a lot of hubbub about Loveland this weekend and social distancing. I can say I had no problem maintaining it. Several times more social distancing than my run in Denver yesterday--as all parks and paths are packed with people. It's all a matter of timing and knowing where to go.

If the season is over now, I'm okay with it. (Though I'd love the freedom to ski a few big corn missions if it makes social sense).

90975211_495207718034007_6070739954235867136_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you were going to Copper yep you would have hit it right. Hopefully next season the snow will be great and you will hit it right again ogsmile
That’s exactly where we were headed, with a couple days at LL, too. Haven’t ever been to LL and 2020 was going to be the year . . .

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I assume it will be the same as or similar to what is in place in CA, NY, IL,... all discretionary travel is banned. We can go out to buy food and medication and that's about it.
The Mayor is Denver talked about it on Friday in a press conference. The idea is not exactly being hidden. The CO Springs Gazette ran an article on the topic.

I just don’t think putting up rumors—even somewhat informed rumors—is wise. When you promote a rumor and it doesn’t happen, then future information becomes discredited.

we have a public obligation to follow thesocial distancing instructions as they already exist.

And it would not be unwise to behave in a manor as if we were already in the situation NYC or Italy find themselves in. You don’t swerve after you hit the oncoming wall, you swerve early to avoid the accident.

When it comes to a public crisis hearsay and rumor do more harm in the general

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The Mayor is Denver talked about it on Friday in a press conference. The idea is not exactly being hidden. The CO Springs Gazette ran an article on the topic.

I just don’t think putting up rumors—even somewhat informed rumors—is wise. When you promote a rumor and it doesn’t happen, then future information becomes discredited.

we have a public obligation to follow thesocial distancing instructions as they already exist.

And it would not be unwise to behave in a manor as if we were already in the situation NYC or Italy find themselves in. You don’t swerve after you hit the oncoming wall, you swerve early to avoid the accident.

It can do harm if it's truly just a bad rumor, but this info can also help friends and acquaintances to get a jump start on whatever additional preparations they may need. I shared the information to help. If you don't want it, you can just ignore it. I would not have shared it if I didn't think it was credible.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Regardless of what the Government says and when it is the time now to lock it down. We can start ourselves if you havent already.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, until they stop me (which may be pending), I will try to skin up, at the Love or wherever: I am a person at risk, but think there is less risk for me up there than down here, mostly. Social distancing should be easy - especially since I have high motivation to practice it for myself: if someone is coming along the same track, I'm going to be ten feet plus out very quickly as they pass, whatever they do: same as in City Park.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much locked down now.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The little clear cut seems to be getting a little more popular, but early arrival is rewarded with more fresh and fewer 'small group exercise outings'. I saw 5 or 6 until I reached the trailhead and some visitors were walking up.

IMG_20200322_104725238_HDR.jpg
The sheltered spot in the woods. The sky cleared up but the wind remained.

IMG_20200322_112049168_HDR (2).jpg
la directissima.

IMG_20200322_124918545 (2).jpg
First turns of the day. The were gone with the wind by the time I returned for more.

IMG_20200322_104941268.jpg
Powder SL.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The little clear cut seems to be getting a little more popular, but early arrival is rewarded with more fresh and fewer 'small group exercise outings'. I saw 5 or 6 until I reached the trailhead and some visitors were walking up.

View attachment 97451
The sheltered spot in the woods. The sky cleared up but the wind remained.

View attachment 97449
la directissima.

View attachment 97448
First turns of the day. The were gone with the wind by the time I returned for more.

View attachment 97450
Powder SL.

Keep 'em coming... I think many of us are now living vicariously through your mini-tour reports. :)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Keep 'em coming... I think many of us are now living vicariously through your mini-tour reports. :)
Thanks.

These are special days and I think of the great people in my ski family whenever I'm out making turns.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

i think this is coming to other counties. People cannot be turned away at hospitals by federal law, and getting hurt in the backcountry is competition for a bed and staff as well as taking medical personnel off the front lines:

I was out mountain biking today. It was fantastic. I don’t want to see this happen. But I completely understand it, and it probably should, because you can’t somehow sign a waiver the contradicts federal law.

FD7022DD-DEA8-4CE7-9BCC-3819C9226B79.jpeg

Island in the Sky on Oil Well Flats above Canyon City.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

I am headed down Gunnison tomorrow for emergency housing check out from Western CO U with my older sons and two of their friends. We are going as early as possible before travel bans, because once that happens who knows when we can get back there.

This is coming everywhere, sooner than later. None of this really requires rumor at this point. As far as I am personally concerned...

92ADBCD7-29CE-4C4C-93AA-D482C589E306.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online