• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Based on the Governor's update yesterday, I know Copper will not be open for the last scheduled weekend. I was holding out and hoping for the best but knew this would probably happen. On to looking forward to next season although the tentative opening day has me wondering. You can look at the Nov. calendar and probably figure out the date pretty quick.

I started to reminisce. This was from back in early Jan. It was definitely a cold snowy start to the day. Now it seems like it was a long time ago.

IMG_0399.JPG

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Based on the Governor's update yesterday, I know Copper will not be open for the last scheduled weekend. I was holding out and hoping for the best but knew this would probably happen. On to looking forward to next season although the tentative opening day has me wondering. You can look at the Nov. calendar and probably figure out the date pretty quick.

I started to reminisce. This was from back in early Jan. It was definitely a cold snowy start to the day. Now it seems like it was a long time ago.

View attachment 99087

At this point no single resort will be able to open. If one does, the ensuing :poo:show will be of EPIC proportions. Just pure madness. Even if there is lots of snow in June and we are in the clear with COVID-19 A-Basin just should not open.

Reactions: nay

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_20200408_143120191_crop2.jpg
3D railroad tracks on the left. 3D SL on the right.

IMG_20200408_132211395_BURST000_COVER_crop.jpg
The run from the top.

IMG_20200408_130234380.jpg
Who knew there was a bar open part way down?! Seating for one.

These photos were taken with zero objective hazard. Pretty soon this slope will be too thin/soft to ski. For now, it is only hazardous to walk.
IMG_20200408_134349069.jpg IMG_20200408_134913397_HDR.jpg
The 'hiker' wandered off an established walking trail, hiked up ski tracks until they were unpassable, then followed them over to the skin track. They continued up and over the top of the ski hill where they disappeared on the horizon. Fortunately only aesthetics were lost.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am really missing being in CO right now. Next weekend was going to be my "spring" trip to Breck for 4 days of skiing

Reactions: nay

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
View attachment 99299
3D railroad tracks on the left. 3D SL on the right.

View attachment 99298
The run from the top.

View attachment 99300
Who knew there was a bar open part way down?! Seating for one.

These photos were taken with zero objective hazard. Pretty soon this slope will be too thin/soft to ski. For now, it is only hazardous to walk.
View attachment 99302 View attachment 99301
The 'hiker' wandered off an established walking trail, hiked up ski tracks until they were unpassable, then followed them over to the skin track. They continued up and over the top of the ski hill where they disappeared on the horizon. Fortunately only aesthetics were lost.
Crucify them! Incredibly bad form, been dealing with it for weeks.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I am really missing being in CO right now. Next weekend was going to be my "spring" trip to Breck for 4 days of skiing
Do you see the third right footed turn in the left hand track? That was for you. :cool:

I hate to say how beautiful the ski area looks right now, but it is nearly pristine. Some people have defied the no trespassing signs and let their mark in Horseshoe Bowl.

IMG_20200409_154046920_HDR_crop2.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Crucify them! Incredibly bad form, been dealing with it for weeks.
I figure they got their just desserts as they didn't ski or ride and clearly had a loooong way to go from where I saw their tracks.

As long as the postholes don't prevent me from climbing in the track, it is just a visual disturbance.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Funny you mention the skiers at Breck poaching resort.
They have removed the webcams from the resort webpage, but I was looking at the ones posted here last week

Its facinating to see how the mountain looks in a near-pristine state.
As I was watching, the shot of the cam on focused on Horseshoe Bowl, I noticed there was a group of skiers who had skinned/bootpacked up part-way on Imperial Ridge above the T-Bar. I watched them as they started down and completely laid it down on an untracked Horseshoe Bowl.
What I thought was interesting, was as the group of 4 was ripping down the bowl and a pretty high clip, they pulled an abrupt, hard-right and were cooking hard over toward the exit by Vista House. I think they knew they were probably being watched and had to make an abrupt escape. Pretty much anyone in town could probably have seen them up there.

Spnole

Getting on the lift
Skier
all the vail resorts in Tahoe pulled their webcams down the day after they closed probably for this very reason... what's the penalty? maybe a trespassing charge?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
all the vail resorts in Tahoe pulled their webcams down the day after they closed probably for this very reason... what's the penalty? maybe a trespassing charge?
A trespassing charge is possible.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you see the third right footed turn in the left hand track? That was for you. :cool:

I hate to say how beautiful the ski area looks right now, but it is nearly pristine. Some people have defied the no trespassing signs and let their mark in Horseshoe Bowl.

View attachment 99375
Thanks for taking some turns for me - until next year!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well at least it’s not really snowing and has been melting early.

7453B5CE-CD99-4DEF-AC1C-03FE344D4B59.jpeg

Also, me in hero mode.

C7FC4E70-FB42-4430-AFE1-27A369191F4D.jpeg

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like Eldora is the big winner for this round of snow. About 18" of powdery stuff. Their normal closing date was this past Sun. Maybe they would have extended a week but who knows? Temp this morning feels a hec more like Jan than mid April that's for sure.

Last edited:

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Man it looks like this would've been a good first half of April for Colorado skiing.
A-Basin looks awesome.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
My folks live pretty darn close to Memorial North and Children's COS, we had the Thunderbirds fly right over their front yard. Powers Blvd (US 21) was lined with people waiting.

Fun, but far short of a full air show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online