• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
I'm guessing the drop you were hoping for didn't happen? I wonder how much more snow is needed before xxx xxxxxx can open?
Directive happened Monday. No bombs yesterday, xxxx did not spin today. Plenty of snow on lots of aspects, it's all about safety now. Maybe they'll hold off on more until they see me next Tuesday...:huh: could happen......:golfclap:

Brunell4070

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey all. Long time reader first time poster. Just moved to CO and into my apt today in front range. What should one expect for travel conditions tomorrow for Breck?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
You will have lots of company. There are a few hundred thousand others who have moved here recently too.
It could be ugly.
I would plan on hitting the Hogback no later than 6:15.
It is a weekday, but that no longer matters.
Safe travels.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Hey all. Long time reader first time poster. Just moved to CO and into my apt today in front range. What should one expect for travel conditions tomorrow for Breck?

It’s not snowing all that hard, I think you’ll be fine. Just leave relatively early.

One variable we appear to be seeing is furloughed workers skiing in days they normally wouldn’t (per a lift conversation with such a skier), so things are even less predictable, like almost getting hit by snowboarders at Loveland when Loveland traditionally doesn’t have persistent snowboarders due to walking terrain off some of the best pitches.

But correlation is not causation, except for the absolute guarantee of a CMV disregarding chain laws and getting stuck near Bakerville sometime around 7:48am.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Time for an update.

44F8E37A-19D1-4A41-AE65-7685D2C955C3.png

As usual, a perfect graphic to show that how snow falls, and what wind does with it, is more important than how much snow falls.

Doesnt look like we’ll be hanging with 2011, so time to bring back in other recent years for comparison.

A0E8E2B0-77FF-4227-9F7E-6FBEBB1E3F51.png

Doesn’t feel like a mid-pack year, does it?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
It's another Powder Day at the Boat.

as of 5:18 AM, 8* = Blower. I'm calling it a solid 8" since the close and 6" yesterday (per snow stake at 4)

Here's the "since 4om " and Since yesterday. For those who watch the totals, Steamboat is officially reporting 5" at the summit.... :).

upload_2019-1-24_5-18-25.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-24_6-1-25.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-24_6-1-25.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
And Luv is reporting 6”, so should be an awesome day on the upper mountain.

Although here’s 10” at Jane, weird camera angle nothwithstanding.

D71C4235-0A10-4C36-A6D2-469AC629CB9B.png

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
"Sneaky" Powder day in a LOT of areas. Days like today are the best days. no crowds no stress, fresh powder all day...

Too bad I couldnt make it to the MTNs today...

:huh::doh: :(

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
"Sneaky" Powder day in a LOT of areas. Days like today are the best days. no crowds no stress, fresh powder all day...

Too bad I couldnt make it to the MTNs today...

:huh::doh: :(
I drove down from Frisco this morning and it was a solid stream of cars headed west the whole drive.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So skiing with @aveski tomorrow. He planned this one perfectly. Should be close to a foot of legit champagne powder tomorrow. Now where’s @Jerez ??????? :huh:

I know!!! But we had a nice surprise powder day here too. VideoCapture_20190122-184421.jpg
Looks like yours will be light and fluffy. Go eat it up @Ron before you know what...

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@Jerez - that looks great, tell mr. Jerez, he looks good!

Snow here was wind affected up high but pics are coming forth.... There wasnt much that wasn't knee deep and we have videos of one shot that was waist deep.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
No traffic (16 min drive to LUV) and hardly any cars in the lot. Should be a good day!

Good day indeed but I encountered the worst whiteout conditions I've ever had while skiing. I mistakenly stayed on chair 4 to the top thinking I'd ski the ridge down towards 9 and back to 4 but I couldn't see a foot in front of me and couldn't often tell whether I was stopped or still moving. I own a flight school and spend a lot of time flying/training in clouds but have never been as disoriented as I was a few times today. Still fun and tomorrow should be good as well as the blowing snow refilled the tracks about every other run.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Good day indeed but I encountered the worst whiteout conditions I've ever had while skiing. I mistakenly stayed on chair 4 to the top thinking I'd ski the ridge down towards 9 and back to 4 but I couldn't see a foot in front of me and couldn't often tell whether I was stopped or still moving. I own a flight school and spend a lot of time flying/training in clouds but have never been as disoriented as I was a few times today. Still fun and tomorrow should be good as well as the blowing snow refilled the tracks about every other run.

Gotta luv the Luv. ;)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Wrong place wrong time

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Vail did not suck. I have a newfound affection for skiing the back bowls in whiteout.
Between the falling snow and the constant face shots, it was sublime - if not somewhat visually challenging.
Skied right onto every lift, except Chair 5, which might have been 2 minutes.
Keep it coming, Ullr!
:daffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor